bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speak; for thy servant heareth  (Read 4872 times)

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Speak; for thy servant heareth
« on: July 01, 2007, 07:49:28 AM »

Last night I was reading 1 Samuel, and something struck me:

That the LORD called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.
And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down.

And the LORD called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again.

Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him.

And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the LORD had called the child.

Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth. (1Sa 3:4-10 KJV)

In my Norwegian translation verse 7 reads: Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, BECAUSE the word of the Lord was not yet revealed unto him.

This got me thinking about:

And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another. (1Co 4:6 KJV)

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. (Joh 17:3 KJV)

Samuel couldn't know the Father, because He hadn't been revealed yet. And he did not know the Lord, for the word of the Lord was not yet revealed unto him. But Samuel learned something important from Eli, he learned how to ANSWER to that voice which he heard. He learned to answer: Speak; for thy servant heareth.

And so we must NOT think above that which is written, because we hear the voice of the Lord in His Word! The voice of the Lord IS His Word! We must strive to LISTEN (read) and humbly say Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.

And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. (Luk 10:38-42 KJV)

One thing is needful - to LISTEN.

Any other views on this?

God bless you all,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

Deborah-Leigh

Re: Speak; for thy servant heareth
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 08:27:21 AM »

Hello Eirik

Good to see you posting!

I have seen some falsely accuse God for NOT speaking when all the while they are deaf and not knowing it! :D

In your example you note that Samuel heard but had not yet been shown the revelation of what he heard. He was taught in the way to respond. This was perhaps the forrunner to revelation through obedience and submission to the council and direction of Eli.

Like here in BT if we accept and receive and integrate the truths and wisdom, knowledge and understanding that pour out of the teachings then the consequence can also be that we too may receive comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God.

We know that not all who listen - hear. Not all who see - discern.  :D God elects who will repent and understand and who will not repent and think that they understand as in the multitudes who took the Parables of Jesus literally not hearing or discerning that the words He spoke are indeed Spirit.

I understand and accept the teaching here at BT that shows and edifies that understanding comes only from the Spirit of Christ.

At first we hear as in Christiandom the pulpit teachings. Then we discuss what we have heard with our "fellowship". We still do not receive discernment and the revelation of experience of understanding until Christ blesses us with His Wisdom Knowledge and Understanding.

It requires a clean heart to see God and this too only is of the Lord who gives Repentance to whom He chooses. For me Repentance is the forerunner of understanding. Without a clear conscience we can not begin to comprehend or know or draw near to our Lords ways thoughts and life. We can not HEAR His voice if our hearts are tarred with sin and our ears plugged with error.

Young Samuel was pure enough to hear but not wise enough to discern at first. God provided a way for him and blessed him with Eli to direct him as we too are blessed with Ray to direct us!

Peace be to you

Arcturus :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 11:19:16 AM by Arcturus »

Beloved

Re: Speak; for thy servant heareth
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »

Great insight Erick

Very important becuase only a "servant" will truley hear (more than just an auditory event ....it is with the intent to follow the instructions)

H8085
שׁמע
shâma‛
BDB Definition:
1) to hear, listen to, obey (verb)
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to hear (perceive by ear)
1a2) to hear of or concerning
1a3) to hear (have power to hear)
1a4) to hear with attention or interest, listen to
1a5) to understand (language)
1a6) to hear (of judicial cases)
1a7) to listen, give heed
1a7a) to consent, agree
1a7b) to grant request
1a8) to listen to, yield to
1a9) to obey, be obedient
1b) (Niphal)
1b1) to be heard (of voice or sound)
1b2) to be heard of
1b3) to be regarded, be obeyed
1c) (Piel) to cause to hear, call to hear, summon
1d) (Hiphil)
1d1) to cause to hear, tell, proclaim, utter a sound
1d2) to sound aloud (musical term)
1d3) to make proclamation, summon
1d4) to cause to be heard
2) sound (noun masculine)

Beloved
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.