bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abe Lincoln believed in UR  (Read 4070 times)

hillsbororiver

Abe Lincoln believed in UR
« on: September 20, 2006, 06:49:49 PM »

I found this to be very interesting, not exactly something you might find in your old history books, especially if you attended parochial school;

Abraham Lincoln

Excerpts taken from “The Almost Chosen People” by William J. Wolf (Doubleday & Company Inc, 1959).

"One of Lincoln’s associates, Mentor Graham, tells of Lincoln: 'He took the passage, ‘As in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive,’ and followed up with the proposition that whatever the breach or injury of Adam’s transgressions to the human race was, which no doubt was very great, was made just and right by the atonement of Christ.'" (page 47)

"...Lincoln wrote an essay about 1833 on predestinated universal salvation in criticism of the orthodox doctrine of endless punishment. It is also consistent with the evidence that in 1850, Lincoln, through the reading of his pastor's The Christian's Defense and his own wrestling with the problem, became convinced intellectually of the validity of the biblical revelation. Lincoln's conviction that God would restore the whole of creation as the outcome of Christ's atonement would have been in itself a bar to membership in the Springfield church he attended." (pages 103-104)

"Another associate, Isaac Cogdal, tells of a discussion on religion in Lincoln’s office in 1859: 'Lincoln expressed himself in about these words: He did not nor could not believe in the endless punishment of any one of the human race. He understood punishment for sin to be a Bible doctrine; that the punishment was parental in its object, aim, and design, and intended for the good of the offender; hence it must cease when justice is satisfied. He added that all that was lost by the transgression of Adam was made good by the atonement: all that was lost by the fall was made good by the sacrifice.'" (page 104)

"The second statement was one dictated by Jonathan Harnett of Pleasant Plains, describing a theological discussion in 1858 in Lincoln's office. 'Lincoln covered more ground in a few words than he could in a week, and closed with the restitution of all things to God, as the doctrine taught in the scriptures, and if anyone was left in doubt in regard to his belief in the atonement of Christ and the final salvation of all men, he removed those doubts in a few questions he answered and propounded to others. After expressing himself, some one or two took exceptions to his position, and he asked a few questions that cornered his interrogators and left no room to doubt or question his soundness on the atonement of Christ, and salvation finally of all men. He did not pretend to know just when that event would be consummated, but that it would be the ultimate result, that Christ must reign supreme, high over all. The Saviour of all; and the supreme Ruler, he could not be with one out of the fold; all must come in, with his understanding of the doctrine taught in the scriptures.'" (pages 105-106)

Thought I would share this with those of you who were not aware of this (like me until recently).

His Peace to you,

Joe

chuckusa

Re: Abe Lincoln believed in UR
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:29:51 PM »

Hi Joe,

That is very interesting. Abe is, and always has been my favorite figure from American history. Thanks for that info., it adds another dimension to his life. The fact he admitted it is amazing, considering the circumstances he was in at the time. He is one of the people from the past that I'd love to spend a day with...maybe out fishing, and just talking.

Chuck

buddyjc

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 12:16:55 PM »

Hi Bobby,

Tentmaker has a list of well known people who believe in UR.

Brian

chuckusa

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 12:31:27 PM »

Hey Bobby,

Well, I guess we WILL see him soon enough...is it wrong to say I hope that fishing exists in the next life... :)

Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.