bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aionion  (Read 4245 times)

bobf

Aionion
« on: September 10, 2006, 07:22:18 PM »

I was studying the greek word aionion and the corresponding hebrew word owlam  this morning and I bumped into an interesting scripture.

Isaiah 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; 3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified. 5 And they shall build the old (owlam; aionion lxx) wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.

So the LORD and will rebuild and restore the "old" (wait a minute! that's owlam and in the lxx its aionion) waste places.  So God will restore the ETERNAL (supposedly) destructions of His judgment!  Yes, indeed Jesus came to save that which WAS destroyed.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 07:25:32 PM by bobf »

hillsbororiver

Re: Aionion
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 09:12:56 PM »

Beautiful stuff Bobf,

First we have the curse;

Lev 26:31  And I will make your cities waste, and bring your sanctuaries unto desolation, and I will not smell the savor of your sweet odors.

Isa 24:1  Behold, the LORD maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof.

Then the promise;

Amo 9:14  And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens and eat the fruit of them.

Isa 58:12  And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

Our God is is an awesome God, He is of hope and restitution,

Joe

bobf

Re: Aionion
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:36:13 PM »

Awesome Joe!

I looked up the Isaiah 58:12 verse you posted. It also uses the phrase "owlam waste places" in hebrew and "aionion waste places" in the lxx.

Here's some more along the same theme - of course we could do this all day because its all over the scriptures!

Jeremiah 31:28  And it shall come to pass, that like as I have watched over them, to pluck up, and to break down, and to throw down, and to destroy, and to afflict; so will I watch over them, to build, and to plant, saith the LORD.

And may all-time favorite

Isaiah 54:4 Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more. 5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. 6 For the LORD hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God. 7 For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee. 8  In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer.

God bless Joe,
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.