bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Love your enemies  (Read 11943 times)

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Love your enemies
« on: September 14, 2006, 01:39:59 PM »

Do we love Satan also? There are many verses about the devil and his evils, and how we must resist them (Eph. 4:27, 6:11; 1 Tim. 3:7, James 4:7, 1 Pet.5:8, etc.). But of course it is the command of the Saviour to love one's enemies (Matt. 5:44). It is not uncommon to hear churchgoers say things like "I hate Satan", "To hell with the devil", and excitedly talk about how he will "get his" when he is thrown into the Lake of Fire forever, etc. In addition to being Scripturally inaccurate, is it wrong to utter such statements, since we are supposed to love our enemies?

Bill

Re: Love your enemies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 02:11:01 PM »

Do we love Satan also? There are many verses about the devil and his evils, and how we must resist them (Eph. 4:27, 6:11; 1 Tim. 3:7, James 4:7, 1 Pet.5:8, etc.). But of course it is the command of the Saviour to love one's enemies (Matt. 5:44). It is not uncommon to hear churchgoers say things like "I hate Satan", "To hell with the devil", and excitedly talk about how he will "get his" when he is thrown into the Lake of Fire forever, etc. In addition to being Scripturally inaccurate, is it wrong to utter such statements, since we are supposed to love our enemies?

I may be way off base here but I think we can Love satan for who is to become.  But hate for what he does.  Like hate the sin but love the sinner.

Satan is doing exactly as God has planned him to do.

Bill

TRUTHSEEKER

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 05:35:06 PM »

Hey Everyone,

In regards to loving our enemies, I believe when Jesus gave us this command we are to keep in mind he was referring to people and not Satan.  Jesus said "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; (Matt 5:44). Also, "But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil (Lk 6:35). In light of the scripture I've noted Jesus has to be referring to people because how else will God try us and proves us in learning how to love if our love is not tested to see if it genuine or not.  We always have to deal with people like them or not.  Work with people like them or not.  Associate with people like them or not. The greatest test of our love is to love other who lack in love.  Why? So we can be like our heavenly Father.  I think that is the point Jesus was making when he said love your enemies.  Love people which can be the hardest thing to do especially when they say all manner of evil against you falsely.  Jesus never showed Satan love.  If anything he cast out Satan at every opportunity.  (Mark 16:9 and 17, Luke 11:14,18,and 19)  How can we love a creature whom our own Lord cast out at every opportunity? Love people...not Satan.   

snorky

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 07:00:29 PM »

Loving and forgiving enemies is part of our walk in Christ, so yes, we must love and forgive them, for they are part of God's Plan. I'm not sure the opportunity will ever arise when we are to love Satan. Right now we need to concentrate on loving and forgiving our human enemies, walking the walk.  ;)--snorky

Bill

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:35:44 PM »

I'm not sure the opportunity will ever arise when we are to love Satan.

Christ will put all his enemies under his feet. (1 Corinthians 15:25) 

Bill

zvezda

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:49:16 AM »

Let's say we should love Satan, then what should we do in order to show our love to Satan?
i know what to do to show our love to God, that is, obey God's commands,  love your neighbor.
But what about Satan? How will you show your love to Satan? Obey Satan's commands, hate your neighbor?
We definitely can't treat Satan as a human being who's lost and help him go back to God.
I guess that's something you need to ponder about  ;)

Kat

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 12:00:56 PM »

I agree with what mongoose says.

Satan was created by God.

Isa 45:7  I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

Nowhere in Scripture does God say He hates Satan,
He is here to do the work God created Him for.

1Co 15:28  But when everything has been put under him, then the Son himself will also become subject to the one who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

So in the end everything, including Satan, will be subject to Christ.
Then God will be all in all.  Everything will be at one with the Father.

Zec 3:2  And the LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, O Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is not this a brand plucked from the fire?"

Christ rebuked Satan, so for now we should rebuke him,
not hate him, for doing what God made him to do.

The time will come when Satan too will be purged in the lake of fire,
just like all of God's creatures.

Rev 20:10  and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night--to the ages of the ages.

