bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Cor 6:14  (Read 4809 times)

RobRoyal

2 Cor 6:14
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:58:22 AM »

I mailed this question to Ray but I know he's really busy so perhaps I could get your thoughts on this. Do you think 2 Cor. 6:14-18 could be a paralell scripture to Revelation 18:4 refering to coming out of the false religious system rather than the standard evangelical interpretation given that it means "don't marry unbelievers"? It seems to me if God meant "Don't marry unbelievers" He would have said "Don't MARRY unbelievers" rather than making an obscure reference to "unequally yoked".
Appreciate your thoughts
Rob

ned

Re: 2 Cor 6:14
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 09:55:29 AM »

Hi Rob.

"unequally yoked together"
G2086
ἑτεροζυγέω
heterozugeō
het-er-od-zoog-eh'-o
From a compound of G2087 and G2218; to yoke up differently, that is, (figuratively) to associate discordantly: - unequally yoke together with.

I believe it is parallel to Rev18:4.

Eph5:6-7 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

2Cor6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will receive you.

Are these verses not intended for unbelievers and the like,
1Co 7:8  I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

1Co 7:16  For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shall save thy husband? or how knowest thou, o man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Love,
Marie

orion77

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »

Hi Rob.

"unequally yoked together"
G2086
ἑτεροζυγέω
heterozugeō
het-er-od-zoog-eh'-o
From a compound of G2087 and G2218; to yoke up differently, that is, (figuratively) to associate discordantly: - unequally yoke together with.

I believe it is parallel to Rev18:4.

Eph5:6-7 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

2Cor6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will receive you.

Are these verses not intended for unbelievers and the like,
1Co 7:8  I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

1Co 7:16  For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shall save thy husband? or how knowest thou, o man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Love,
Marie

I agree with Marie, those verses parellel each other.  At the time these verses were written it was a transition period, moving from the old covenant to the new.  Yet, even now many still see themselves under the old.  He came and fullfilled the old, we are no longer under the law of Moses, but the law of Christ.  But the many still see themselves under the old, refusing to see the new, attempting to save themselves through righteous works.

God has always had a people who are separate from the rest of the world.  Nowadays, His people are scattered amongst the nations, not the physical jews, but the spiritually circumcised of heart jews. 

We are very lucky these days to be able to communicate with others of the same mind, over the internet.  I cannot find any to communicate face to face these truths with. 

God bless,

Gary

angie

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 12:41:30 PM »

RobRoyal

2Co 6:15   And what concord hath Christ with Belial or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

G955
Βελίαλ
Belial
bel-ee'-al
Of Hebrew origin [H1100]; worthlessness; Belial, as an epithet of Satan: - Belial.

2Co 6:17  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you.

G169
ἀκάθαρτος
akathartos
ak-ath'-ar-tos
From G1 (as a negative particle) and a presumed derivative of G2508 (meaning cleansed); impure (ceremonially, morally (lewd) or specifically (demonic)): - foul, unclean.

I can't see where those would apply to being/getting married to an out and out unbeliever who didn't believe in God in the first place. These unbelievers not called of God have NO doctrine, so are not really demonic or foul. That could be why we are told:

Luk 12:47  And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

A real unbeliever cannot be called a servant of the Lord, would not know His will and would therefore be unable to do it. Next verse tells us about those real unbelievers who hold no doctrine:

Luk 12:48  But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few

This verse reveals to me the absolute mercy of God. He knows that only whom He has called, can be His servant and open to knowing His will. He takes all the responsibility for those He has not called, regarding His will. This is why I don't distress myself when thinking of the fate of unbelievers. These verses reassure me of the fact of no 'eternal punishment' for unbelievers. [they still have the lake of fire for what they have done, but being a total unbeliever plays a small part with 'few stripes'.

Gary

We are very lucky these days to be able to communicate with others of the same mind, over the internet.  I cannot find any to communicate face to face these truths with.

Yes, we are blessed to have been able to find fellowship with those of a 'like mind' regardless of how that comes about in this age of technology. I do feel however that the people we need to commumicate these truths with are those already called by God.  We cant give meat to those who have never had the 'milk'.That means sharing the truths as revealed to you. This is where the 'persecution' part comes in, where 'they will put you out of their synagogues' as we are 'crucified in Christ'
I believe that this is also where it 'pleases God the foolishness of preaching' since this is how he gets His truths to people. I believe that for every false doctrine that God, through us, dispels and squashes in a believer, is akin to casting out demons and indeed is the 'fruit' of the labours God has given us to do.

Just a few thoughts...

Angie
x
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 06:22:52 AM by angie »

RobRoyal

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 07:51:40 PM »

Many thanks Marie, Gary and Angie for your insight. This new way of seeing scripture is still just that: new! I don't trust myself just yet so your thoughts are greatly aprreciated.
God bless'
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.