bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sports?  (Read 5287 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Sports?
« on: October 04, 2006, 01:12:47 PM »

Dear Ray,
  I am a man in my late 60's...I have played and watched sports all my life (high school, college and professional)until 7years ago. After a period of intense Bible study for 5-6 years, I became convicted that "competition between men" is not of God. In it's purest form, competition pits one man and his skills and abilities against another man and his skills and abilities. With scripture telling us that we have nothing that wasn't given us, that we are to consider others better than ourselves, that we are to live our lives in humility towards God and man, that we are not to be proud and boastful, that we are not to try to harm our fellow man.....we Christians blithely go our merry way, fully supporting all the sin (murder, pride, anger,etc.) that accompanies all sports contests, whether it's watching on TV or buying tickets to the contest. I suppose it's possible that you have never given much thought to this, but, if you have, I would appreciate hearing yo ur opinion.
                                                             Yours in Christ,
                                                                       Bob 
Dear Bob:

[1]  "Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoices as a strong man to RUN A RACE" (Psalm 19:5).

[2]  "Know you not that they which RUN IN A RACE run all, but one receives the prize? SO RUN, THAT YE MAY OBTAIN" (I Cor. 9:24-25).

[3]  "...LET US RUN with patience THE RACE that is set before us"  (Heb. 12:1).

[4]  "And if a man also strive for masteries [Gk: 'to compete in competative {athletic}games], yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully" (KJV)  "'Now if anyone should be competing in the games also, he is not given a wreath if ever he should not be COMPETING LAWFULLY" (II Tim. 2:5, Concordant Literal New Testament).

[5]  "But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might FINISH MY COURSE [Gk: 'dromos'--race.  'perfect my career--as a professional RUNNER']...." (Acts 20:24).

[6]  I have FOUGHT A GOOD FIGHT, I have finished my course [race], I have kept the faith" (II Tim. 4:7).  See also: Phil. 3:14; II Tim. 4:7; Gal. 2:2; etc.

There are other illusions to wrestling and boxing, but I don't have time to go into the Greek.
God be with you,
Ray

PS   I don't believe we can associate such sins as "murder" with baseball, football, basketball, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.