So we have to keep things in prospective,
right now in God's plan Satan is the adversary, we must rebuke him.
But he will at some point be brought, to be at one with God.

That's my opinion.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Laren

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 12:50:18 PM »

Colossians 1:16-20

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

bobby

reconcile is an interesting word.  Defined as

1) to reconcile completely

2) to reconcile back again

3) bring back a former state of harmony

I personally don't see how satan will be reconciled, brought back to what former state of harmony??

Satan's food is flesh.  No more flesh, no more food, no more food, starvation, and death????
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 01:03:57 PM by Laren »

Kat

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 02:48:13 PM »

Hi Laren,

Satan is to be, (1) to reconcile complete ), this would be the right definition.
He will not be brought back, but purged and cleansed.
This as an e-mail to Ray about, Satan saved?'
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Brother Ray,

I read one of your email response dealing with God's supremacy.On this mail you stated that God created satan, uses satan, and that Satan too, will be saved after he has done all his dirty work. God will make him repent. Is there any Scriptural basis for this view?

I must confess that I find most of your articles very interesting and your teaching thought provoking.

Thank you so much for your effort in pumping out the truth.

God bless.

Remi
London. UK

Dear Remi:
First we must understand that Satan and his ministers reside in the heavens (Eph. 12:11, "the devil....against spiritual wickedness in high [Gk; epouranios--'celestials/heaven'] and the earth (Rev. 12:9 is not a one time occurance).

[1] "That in the dispensation of the fulnesss of times he might gather together in one ALL in the Christ, both that in the heavens and that in the earth"  (Eph. 1:10, Concordant Literal New Testament).

[2] "For by Him were ALL things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible [Satan and demons] whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers [including 'principalities and powers' of Eph. 6:12] : all things were created by Him, and for Him...And, having made peace through the blood of the His cross, by Him to RECONCILE ALL unto Himself; by Him, I say whethe4r they be those in earth or those in heaven" (Col. 1:16 & 20).

[3] "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in HEAVEN, and those in EARTH, and those UNDER THE EARTH.  And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ IS LORD [I Cor. 12:3b], to the glory of God the Father" (Col. 2:9-11).

[4]  "...Behold the Lamb of God, which takes away the SIN OF THE WORLD" (John 1:29b).

[5] "For He [Jesus] must reign till He has put ALL ENEMIES [Satan is an enemy [Matt. 13:39] under His feet...that God may be ALL in All [that includes ALL God's creatures]" (I Cor. 15:25 & 28).

Etc., etc., etc.

God be with you,
Ray

Hope this helps.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Laren

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 03:14:34 PM »

Hi Laren,

Satan is to be, (1) to reconcile complete ), this would be the right definition.
He will not be brought back, but purged and cleansed.
This as an e-mail to Ray about, Satan saved?'

Hope this helps.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

I hate it when a word is defined by the same word: ie:  reconcile: to reconcile complete????

just food for thot.

here is dictionary definiton

rec·on·cile    (rkn-sl) KEY 

VERB:
rec·on·ciled , rec·on·cil·ing , rec·on·ciles
VERB:
tr.

To reestablish a close relationship between.
To settle or resolve.
To bring (oneself) to accept: He finally reconciled himself to the change in management.
To make compatible or consistent: reconcile my way of thinking with yours. See Synonyms at adapt.
VERB:
intr.

To reestablish a close relationship, as in marriage: The estranged couple reconciled after a year.
To become compatible or consistent: The figures would not reconcile.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 03:17:49 PM by Laren »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »

Hello Laren,

I know what you mean about using the same word to define itself, I used the Merriam-Webster  Dictionary and Thesaurus to check the definitions and synonyms to "reconcile," here is what I found;

Main Entry: rec·on·cile
Pronunciation: 're-k&n-"sI(-&)l
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -ciled; -cil·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French or Latin; Anglo-French reconciler, from Latin reconciliare, from re- + conciliare to conciliate transitive verb
1 a : to restore to friendship or harmony <reconciled the factions> b : SETTLE, RESOLVE <reconcile differences>
2 : to make consistent or congruous <reconcile an ideal with reality>
3 : to cause to submit to or accept something unpleasant <was reconciled to hardship>
4 a : to check (a financial account) against another for accuracy b : to account for
intransitive verb : to become reconciled

