bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genesis 6:6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man  (Read 4315 times)

kennymac

Genesis 6:6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man
« on: September 27, 2006, 04:10:43 AM »

Hello,

I'm not quite sure I understand these verses correctly, any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Genesis 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

7And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

God Bless,

Mary Ann

buddyjc

Re: Genesis 6:6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 04:27:55 AM »

Hi Mary Ann,

What exactly is your question concerning the passage?

Brian

buddyjc

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 11:57:15 AM »

Hi again Mary Ann,

First of all we need to see that God doesn't repent of anything.  It is man's view that God repents.  We know from Scripture that God does not change.

Mal 3:6  For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Also, everything written is for our admonition, or warning.

1Co 10:11  Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

The story of the flood, is just another example to us of the many called, and the few chosen.  Everything written in the O.T. pictures Christ and/or His work in some way. 

I hope this answers your question.

Your Brother,
Brian

Kat

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:37:11 PM »

Hi Mary Ann,

Gen 6:6  And it repented Jehovah that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

I believe that the word 'repented' is and unfortunate translation.

In Strong's Greek dictionary:
H5162
נחם
nâcham
naw-kham'
A primitive root; properly to sigh, that is, breathe strongly; by implication to be sorry, that is, (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself): - comfort (self), ease [one’s self], repent (-er, -ing, self).

God takes no pleasure or delight in His heart over the horrible things that happen to humanity,
but nonetheless, these things are absolutely essential to the fulfillment of the plan,
that God has devised in His mind.

Eze 33:11  Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord Jehovah, I do not have delight in the death of the wicked, except in the wicked turning from his way, and so to live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! For why will you die, O house of Israel?

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

chuckusa

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 01:34:12 PM »

Hi Mary Ann,

I've always felt as Kat, that "repented" was a mistranslation. My understanding of it is realated to how I feel about my daughter. I quite often give out a long "sigh" when forced to examine the pain that she will certainly go through in her life, and in many ways is starting to experience now. This sigh is out of love, and I feel that God wanted us to know that he takes no pleasure in what we must go through, but that it is necessary.

When he references the beast, and the fowl of the air, again it's love, knowing even the suffering that they too will endure. Everything that has life will suffer and toil to live, one way or another. I think it shows an incredible love.

Peace,
Chuck

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.