bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Babies in limbo?  (Read 4786 times)

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Babies in limbo?
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:29:13 PM »

This came up on my AOL earlier. I just pasted some of the article so others may see what the church is considering.
I hope I am not breaking any forum rules by posting this; I truly don't believe this, just wanted yall to see it.

Babies Born Without Baptism Go to Limbo?
Vatican Document May Be Ready to Clarify Issue
By FRANCES D'EMILIO, AP

VATICAN CITY (Oct. 6) - Vatican theologians are leaning toward revising centuries-old teaching that babies who die without baptism go to limbo instead of heaven, officials said Friday.

"All of us have hope for the babies" that they will go to heaven, under the revised thinking on limbo, said the Rev. Luis Ladaria, a Jesuit who is secretary-general of the Vatican's International Theological Commission.

The commission, which advises the pope and other top doctrinal officials of the church, has spent the week debating the question of limbo in view of preparing a document.

Although Catholics have long believed that children who die without being baptized still have original sin and are thus excluded from heaven, the church has no formal doctrine on the matter, Vatican officials have noted.

Theologians have taught that such children enjoy an eternal state of perfect natural happiness, commonly called limbo.

The theologians, including clergy and laity, were holding a final session Friday evening. But Ladaria said the theologians have not reached the point of drafting a document.
 ???

hart4god

Re: Babies in limbo?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 07:02:25 PM »

Wow-

are they like, making this up as they go along????

when I was a terrified catholic school girl in a terrifying catholic school, they used to tell us that babies who died and weren't baptised went to hell.

most of us were baptised when we were less than 5 days old, just in case!!!!
  ;D

I feel sorry for men who have to make up their doctrines. It must be scary for them.
I am so glad that God, who so loved the world.......wrote my doctrine.

thanks for the post.
judie h.

a_child_of_God

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:21:13 PM »

I'd like to see the scriptures they'd come up with to back this up. Would be interesting.

Ruth

snorky

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 11:04:07 PM »

Hey, Judie, I was given the "limbo" thing in Catholic School (as well as CCD classes later), so maybe the Catholics who taught you were of a different order (out nuns were Franciscans, I think...the ones who look like penguins).

Having a Catholic mother and Protestant father, this is another one of the things they used to argue about at the dinner table. It was my dad who said, believe it or not, that unbaptized babies probably went to hell (!). You know when I was the Catholic classroom I remember thinking about all those unbaptized babies crying for their mommies in "limbo" (and, even crazier, all the puppies in "doggie heaven"...it was in second grade that the nun, to make us all feel better about dead pets, told us about doggie heaven and kitten heaven (never occurring to anyone about other animal heavens).

So, no, they didn't just make this up as they went along. they probably made this up a long long time ago, maybe when they used to have abbotts and whatnot raising bees or sheep or something (bee heaven? imagine!)--snorky

Deb

hart4god

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 10:43:10 AM »

Hi Deb,

The Catholic church sure put the fear of God in me, that is for sure. But it served a purpose when I grew up. Could not deny the existence of God no matter what-

The ideas of babies in hell sure worked to keep us in line. We all figured if God would send babies to hell- then we were gonne be next for any little thing we did.

I think nuns and others do whatever it takes to  get their job of teaching the little hellions done - and fear was a great tool!  :o

I departed the catholic church at the earliest possible moment (when I turned 18) and never looked back.
I just feel sorry for so many sincerely wrong people.

thankfully most of my immediate family has come out of that level of babylon-

I don't know what order our nuns were- Sisters of Saint Joseph is all I can remember- they ran all the Catholic education in the city here. except for the boys schools. I think they could have had franciscan monks or something.

have a good day,
judie h.

dcfreedom

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 05:59:11 PM »

every "religion" uses fear. it is embedded in their doctrine. this is how they keep people "in line". think of it this way.
False Evidence Appearing Real

your brother in christ, dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.