Entry Word: reconcile
Text: to bring to a state free of conflicts, inconsistencies, or differences <historians have never been able to reconcile the two eyewitness accounts of the battle> -- see HARMONIZE 2

Entry Word: harmonize
Text: 1 to form a pleasing relationship <the color of the walls harmonized nicely with the blue tones in the carpet>
Synonyms agree, blend, conform, coordinate
Related Words balance, correlate, correspond, dovetail, match; meet, parallel; bond, coalesce, cohere, conjoin, fuse, merge, square, tally
Near Antonyms contradict, contrast, counter, differ, diverge, jar; cancel (out), counteract, negate, offset
Antonyms clash, collide, conflict
2 to bring to a state free of conflicts, inconsistencies, or differences <an attempt to harmonize the New Testament version of events with the accounts of the ancient Romans>
Synonyms accommodate, conciliate, conform, coordinate, key, reconcile
Related Words adapt, attune, tune; blend, combine, connect, correlate, dovetail, fit, fuse, integrate, join, match, merge, orchestrate, pair, square, suit, synchronize, synthesize, unify, unite; align, arrange, array, balance, equalize, even, order, proportion, regularize, standardize
Near Antonyms confuse, disarray, disorder, disorganize, disrupt, disturb, skew, upset
Antonyms alienate, disjoin
3 to be in agreement on every point <interrogated in separate rooms, the two burglary suspects gave stories that didn't harmonize at all> -- see CHECK 1

Kind of "fleshes out" that "bare bones" definition doesn't it?

To bring all His creation (satan included) to a point "free of conflicts"  and to "form a pleasing relationship" with Him.

Hope this helps,

Joe
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 04:37:35 PM by hillsbororiver »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 04:28:53 PM »

I am totally unqualified to answer these questions, I am still working on (more like struggling with) loving my neighbors.  ;)

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 04:46:42 PM by hillsbororiver »

Laren

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 05:38:11 PM »

I find this an interesting study, i don't have all my thots formalized, but there is something in this

Joh 5:45  Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.

Satan is the accuser of the bretheren

Rev 12:9  And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him

Rev 12:10  And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

1Co 15:56  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

1Co 15:57  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rom 7:1  Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

Rom 7:4  Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Rom 7:5  For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Rom 7:6  But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Rom 7:8  But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

Rom 7:9  For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Rom 7:11  For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

Rom 7:24  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Rom 7:25  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Rom 8:1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Rom 8:2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

for me, satan has power through the law to accuse.  We who are in Christ are dead to the law, and alive to grace.  satan is done, defeated, has no power.  Grace outdoes sin always, and the power of sin is the law.  No law, no sin, no satan.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 08:26:56 PM »

Hello Laren,

While I can agree that the elect will be freed (some have already) from the power of satan I do not see the devil as being insignificant or impotent in the world quite yet. In fact he will even have power restored to him in the coming age(s).

Rev 20:2  And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,(is he presently bound, or been bound and loosened and the 2nd resurrection and redemption of all been accomplished?)

Rev 20:3  And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Rev 20:4  And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years (Are you saying all the elect have already been redeemed and are presently judging the world, or have already?).

Rev 20:5  But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Rev 20:6  Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Rev 20:7  And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

Rev 20:8  And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth,

Laren, are you saying all these things have come to pass?

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the point you are trying to make, I just don't see everything being completed yet, if indeed that is what you are saying.

His Peace to you and yours,

Joe

Laren

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 08:47:49 PM »

Hello Laren,

While I can agree that the elect will be freed (some have already) from the power of satan I do not see the devil as being insignificant or impotent in the world quite yet. In fact he will even have power restored to him in the coming age(s).

Rev 20:2  And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,(is he presently bound, or been bound and loosened and the 2nd resurrection and redemption of all been accomplished?)

Rev 20:3  And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Rev 20:4  And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years (Are you saying all the elect have already been redeemed and are presently judging the world, or have already?).

