bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jesus Speaks: Heaven vs. Hell  (Read 16695 times)

SandyFla

Jesus Speaks: Heaven vs. Hell
« on: September 05, 2006, 04:19:18 PM »

In the "E-mails to Ray" section, under the topic "Foolish Preaching," Ray wrote:

Theologians say Jesus spoke twice as much on “hell” as He did “heaven.”  Every couple of months I get an e-mail from someone who informs me that “Jesus spoke twice as much about hell as He did heaven.”  Oh really? And why do they say such a thing?  Because they heard someone else say it and it sounded pleasing to them so they repeated it, and now it has been repeated so many tens of thousands of times around the world that it is virtually Christian dogma.

Jesus spoke of heaven over 120 times. Now then, how often did Jesus speak of hell or hell fire, or more specifically “people in hell?”  Would you think 240 times?  Maybe 150 times?  A hundred times?  Ten times?  One time? Never once?  Let us count the times—you just might be a little shocked.

Yep! I compiled a paper quoting every verse where Jesus used the words "heaven" and "hell." Truth is (as we all probably know), it was the other way around: Jesus spoke about heaven WAAAAY more than He did about hell. The paper is posted in my Yahoo group, Modern-Day Bereans.

Sandy

Joey Porter

Re: Jesus Speaks: Heaven vs. Hell
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 01:29:03 AM »

I  had taken up that study in a very simple manner some time ago.  I just used the biblegateway site and did a search on each word in the gospels.  The word "heaven" outnumbered the word "hell" by such a ratio that it's almost hard to believe.  So, I also factored in all the times He mentioned "outer darkness" or the "fiery furnace," etc.  Even when factoring in those references in addition to the word "hell," the ratio is still not close. 

Again, this is a very simple study with a clear conclusion, and the fact that many theologians and pastors often state the exact opposite shows that they are, at least at this time, blinded to even the simplest truths.

Chris R

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »

Hello,

Zero.. Christ never uttered the word "Hell" once...Hell is a english word, and a very poor translation for the words "hades" or "Gehenna"...Neither of which are even in the same realm of theologians
definitions of this word "hell".

It is nothing more than mans blindness that conceived the definition of "hell" as being a place were men are tormented in fire for ever.

That being said,  Even in the Archaic language were hell is translated from Gehenna...Christ only spoke of man being "cast" into Gehenna twice.

Matthew 5:29-30 Are the exact same verse as Mark 9:43-45  And Matthew 10:28 and Luke 12:5
Are the same verse....Just because they were written by two authors, does not mean the parable was mentioned twice, only that the authors both heard and wrote about the same event.

Peace

Chris R

SandyFla

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:10:38 PM »

I  had taken up that study in a very simple manner some time ago.  I just used the biblegateway site and did a search on each word in the gospels.  The word "heaven" outnumbered the word "hell" by such a ratio that it's almost hard to believe.  So, I also factored in all the times He mentioned "outer darkness" or the "fiery furnace," etc.  Even when factoring in those references in addition to the word "hell," the ratio is still not close. 

Again, this is a very simple study with a clear conclusion, and the fact that many theologians and pastors often state the exact opposite shows that they are, at least at this time, blinded to even the simplest truths.

That's exactly what I did. For those who believe Jesus actually said the word "hell," it still puts the number of times he spoke about heaven far more than hell.

Sandy

orion77

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 01:05:03 AM »

In the "E-mails to Ray" section, under the topic "Foolish Preaching," Ray wrote:

Theologians say Jesus spoke twice as much on “hell” as He did “heaven.”  Every couple of months I get an e-mail from someone who informs me that “Jesus spoke twice as much about hell as He did heaven.”  Oh really? And why do they say such a thing?  Because they heard someone else say it and it sounded pleasing to them so they repeated it, and now it has been repeated so many tens of thousands of times around the world that it is virtually Christian dogma.

Jesus spoke of heaven over 120 times. Now then, how often did Jesus speak of hell or hell fire, or more specifically “people in hell?”  Would you think 240 times?  Maybe 150 times?  A hundred times?  Ten times?  One time? Never once?  Let us count the times—you just might be a little shocked.

Yep! I compiled a paper quoting every verse where Jesus used the words "heaven" and "hell." Truth is (as we all probably know), it was the other way around: Jesus spoke about heaven WAAAAY more than He did about hell. The paper is posted in my Yahoo group, Modern-Day Bereans.

Sandy

I hear ya, Sandy.

How many things in this life do we hear of things that by the words of others are absolute truth, only to find out later, that they are BS.

Was not too many years ago, that if you said the world was not flat, they would of burned you at the stake, yet we know now that God has always said the world is not flat. 

Gods name and character is constantly falsely accused and slandered, and those who truly follow Him, have the same fate in this world.  The most astonishing thing about this, is that it builds character, and that character is being created in His image.  Praise God for true purpose and reason.

God bless,

Gary

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 08:40:04 AM »

Hello,

Zero.. Christ never uttered the word "Hell" once...Hell is a english word, and a very poor translation for the words "hades" or "Gehenna"...Neither of which are even in the same realm of theologians
definitions of this word "hell".

It is nothing more than mans blindness that conceived the definition of "hell" as being a place were men are tormented in fire for ever.

That being said,  Even in the Archaic language were hell is translated from Gehenna...Christ only spoke of man being "cast" into Gehenna twice.

Matthew 5:29-30 Are the exact same verse as Mark 9:43-45  And Matthew 10:28 and Luke 12:5
Are the same verse....Just because they were written by two authors, does not mean the parable was mentioned twice, only that the authors both heard and wrote about the same event.

Peace

Chris R

Chris,

That is so true, I am truly amazed at all the folks who spout the "Jesus spoke more about hell than He did about heaven" line. It sure brings the scripture "blind guides leading the blind" to life, doesn't it?

Joe

B18bhatch

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 08:57:23 AM »

I've a pastor on the radio Raul Reis use the word Hades as if the definition of the word hades was hell a place of fire and torment.

B18bhatch

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 11:17:09 AM »

Hello B18 and it is great to see you posting. Yes we have radio pastors here too and they have the HELL hardliners and then you have those who never say it because they do not want to offend anyone but yet believe in it. I am scratching my head. ???

Love to you my friend,

bobby

Same to you Bobby.

Be  Blessed,

Juan

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.