bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new words and all  (Read 3888 times)

jennie

new words and all
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:40:14 PM »

Happy Anniversary Bobby!!!
 I don't know where I read on the forum about words and their meanings and how in different parts of the country they mean different things. Ya'll all know I am an old southern girl so here is something to laugh about!
Hoecake-now ya'll keep in mind I am not ancient just yet. I am one of those 1960's babies and we've eaten hoe-cake all our lives. If you are working in the field you can cook a little hoecake over a fire on your hoe! If you eat it for a meal it is cooked inside usually when the flour is running out because hoecake can be real runny and doesn't use up as much flour.
We have "long sweetnin' and light sweetnin". Soggum , most folks not from here call it sorghum. You can make whiskey from it too.  We "sop up" our plates, tend the little 'uns, take a little stitch, save the best for "compny" coming.We still almost all of us in my kin have a washboard so we will "washboard "red clay out of clothes. We "scratch up a spot" for our little kitchen gardens. We "carry" people if they need a ride, we wash the floors at least once a week. If you ever get curious... watch those blue collar fellows. We have "floahs, doahs and go on up" to wherever we need to. We "put up" jellies and all vegetables so we will be ready for the "cold time of year". I could go on and on! After reading all that ya'll might just decide you don't want such a country person to be able to write on this forum! Well, sometimes laughing is good for you! love, "OLD SOUTHERN" Jennie

Kat

Re: new words and all
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:45:09 AM »

Hi Jenny,

I'm a southern girl too  :)

You know Jesus even used southern lingo,
He used the southern term yonder, as I do  ;)

Mat 26:36  Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto his disciples, Sit ye here, while I go yonder and pray.

Mat 17:20  And he saith unto them, Because of your little faith: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

jennie

Re: new words and all
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 01:09:33 PM »

My goodness, I forgot a poke and the word yonder! Do ya'll know about "Granny beads" and "yuns"? My Granny's used to look up at the night sky and "draw out" a picture to put on a quilt top. They were some of the prettiest things you ever did see! Those pretty flour sacks turned into dresses and skirts.  Some of our best family times were on "meat day". This may offend animal lovers and I am sorry if it does, this was just a part of our lives. Meat day was when all the kin went to my Granny and Papa's. We would fix meat for all the family. The men and boys slaughtered and in the case of hogs, dipped them into the yard kettle to get the bristles off the hide. The women and girls worked from before dawn to after dark grinding, cutting and packaging the meat. We hand ground the meat with a grindrer that screwed onto the edge of the table. That was a muscle builder! After all the work was done we got to eat cracklin' bread for supper. That was a treat! Us kids would get to take the pig's tail, put it on a stick and fry it over the hot coals under the kettle and then eat off the crispy bits.We also got to blow up the bladder like a ball and play with it! WE rendered our own lard and always had a yard kettle to wash in or what have you. so many memories, .. makes them seem like just yesterday. Oh well, thanks again ya'll for listening and making me smile! Much love, Jennie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.