Rev 20:5  But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Rev 20:6  Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Rev 20:7  And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

Rev 20:8  And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth,

Laren, are you saying all these things have come to pass?

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the point you are trying to make, I just don't see everything being completed yet, if indeed that is what you are saying.

His Peace to you and yours,

Joe

Not making any point Joe, just seeing an interesting relationship between satan, law, flesh versus grace and the resurrected Christ.  Can't serve two masters, mixin law and grace.   

I also think that this is tied into these verses

1Jo 3:4  Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

1Jo 3:5  And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

1Jo 3:6  Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 08:51:27 PM by Laren »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 08:53:47 PM »

Ok,

Don't see anything but confusion but if anyone can clue me in it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Joe

Laren

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 09:42:08 PM »

sorry Joe for my inability to tie this in very well.  When we go back to the orgininal post of "will satan be reconciled"; for me it's seems he won't as the law is destroyed through Christ, and I see a relationship between law and the power of satan.  Law destroyed, satan destroyed/powerless.  Interesting to me that satan never showed up in the garden until after the command of don't eat was given.  He feeds on the carnal mind. 

In Christ, our carnal mind is destroyed so we may receive the mind of Christ.  To me our carnal mind is not reconciled but destroyed.

I see the same with satan, destroyed but not reconciled. 

Again, sorry for the confusion; i probably shouldn't post if i can't express well what i'm trying to say. 

YellowStone

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 10:03:41 PM »

Lauren, are you saying that your carnal mind is /as been destroyed?

If this is so, then are you free of sin?  If the answer is no, as it must be, then how then can Satan and your carnal mind be destroyed?

Did not Christ come to fullfill the law, not to destroy it. Are the Ten Commandments irrelevant? Of course not, but more is required than the "then" law.

I just want to make a comment on your inclusion of 1Jo 3:6.

1Jo 3:6 
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Please follow me through the following words of Paul.

Act 13:9-10
Then Saul, (who also [is called] Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him, And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, [thou] child of the devil, [thou] enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord? And now, behold, the hand of the Lord [is] upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season.

Act 19:6 
And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Here we are told that Paul was filled with the Holy Spirit (Ghost) and that the hand of the Lord fell upon him. Would anyone say that the words of Paul were not inspired, would anyone then say that Paul did not KNOW Christ. I certainly would not. But was Paul free of sin? Not according to the next passage of Scripture.

Rom 7:19
For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do

"The evil which I would not, that I do"  would this mean that Paul sinned even though he knew Christ. Of course it does not state that Paul sinned, but can you name an evil action that was not a sin?

Lauren, Jesus died for our sins, so that we need not. That does not mean that he destroyed sin, for unfortunately we are still inperfect humans, some with more carnal minds than others, but each according to God's will.

So then:

1Jo 3:6 
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Can only mean "known" Christ in the perfect spiritual sense, something no one on Earth today is capable of.

Just my two cents worth,

Much love to you,

Darren
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:15:58 PM by YellowStone »

Laren

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 11:03:40 PM »

Thanks Daren for the reply, I'll make this my last post re: this topic, as it is easy for me to fall into the mode of trying to prove a point rather than to keep studying, praying and trusting the Holy Spirit to open my eyes further.  If what I've posted is way off base, ignore it.   

Last verse for me re: this topic inr regards to I John 3 verse:

Rom 7:17  Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 11:04:21 AM »

sorry Joe for my inability to tie this in very well.  When we go back to the orgininal post of "will satan be reconciled"; for me it's seems he won't as the law is destroyed through Christ, and I see a relationship between law and the power of satan.  Law destroyed, satan destroyed/powerless.  Interesting to me that satan never showed up in the garden until after the command of don't eat was given.  He feeds on the carnal mind. 

In Christ, our carnal mind is destroyed so we may receive the mind of Christ.  To me our carnal mind is not reconciled but destroyed.

I see the same with satan, destroyed but not reconciled. 

Again, sorry for the confusion; i probably shouldn't post if i can't express well what i'm trying to say. 

No problem Laren, I only wanted to understand the point being made.

Thank you,

Joe
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.