bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The generation before us  (Read 5690 times)

ned

The generation before us
« on: September 06, 2006, 12:21:57 AM »

I'm curious and wonder how the "elect" in the generations before us fellowshipped. 

Any thoughts?

ned

Re: The generation before us
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 11:02:51 PM »

Hi Bobby,
Are you referring to the generation of people who lived at the time of Jesus, or shortly thereafter?

What I'm curious about is here we are in 2006 and fellowshipping via the internet, what about those of the 1950's, the 1900's, the 1850's, the 1800's, etc.... when there was no internet, for example.

We know many are called but FEW are chosen.  Many of us here in this forum have no people in the flesh to fellowship with.

We are so fortunate to have the internet at our fingertips.

What if it was 1850.  How would we have found the FEW to fellowship with?  I know, God provides...I was wondering if anyone had read of anything regarding this.

Wierd inquiry, I know, but this is the "off-topic" category.   ;)

Thanks.
Marie

chuckusa

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:18:53 PM »

Marie,

I was wondering this myself, when I first came to the forum.

Being that I have been "alone" in my beliefs for many years, even though I did go to church for some of those years, I would assume that many before us went through the same thing. Perhaps for their entire lives. But I really believe that God opened a door for them, as he has with all of us.

I can't imagine what it was though... back when there were no phones, no radio, no television, no internet, etc... Even travel was difficult. I think he must have clustered them together more so than now. I guess as the world evolves, his methods change too.

Good question though, as I didn't think I would ever meet anyone who believes as I do, but I did...thank God.

Love,Chuck

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 11:27:31 PM »

Marie,

I think your question is very relevant, God will provide for our needs whether it be food, shelter, or fellowship with like minded believers, if it were not so He would not have given these admonitions;

Rom 15:5  Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

Phi 2:2  Fulfill ye my joy, that ye be likeminded,, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

1Co 1:9  God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

I believe He always has provided for us, in every generation, generously giving us the companionship (and all other things) we truly need. This time in history could very well be the preparation for the big harvest of the firstfruits, this technology being used for His plan and purpose.

Phi 1:5  For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;

1Jo 1:7  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Excellent food for thought and meditation,

Joe

ned

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »

Thank you for the responses.

Joe quoted:
This time in history could very well be the preparation for the big harvest of the firstfruits, this technology being used for His plan and purpose.

Interesting idea Joe. That is excellent food for thought.

I found on my bookshelf a book called:
"Truth as I see it" by W. F. Salter, written in 1959. Salter is from Haliburton, Ontario, Canada.
I've had this book in my possession for 20 years. I've read it before, but with blinded eyes. I don't even know where I got this book from.

If you've read my testimony, you know I've only been "enlightened" since Jan of this year.
Would you believe WF Salter has the exact same beliefs as Ray, and us?

I'm re-reading this book and am fascinated by the truth as he sees it. 

Love,
Marie

gmik

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:16:55 PM »

I'm curious and wonder how the "elect" in the generations before us fellowshipped. 

Any thoughts?

did they even know they were "the" generation - the chosen.  Is knowledge of certain scripture required to be in the elect of that generation.  Like, during the middle ages when bibles weren't readily available were their believers who God chose to be in the elect regardless of whether they could read or not??

I've heard some true christians in the catholic church back then would pencil phoney eyes on their eyelids so they wouldn't have to really "adore the host', they shut their eyes but from way up on the pulpit it looked like they were loooking.  Now, w/o knowing all that we know could they be in the chosen.  Did they have to literally "come out" from Babylon??

We 'came out' of Babylon with maybe a few snears and lost friendships.   They came out and they were killed or tortured.  Maybe God uses different measuringsticks during diff. ages??

I have wondered about the Internet drawing people in that normally wouldn't ever find out about this stuff. Are their chosen out there who don't know about any of this??  Gets me wondering.  Just cuz we believe this does that automatically qualify us as the chosen. Is it the one who has defeated his beast and lives totally 100% for Jesus and others who are only the chosen??

I have often wondered of all this and I cannot presume in any fashion that I am in the elect.
May be but how to really know??

Sorry, for rambling, first week of school and my eyes are crying out for sleep.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 10:38:04 PM »

Our Lord watches over and provides for His own, the chosen, His peculiar people throughout all the generations

Deu 7:6  For thou art a holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

Psa 33:12  Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

Mar 13:22  For false Christs and false prophets shall rise and shall show signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

Luk 18:7  And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?

Rom 8:33  Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

His Peace to you,

Joe

Chris R

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 10:33:19 AM »

Interesting thread,

Hope... Hope... what a interesting word... Rom 8:24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

Simply stated we havent a clue what is ahead of us, nor did those who came before us. but we share this great word...HOPE.

Rom 9:20  Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed [it], Why hast thou made me thus?

Peace

Chris R

ned

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 12:18:43 AM »

Hi Chris,

Past, present and future, we share the same hope.
Interesting however, it is because of God's grace are we given faith, which is the grounds for our hope.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2Th 3:2  And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.

Rom 12:3  For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

How blessed are we to receive this hope.
Before I was enlightened, my hope was that I would be able to save my loved ones, heck, I hoped I could even save the whole world!

Now I "anticipate with pleasure" (greek for hope) the future Jesus promises to ALL.

Love
Marie

Chris R

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 08:47:30 AM »

Hi Marie,

Couldnt agree more.....

Peace

Chris R
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.