bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Immortality  (Read 4834 times)

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Immortality
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:40:39 AM »

Yesterday I was reading e-mails to Ray, and in one of his responses he wrote that Christ is "immortal never to die again. (Rev. 1:18)". I am wondering why Ray used this verse (" living am I for the eons of the eons ") as a reference for Christ's immortality, since he writes quite a lot about how "eons" does not mean "forever". Could not a detractor take Rev. 20:10 ("And they shall be tormented day and night for the eons of the eons.") and say that they are being tormented, never to be relieved again? Aren't there other verses which tell of Christ's immortality?

Bill

Re: Immortality
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:53:33 AM »

Yesterday I was reading e-mails to Ray, and in one of his responses he wrote that Christ is "immortal never to die again. (Rev. 1:18)". I am wondering why Ray used this verse (" living am I for the eons of the eons ") as a reference for Christ's immortality, since he writes quite a lot about how "eons" does not mean "forever". Could not a detractor take Rev. 20:10 ("And they shall be tormented day and night for the eons of the eons.") and say that they are being tormented, never to be relieved again? Aren't there other verses which tell of Christ's immortality?

hi extol,

It is nice to have you here.

Yes this verse mentions ages of the ages, but there is an and there as well.

Revelation 1:18 (King James Version)
 18I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

And yes there are other verses which tell of Christ's immortality.

Bill

Andy_MI

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:22:26 AM »

Hi Extol,

Here's another scripture which speaks of Christ having immortality:

1Ti 6:13 I charge thee, before God, who engendereth life in all things, and Christ Jesus, who, before Pontius Pilate, witnessed the noble confession,
1Ti 6:14 That thou keep the commandment without spot, free from reproach, until the forthshining of our Lord Jesus Christ—
1Ti 6:15 Which, in its own fit times, the happy and only Potentate will shew—the King of them that reign, and Lord of them that wield lordship,
1Ti 6:16 Who alone hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable,—Whom no man hath seen—nor can see: unto whom, be honour and might age-abiding. Amen.

Peace,

Andy

Kat

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 12:33:10 PM »

Hi Extol,

I took this out of Ray's paper on Is "Everlastiing" Scriptural ?

http://bible-truths.com/aeonion.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: This again is nonsense, Walter. The Scriptural fact that God is an "aionios [eonian] God" in no way suggests that God lives only for the period covered by the word "aionios." That is unjustifiable speculation based on false deductions from a false premise. This reasoning is so silly that it hardly deserves comment.

In Gen. 24:3 we read that God is the "God of the earth." Now the earth is visible; is God therefore visible? No. The earth is physical; is God therefore physical? No. The earth will pass away (Matt. 24:35); does this mean that God too will "pass away," since He is the "God" of this "visible, material, passing away" earth? NO. Pretty silly huh?

Comment: The concept of "eternity" is foreign to the Holy Scriptures. There is virtually nothing that is outside of the time periods known as aions. There are just a couple of hints regarding life beyond the ages of time. Luke speaks of things pertaining to the Kingdom, not coming to an end. And Paul tells us that in resurrection we will have "incorruption" and "immortality" signifying "deathlessness," but neither word has to do with time itself. Paul also speaks of a time in which God will be "ALL in all." That is the extent to which the Scriptures even hint of eternity or anything beyond the ages of time.

Therefore the Greek word "aionios" must mean eternal or everlasting.

Comment: Nonsense, it means eonians—pertaining to the oncoming AGES. Our glorious reign with Christ on the earth over the nations is for the AGES, not for eternity. The reign of Christ COMES TO AND END, just as aionios comes to an end (I Cor 15:25-26).

Comment: Defining "aionios" as "agelasting" is not correct. The adjective "aionios" does not mean "age lasting," thereby erroneously suggesting that such verses if translated "eonian God" would be in fact saying that God Himself will only last or live FOR ONE AGE. That is nonsense, that is not honest scholarship. Aionios means to "belong TO the ages," NOT, "agelasting" or "during an age." Aionios can be used in reference to multiple ages, as we will conclusively prove.

Comment: This again is nonsense, Walter. The Scriptural fact that God is an "aionios [eonian] God" in no way suggests that God lives only for the period covered by the word "aionios." That is unjustifiable speculation based on false deductions from a false premise. This reasoning is so silly that it hardly deserves comment.

In Gen. 24:3 we read that God is the "God of the earth." Now the earth is visible; is God therefore visible? No. The earth is physical; is God therefore physical? No. The earth will pass away (Matt. 24:35); does this mean that God too will "pass away," since He is the "God" of this "visible, material, passing away" earth? NO. Pretty silly huh?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps you.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.