bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Men of Old  (Read 5259 times)

hillsbororiver

Men of Old
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:21:04 PM »

Back in my "church days" admittedly not a very long time at all (2 years max) I was taught that the Old Testament spoke of physical Israel, most of the "religious" books I read once I left the church also said the OT related to the history and future of that nation state and of its people, the literal Jews. Since I have been studying the articles on Bible Truths and applying the principles to my own privare study the OT has opened up some completely new revelations and has become more relevant than I ever would have thought possible.

The old Prophets were speaking to every generation of believers while the shadow of physical Israel blinded the eyes of most "Christiandom" we can see that these Prophets were led by the Lord to especially speak to those who would live to see would see apostasy wax "worse and worse," even to the time of His return.

Here is what Peter says about these "old timers."

2Pe 1:19  We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until, the day dawn, and the day star arise

Pe 1:20  Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation.

2Pe 1:21  For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

This new (for me) light of the OT has me feeling like I found a treasure chest in my backyard.

His Wisdom and Peace to all of you,

Joe

Kat

Re: Men of Old
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:26:14 AM »

Hi Joe,

I know what you are saying.
I spent 15 years in a church, WWCG, that taught mainly from the OT.
I went throught a lot of indept studies while there.
It was not a waste of time, as I thought after I left.
This background in the OT has helped me a great deal in understanding the NT,
and when I go back now, to read in the OT, it has a whole new meaning.
When I was studying before, it was to understand the physical,
now I study for spiritual understanding.

1Co 10:11  Now these things happened unto them by way of example;
and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.

1Co 2:13  Which things we also speak, not in words taught in human wisdom,
but in Words taught of the Holy Spirit, comparing spiritual things with spiritual things.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

YellowStone

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »

Wow Joe, you are in fine form :)

Pe 1:20 
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation.

I think this verse of Peter's should be written on every Church door. :)

While attending bible study years ago, I was told that it is perfectly ok to shop around for the church that teaches what "you" want to hear.

Kat, these too are also wonderful:

1Co 10:11 
Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.

1Co 2:13 
Which things we also speak, not in words taught in human wisdom,but in Words taught of the Holy Spirit, comparing spiritual things with spiritual things.

The truth that I have learned in the last year or so is just like the buried treasure that Joe mentioned. :)

God is truly wonderful; his words warm hearts and calm souls.

Thanks,

Darren

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 11:31:46 PM »

Great input Kat, thanks for the kind words Darren,

I must admit I have felt "on fire" since the Conference weekend, it was such an incredibly uplifting spiritual connection between the brethren.

His Peace and Wisdom to bothe of you,

Joe

orion77

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 01:46:38 AM »

Good thread, Joe!

It's always good to find buried treasure.  When we think of treasure hunting, those participating diligently seek until they find what they are looking for.  This is what God has put into our hearts, and that desire to know, through much diligence, brings rewards from God.

Those 'men of old' have given us not only an example, but when our eyes have been opened, we see ourselves in their lives.  But now, we have the guidance of Christ, the law being fullfilled, no longer under law, but grace.

Obedience is acknowledging Christs mission, moving from the old to the new.  No longer an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth, but to forgive ones enemies.  It is a whole new paradigm, unheard of before Christ. 

Still, so many are stuck in the Law.  That being stuck under the Law of Moses, do injustice and lawlessness against Christ, because they do not follow Christ.

Enough of my rambling, lol.

God bless,

Gary

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 03:15:54 PM »

So true Gary,

These treasures have been showing themselves and opening up rapidly, showing me how clouded my eyes were for so long. It is only in retrospect that I can see I was partially blinded by the old church doctrine of the Father speaking to the literal Jew in the OT and Christ speaking to the spiritual Jew in the NT. Now I see our Lord speaking to us directly through both witnesses. How Christ truly is the Word.

Zec 8:9  Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Let your hands be strong, ye that hear in these days these words by the mouth of the prophets, which were in the day that the foundation of the house of the LORD of hosts was laid, that the temple might be built.

Act 13:40  Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets;

Act 15:15  And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

Act 24:14  But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

His Peace and Wisdom to all of you,

Joe

dogcombat

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »

Joe,

I've been thinking more and more about your most recent threads on this Discussion Page, and I've been led to believe that you've gone from knowledge of God's word, to understanding  God's word. 

This is the difference between Milk and Meat of the word, with knowledge representing Milk(knowing what the translation says) and understanding representing Meat (revelation of the hidden truths by Holy Spirit).  I too am just beginning to understand what you've been posting lately, as I study so infrequently.  Does anyone else see the milk/meat knowledge/understanding coming into play?

Ches

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 11:17:25 AM »

Thank you Chet,

There is no doubt the Lord has opened my eyes a little more and has expanded my understanding of some things that were not clear even a few weeks ago, this journey He has us on is an incredible one, it is totally different than I would have thought it to be. I still have a hard time imagining He would call someone like me for anything.

The changes in my life have truly been a miracle, where I used to look outward for physical signs in the world to confirm prophecy and by extension His existence and Hand in our lives I now look inward and see the prophecies being fulfilled within, it is both exilerating and humbling at the same time.

His Peace and Wisdom to you Brother,

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.