bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long Hair  (Read 17109 times)

Kevin

Long Hair
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 12:24:48 AM »

I agree Sorin its just hair.I had long hair and short hair and Im sure Gods love towards me was the same either way. I had friends that belonged to churches and it was all rules-wear this wear that put your hair in a bun, cut your hair. Its all bondage.

Sorin

Long Hair
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 12:25:10 AM »

Quote from: hillsbororiver
I wasn't going to post anything in this thread but I think some of us are missing the point of what Paul said and it's relationship to the time he was living in. I believe it has more to do with custom more than any specific or literal length of hair

I think you've nailed it.

sunset_drama_king

Long Hair
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 12:47:53 AM »

Quote from: Sorin
Quote from: Ray
it is a shame for a man to have long and/or curley hair

Well said.

Sorin,

that pic of Christ you posted is extremely pagan it hurts to look at it, I highly doubt Christ looked anything like that pic.... in fact we aren't told Christ had long hair at all, so it's merely conjecture on that point.  Notice the SUN behind Christ's head, this is a classic cultic/mythological form of art to express DIVINE POWER, also how the robe is pulled up into a portion of a triangle.....I bet I could find more if I studied it longer....

Anyhow, that being said, I also agree it's not correct to condemn someone or even find spiritual fault in someone with "long" hair, I mean how in the world do you define LONG?  That eliminates the "physical condemnation" of this completely...the point is obviously, to have long hair to "look like a women" as in the intention of the heart, which IS what defiles us, not hair.....it's to desire "being feminine", all the guys I know with long hair, have this be the LAST goal on their mind.....

I grew up in a strict pentecostal church that was obsessed with me and my brother's long hair (we played "christian metal" back then....), to the point of threatening hell fire on us if we did not cut it.....of course, before leaving that den of hypocrisy, we would just mention Samson's story (being just as carnal, it's all we had to go on, what can I say.... lol) and ask "How could God give this man power because of His long hair, and then turn around now and expect us to literally cut it now because its important enough to send us to hell forever"....not the best argument, but it shut them up usually....

Anyways, it's what's WITHIN a man that defiles us, if our hair does this (or unwashed hands), then Christ bold faced lied....I guess take your pick everyone.  I have.

[ironically I have short hair now, nothing to do with my choice, just job circumstance, etc... LOL]   :P

God Bless,

- Brett

Sorin

Long Hair
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 01:11:24 AM »

Quote from: sunset_drama_king
Sorin,

that pic of Christ you posted is extremely pagan it hurts to look at it, I highly doubt Christ looked anything like that pic.... in fact we aren't told Christ had long hair at all, so it's merely conjecture on that point.

True, but we are told Jesus was a Jew. and that's good enough for me to
suggest that most likely he had long hair. and does anyone doubt that He didn't wear pants?

Notice the SUN behind Christ's head, this is a classic cultic/mythological form of art to express DIVINE POWER, also how the robe is pulled up into a portion of a triangle.....I bet I could find more if I studied it longer....

Well isn't Christ the Divine Saviour? then what's wrong with a Sun symbolizing Divine Power for someone who is Divine?

Besides, I just did a google search for Jesus, to find a pic I could use for that post. :lol:

I didn't really stop to ponder the sun and the triangulars and what not.

Anyhow, that being said, I also agree it's not correct to condemn someone or even find spiritual fault in someone with "long" hair, I mean how in the world do you define LONG? That eliminates the "physical condemnation" of this completely...the point is obviously, to have long hair to "look like a women" as in the intention of the heart, which IS defiles us.....to "be more feminine", all the guys I know with long hair, have this be the LAST goal on their mind.....

Right and most guys that have long hair nowadays are in rock bands and they're not trying to become chicks, they're trying to get chicks. :lol:

I grew up in a strict pentecostal church that was obsessed with me and my brother's long hair (we played "christian metal" back then....), to the point of threatening hell fire on us if we did not cut it.....of course, before leaving that den of hypocrisy, we would just mention Samson's story(being carnal it's all we had to go on, what can I say.... lol) and ask "How could God give this man power because of His long hair, and then turn around now and expect us to literally cut it now because its important enough to send us to hell forever"....not the best argument, but it shut them up usually....

Yeah, I have that Pentecostal background too unfortunately.

Anyways, it's what's WITHIN a man that defiles us, if our hair does this (or unwashed hands), then Christ bold faced lied....I guess take your pick everyone. I have.

Exactly. it's not about the physical. the Flesh Profits nothing.

love_magnified

Long Hair
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 01:25:13 AM »

True, but we are told Jesus was a Jew. and that's good enough for me to suggest that most likely he had long hair. and does anyone doubt that He didn't wear pants?

It would be strange for Paul to admonish men to keep their hair short if Christ Jesus had his hair long shortly before in the flesh, especially if that was the style for the typical Jew (Paul was a Pharisee after all, with short hair).

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/12/25/face.jesus/index.html

Would some lose some love for Jesus if he didn't look pretty, but looked more like this:

It's worth considering. Before I understood the reconciliation of all things, this was a test for me. Now I don't care. He is beautiful regardless of what his flesh looked like. But some make an idol out of his image and fall in love with that idol (not that this is you, Sorin, but it makes me think...) ;)

Sorin

Long Hair
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 01:34:02 AM »

Well no I have no idol of the image of Jesus. I just don't see what's wrong with letting the hair grow since God created it naturally to grow. there is no commandment that says: Thou shalt cut thy hair.

love_magnified

Long Hair
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 01:39:30 AM »

Again, that was in no way a personal accusation, it just made me think.  :wink:

But didn't God also create sexual instincts in man? Why not let them run wild too? Also, it doesn't matter if there is a commandment in the Bible. We don't live according to that law anyway, but the New Commandment: love your brother. I too do not see anything intrinsically wrong with long hair. What comes out of our hearts is what defiles us.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Long Hair
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 01:42:12 AM »

Jesus' face was that of any ordinary Jew. Look at any Jew you know and that could very easily be what Jesus looked like.

