bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mathew 24  (Read 6121 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Mathew 24
« on: October 04, 2006, 01:14:19 PM »

Great site!  I visit quite often.  I just have a quick question; I will keep this short since you get so many emails.

In Matthew 24, why does Jesus say:

"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."
-Jesus, Matthew 24:34 (NASB)

It seems at first glance (and second, third, etc.) that Jesus said that certain things would take place in his generation that do not seem to have taken place.  What is the meaning of this?

I do not need an immediate reply.  I do not wish to cause stress by adding to your list of emails, I just don't know who else to ask.  I've looked into some possible explanations, but I haven't been satisfied.  You have a way with explaining mysteries.

Austin

Dear Austin:
Like most "quick questions," your's also requires a not so quick answer.  In many prophecies there is a dual fulfillment. Neither Preterists nor Futurists seem to understand this.  Some things prophesied in Matt. 24 and 25 were to take place in the near future, in THAT generation.  Jesus was crucified somewhere in the 30's AD and Jerusalem was indeed destroyed by 70 AD.

However, when Jesus said that "THIS generation" in Matt. 24:34, He did not mean "THAT generation" living at that time.  Notice the words a few verses before:  "So likewise ye [whoever the 'ye' will be when these things happen], when ye shall see ALL THESE THINGS, know that it is near, even at the doors" (Verse 33).

WHAT "all THESE things?" Why all the things that he mentioned leading up to this point. And included are the "Sign of the Son of man in heaven," and the resurrection and gathering of the saints, etc. (Verse 30). Now THAT did not happen back in the first century AD.  It is yet future. But the future generation who sees "ALL these things," that generation living at THAT time, shall not pass untall all these things be fulfilled, including the coming of our Lord.
God be with you,
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.