bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Written For Our Admonition  (Read 5663 times)

hillsbororiver

Written For Our Admonition
« on: September 29, 2006, 12:35:47 PM »

My somewhat rather recent eureka! moment in regard to the OT scriptures and their application to the called and chosen has really been helpful in understanding many of the recent posts that deal with suffering, lonliness, weariness of spirit and even joy.

Paul gives us direction here in using these ancient texts and in applying them to our own individual journeys, as I see it we may be in groups in some manner or other but our walks with Him are one on one, personal and often very private;

1Co 10:11  Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

1Co 10:12  Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

1Co 10:13  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

James and Peter speak of these things as well;

Jam 5:10  Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.

Jam 5:11  Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy.

1Pe 1:11  Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glory that should follow.

1Pe 1:12  Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

Haven't we all from time to time felt the things the Prophets, the "men of old" describe? The lonliness, the feelings of worthlessness, the loving instruction and forgiveness of our Lord, the peace and joy only He can provide and also the refining fire that slowly transforms us into the Sons and Daughters of God Almighty?

Deu 32:10  He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye.

Deu 32:11  As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings:

Deu 32:12  So the LORD alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him.

Psa 3:4  I cried unto the LORD with my voice and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.

Isa 2:17  And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be made low: and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.

Ezr 9:5  And at the evening sacrifice I arose up from my heaviness; and having rent my garment and my mantle, I fell upon my knees, and spread out my hands unto the LORD my God,

Ezr 9:6  And said, O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift up my face to thee, my God: for our iniquities are increased over our head, and our trespass is grown up unto the heavens.

This theme of knowing the Lord, of loving Him and His Truth only to fall away by being puffed up or timid in our walk, then the realization of where we are, the despair we feel, the need to be alone with Him and then the joy and peace of His forgiveness and love.

When I read the OT now I keep seeing this incredible journey be repeated over and over, when the Lord repeats something it is a safe bet we should be paying close attention.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 01:07:58 PM by hillsbororiver »

YellowStone

Re: Written For Our Admonition
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »

Joe, you have once again touched on a very deep and meaningful issue close to my heart. As I began reading your post, the 23rd Psalm came vividly into mind, compelling me to once again read it.

Wow!! David nailed it....  though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

[A Psalm of David.]

Psa 23:1 The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.

Psa 23:2  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Psa 23:3  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Psa 23:4  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Psa 23:5  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Psa 23:6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Thanks again Joe for sharing your wonderful insight.

Love to you and yours,

Darren
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 02:19:26 PM by YellowStone »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »

You are very welcome Darren,

Your addition of the 23rd Psalm to this thread is perfect.

Thank you,

Joe

orion77

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 10:04:16 PM »

I hear ya, Joe.  The OT opens up the NT and the NT opens up the OT, His word is incredible.  Here is a chapter in Isiah I like very much.

(Isa 62:1 LITV)  For Zion's sake, I will not be silent; and for Jerusalem's sake, I will not rest; until her righteousness goes forth as brightness, and her salvation as a burning lamp.

(Isa 62:2 LITV)  And nations shall see your righteousness, and all kings your glory. And you shall be called by a new name which the mouth of Jehovah shall specify.

(Isa 62:3 LITV)  You also shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of Jehovah, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

(Isa 62:4 LITV)  You no longer shall be called Forsaken; nor shall your land any longer be called Desolate. But you shall be called, My Delight is in Her; and your land, Married. For Jehovah delights in you, and your land is married.

(Isa 62:5 LITV)  For as a young man marries a virgin, so shall your sons marry you. And as a bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so your God shall rejoice over you.

(Isa 62:6 LITV)  I have set watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem. All the day and all the night they shall not always be silent; you who remember Jehovah, do not let a pause be to you.

(Isa 62:7 LITV)  And give no pause to Him until He sets up and makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth.

(Isa 62:8 LITV)  Jehovah has sworn by His right hand, and by the might of His arm: Surely I will no longer give your grain as food for your enemies; and the sons of a stranger shall not drink your new wine for which you have labored.

(Isa 62:9 LITV)  But those who have gathered it shall eat it, and praise Jehovah. And they who have collected it shall drink it in My holy courts.

(Isa 62:10 LITV)  Pass! Pass through the gates; prepare the way of the people! Raise up! Raise up the highway; clear it from stones; lift up a banner over the peoples.

(Isa 62:11 LITV)  Behold, Jehovah has made it to be heard to the end of the earth; Tell the daughter of Zion, Behold! Your salvation comes! Behold! His reward is with Him, and His work before Him.