Look at the statues of Jesus' day and you will see most are clean shaven.

That picture is disgusting and shows what the pagan church is all about. They worship the Man and a false man at that. They need to conger up an image in their mind. Many have no clue Jesus is the God of the OT. They concentrate on the few years God walked among us as a man and think Jesus is sitting next to his Father as a flesh and blood human being.

Jesus is the Creator. He created Adam and He created us. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He is not what the picture portrays, that is an effeminate, kissie, huggie, wimp.

Does anyone actually believe God controls and sustains the universe with a human brain?

If anyone gets that picture in their mind when they think about Jesus, they need to ask Jesus to blot it out, never to return. It is pagan through and through.

Sorry about the rant, a sore spot,

Dennis

Sorin

Long Hair
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 01:45:04 AM »

Quote from: love_magnified
Again, that was in no way a personal accusation, it just made me think. Wink

But didn't God also create sexual instincts in man? Why not let them run wild too?

Jesus specifically talked about sexual imorality, but never did Jesus talk about hair.

so these two things are not even in the same league.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
Long Hair
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 01:50:18 AM »

Just occurred to me: Just as the church has everything 180 degrees backward, that picture must also be inspired by Satan. Jesus must have had short hair and no facial hair (I know, no way of knowing for sure).

love_magnified

Long Hair
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 01:51:57 AM »

Amen Dennis,

Isaiah 53:2
He grew up before him like a tender shoot and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

Jesus specifically talked about sexual imorality, but never did Jesus talk about hair.

so these two things are not even in the same league.

I was basically following your reasoning that if God creates it then why bother hindering it. My point is basically that God creates thorns, then tells us to stay away. If we touch them we get hurt.

Sorin

Long Hair
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 01:57:20 AM »

Quote from: Dennis Vogel
Just occurred to me: Just as the church has everything 180 degrees backward, that picture must also be inspired by Satan. Jesus must have had short hair and no facial hair (I know, no way of knowing for sure).

Well Dennis,

you do make a valid point. as usaul. :lol:

But I still doubt God will think any less of me due to my physical appearence i.e. hair, clothes, etc...

i'm still not convinced what Paul said about the hair, wasn't just having to do with the culture there and then. notice he said shame, not sin.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
Long Hair
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 01:59:56 AM »

Well Dennis,

you do make a valid point. as usaul. :lol:

But I still doubt God will think any less of me due to my physical appearence i.e. hair, clothes, etc...

i'm still not convinced what Paul said about the hair, wasn't just having to do with the culture there and then.

I think the shame is a man looking like a woman, or intentionally looking like a woman.

Dennis

rvhill

Long Hair
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 02:30:31 AM »

Well, I did say were that picture did come from.

hillsbororiver

Long Hair
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2006, 08:24:27 AM »

Quote from: davey C.
Hi Joe I see what you are saying,should I if I have short and it offends someone should I grow it long and if me loving my enemies causes someone to be offended should I quit or say much of what we beleive is truth is causing most of the called to stumble or be offended should we quit telling the truth.In matt 15:11 -14 the called were offended or stumbled,as He is so are we in the world.Is Yashua a stone of stumbling?I try not to offend a brother.James 3:2For in many things we offend all.love davey

Hi Davey, reread my post, my conclusion is that we should not offend out of our own vanities or personal tastes, but at the same time not compromising Truth for popularity.

This "covering" has more to do with how we conduct ourselves in society than it does with absolutes in regard to fashion. Never did I imply that we were to be lukewarm or cavalier in His Truth.

Joe

davey C.

Long Hair
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 08:52:31 AM »

Hey I gotcha ya Joe.I just know that most stumble at the truth.peace and love to you Joe.

jennie

long hair
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 09:04:04 AM »

Isn't it amazing that we can still get "bogged down" in looks as far as what is right or wrong? Again. from a novice to this site if I could share something with you all. When I was a little girl, my Daddy had a severe drinking problem. All his friends did too. I was the only little girl in the house so I will let you fill in the blanks as to what can happen to little girls when there are lots of drunken men around. Please don't make me write the words just suffice it to say there was a lot of physical pain. I couldn't tell anyone but somehow my Granny knew I was suffering badly, she just didn't know how. She told me that Jesus would always be with meand whenI was scared Just to try to think of Him. I told her I didn't know what He looked like to be able to think of him. I was only about 7 at this time. She and my Grandpa went and got me a pretty little Bible. There was a picture of Jesus in the front . That picture with all the children. She told me to read and "hide God's Word in my Heart" and I would be okay. I didn't know what she meant really so I hid that Bible over my heart , under my p.j. top and imagined Jesus with the children. It worked because when one of those men came creeping into my room and lifted my p.j. top they saw my little Bible and they left! They didn't hurt me! I know that wasn't what my Granny meant by what she told me but that is what I did. And whether that picture was accurate or not didn't matter to me , it mad me feel safe. I was sich a goofy kid wasn't I ?

rvhill

Long Hair
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 02:42:47 PM »

Jennie I am still a goofy kid, and I am 38 years old :shock:  :oops:  :mrgreen:  \:D/

Kevin

Long Hair
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 03:14:16 PM »

Isa50:6-I gave my back to the smitters and my CHEEKS to them that PLUCKED off my HAIR I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.