bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contridictions  (Read 5300 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Contridictions
« on: September 19, 2006, 01:45:11 PM »

Dear Ray,

Hello, I came across this book called "Misquoting Jesus" a few months back and found it to be most intriguing. I never knew the road to canonizing our bible was so long and widespread. Ive read in this book that there are more variations in the manuscripts of the Bible than there are words! Though I suspect that well more than half are due to minor word arrangements, this still allows one to discredit the validity of the Bible. Ive read much of your material and understand that God's word must be infallible in order for you to expose those who contradict.

If we no longer possess the autographs, how can we really be sure that the words we read in the bible (not even the translation but the manuscripts itself) be the words that God intends for us to read and understand. Also, I would like to see how you deal with some of the following seemingly contradictory passages of the gospels.

Who approached Jesus?  (Matthew 8:5-7)  The Centurion approached Jesus, beseeching help for a sick servant.  (Luke 7:3 & 7:6-7)  The Centurion did not approach Jesus.  He sent friends and elders of the Jews.

Was she dead or just dying?  (Matthew 9:18)  He asked for help, saying his daughter was already dead.  (Luke 8:41-42)  Jairus approached Jesus for help, because his daughter was dying.

(Luke 7:18-22)  While imprisoned.  John the Baptist sent followers to Jesus to inquire if Jesus was the Messiah. (John 1 :29-34,36)  John already knew Jesus was the Messiah.

Is scripture inspired by God?  "all scripture is given by inspiration of God."  2 Timothy 3:16 compared to: "But I speak this by permission and not by commandment."  1 Corinthians 7:6 "But to the rest speak I, not the Lord."  1 Corinthians 7:12 "That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord"  2 Corinthians.

There was a day where I was afraid to entertain thoughts of contradiction in the Bible. Then one day, while looking for the differences of the OT and NT, I came across your website and was not afraid to probe deeper. I believe the God of the Bible, however, if Jesus is Truth, then I should not be afraid of asking questions since no matter what, Jesus is what I'm always going to find (And I love Jesus and the fact that He is the WORD!) I know faith is necessary to believe the scriptures, and that faith only comes as a gift from God, but if there indeed is an contradiction in His word, then faith becomes nothing but a blind assumption. Ive read in your "Secret Rapture Theory" that you dealt with passages like these in a paper you misplaced. I'm sure that paper dealt with issues like these. I would really appreciate it if you would enlighten me on this matter. Well, I know if I go too long the chances of my email being answered decrease so I'll end it here. I eagerly await y our reply.

In Him,

Joed

Dear Joed:
We obviously do not have one single copy of the Old and New Testaments that are flawlessly copied.  When we compare a number of ancient manuscripts, we can come to a good understand of all the Scriptures. There is no giant subject that cannot be understood because we just don'e have an accurate enough manuscript to understand it.  The Greek is the best we have of the New Testament. Were there copies in Hebrew, Aramaci, Syriac, etc that were complete and more accurate than the Greek manuscripts we have?  I don't know, maybe. But even if God should allow us to find such scrolls, I don't believe it will change a single doctrine of any consequence.  This teaching of the Baptists that the King James is absolutely and totally inerrant, or we don't have the word of God is nonsense and superstition.

I'm sorry, but I am hopelessly behing in answering emails, and can't take the time to go through all of the verses you present above. Most of your questions are already answer on our site if you will just read it all.
God be with you,
Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.