(Isa 62:12 LITV)  And they shall call them, The Holy People, the Redeemed of Jehovah. And to you it shall be called, Sought Out, A City Not Forsaken.

God bless,

Gary

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 01:37:51 PM »

Gary,

Yes, the hope that sees us through the trials, the great promises we have to guide us through the wilderness even as our very being can be made to feel desolate. His refining Fire burnishes while His promise gives us strength, we look forward to being made into His very image, as Sons and Daughters of the Father.

Look at Psalm Chapter 78 (too long to post here) and see this process once more.

Here is the trailer, the bit to pique one's curiousity;

Psalm 78

1Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.

2I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:

3Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.

4We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.

5For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:

There are 67 more verses in this chapter, some real meat here!

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

orion77

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 08:45:47 PM »

I agree with you Joe, a whole lot written for our admonition in the 78th Psalm.  Thank God for sending His Son to usher in a new covenant of faith.  Our forefathers could not keep the law and forsook God, and so have we.  Thank God we are no longer under the law, but grace.  Not that we are not under any kind of law, but a new spiritual law, which hinges on faith, love, forgiveness, and mercy.

Our Lord came to declare the Father.  There were many, many hints of it throughout the OT.  He was constantly forgiving their shortcomings and showed mercy.  Now it's fully known by the ministry of Jesus.  He came not to condemn as the law states, but to forgive and save us.  To be obedient, we take it on faith, and that faith not our own, but a gift from God.  So there can be no boasting or accusing each other.

Yet, the ones who still see themselves under the law of Moses are constantly accusing each other, as if there is something they did to deserve the gifts of God.  His gifts are freely given, not that we did this, or did that, but only by the sacrifice of Jesus, who fulfilled the law.  He not only fulfilled the negative side of the law, but the positive side also. 

Now we have a high priest, who was tempted as we are, being perfect in Gods eyes, who declared the perfect will and character of the Father.  Who was always willing to heal, forgive, admonish, and teach of the love of God. 

He was never like the ones today we constantly hear of, who want us to love God out of fear.  He spoke the truth, and the greatest thing is He will come again in Spirit and power and testify to your spirit, that He is the Way, Truth, and Light.

I love these words in these verses:

(Heb 8:1 LITV)  Now a summary over the things being said: We have such a High Priest, who sat down on the right of the throne of the Majesty in Heaven, Psa. 110:1

(Heb 8:2 LITV)  Minister of the Holy of Holies, and of the true tabernacle which the Lord pitched, and not man.

(Heb 8:3 LITV)  For every high priest is set in place to offer both gifts and sacrifices; from which it is necessary for this One also to have something which He may offer.

(Heb 8:4 LITV)  For if indeed He were on earth, He would not even be a priest, there being those priests offering gifts according to the Law,

(Heb 8:5 LITV)  who serve the pattern of and shadow of heavenly things, even as Moses was divinely warned, being about to make the tabernacle: For He says, "See that you make all things according to the pattern being shown to you in the mount." Exodus 25:40

(Heb 8:6 LITV)  But now He has gotten a more excellent ministry, also by so much as He is a Mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.

(Heb 8:7 LITV)  For if that first was faultless, place would not have been sought for a second.

(Heb 8:8 LITV)  For finding fault, He said to them, "Behold, days are coming, says the Lord, and I will make an end on the house of Israel and on the house of Judah; a new covenant shall be,

(Heb 8:9 LITV)  not according to the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day of My taking hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I did not regard them, says the Lord.

(Heb 8:10 LITV)  Because this is the covenant which I will covenant with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord, giving My Laws into their mind, and I will write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people."

(Heb 8:11 LITV)  "And they shall no more teach each one their neighbor, and each one his brother, saying, Know the Lord; because all shall know Me, from the least of them to their great ones.

(Heb 8:12 LITV)  For I will be merciful to their unrighteousnesses, and I will not at all remember their sins and their lawless deeds." LXX-Jer. 38:31-34; MT-Jer. 31:31-34

(Heb 8:13 LITV)  In the saying, New, He has made the first old. And the thing being made old and growing aged is near disappearing.

The God we worship has mercy that endures forever.

God bless,

Gary

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 09:30:20 PM »

Gary,

Thank you for expounding on this theme.

His Peace to you Brother,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 11:34:28 AM »

Sometimes we have a common need, concern or emotion here in regard to what more than a few members are presently experiencing. This thread came to mind when reading a few topics and posts this morning.

His Peace to you,

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.