bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sacrificing, the Offering, the Elect  (Read 6844 times)

hillsbororiver

Sacrificing, the Offering, the Elect
« on: October 08, 2006, 12:54:28 PM »

The past week or so I have been studying and contemplating the sacrifices and offerings practiced by the Israelites and the meanings of the different types, I had previously only given it minor attention as I was under the impression that the animal sacrifices or burnt offerings were a type and/or shadow of Christ's sacrifice at the cross. I still see that as the primary type but (I don't knoe if this has been covered anywhere else) now I also see the shadow of the "elect" in these sacrifices as well.

I got this in Wikipedia;

Korban

Korban (קרבן) (plural: Korbanot קרבנות) is a Jewish practice of sacrifice or offering, usually that of an animal. It is known as a Korban in Hebrew because its Hebrew root K [a] R
  • V (קרב) means to "[come] Close (or Draw Near) [to God]", which the English words "sacrifice" or "offering" do not fully convey. There were many different types of korbanot. Once performed as part of the religious ritual in the Temple in Jerusalem in Ancient Israel, the practice was stopped in AD 70, after the destruction of the Second Temple.

A Korban was usually an animal such as a sheep or a bull that was ritually slaughtered,and (usually) cooked and eaten by the offerer, with parts given to the Kohanim (priests) and parts burned on an altar. The Hebrew Bible narrates that the God of Israel commanded the Children of Israel to offer korbanot up on various altars, and describes the ritual's practice in the ancient Tabernacle, on high places, and in the Temple in Jerusalem during the history of ancient Israel and Judah until the Second Temple was destroyed in AD 70. Korbanot could also consist of grain, incense, fruit, and a variety of other offerings. Korbanot and the nature of their practice continue to have relevance to Jewish theology, ritual, and law, particularly in Orthodox Judaism.

My thoughts on why I can see the elect in this is because when one is "drawn to God" the process of the purifying fire begins as you die to the flesh daily, the smoke of the burning or cooking can be a representation of the spirit being refined and God's pleasure in seeing His children begin this process that will ultimately produce Sons and Daughters.

The requirement for unblemished animals seems to not only represent our Lord but also represents God the Father seeing the elect through the blood of Christ, a finished product, perfect so to speak.

I can see the priests role in this as a representation of Christ working in each and every one of His chosen to lose the carnality of the flesh and to grow in His spirit.

The following are some of the traditional names for offerings/sacrifices.

Olah: Burnt Offering, Zebach Sh'lamim: Peace Offering, Chatat: Sin Offering, Asham: Guilt Offering

There is alot of scripture that speaks of the elect being purged, refined, burnished, etc. in fire, and the need to die before gaining true (spiritual) life, the elect going through this process in this life and the rest of humanity in the next age. I really see these ancient sacrifices as pointing to Christ first, His sacrifice of love for His creation, and then the elect as God draws them to Him and eventually to all as they are purified by the Fire in the age to come.

I did not include alot of things in this post as I was not sure if there would be any interest in this topic or that it may be considered too elementary or of little significance. I found it to be very interesting and I experienced a bit of an "eureka!" moment when meditating and studying this subject.

If anyone has any observations or comments I would truly appreciate the input.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 12:46:19 PM by hillsbororiver »

bobbys43

Re: Sacrificing, the Offering, the Elect
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 01:05:54 PM »

Romans 12:1-2

1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Joe is this in line with what has been revealed to you? I think I am getting what you are getting but am not real sure. I can be a real tard sometimes. :P :-\

bobby

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 01:53:37 PM »

Romans 12:1-2

1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Joe is this in line with what has been revealed to you? I think I am getting what you are getting but am not real sure. I can be a real tard sometimes. :P :-\

bobby

Absolutely right on target.

Bobby, the verses you quoted were some of the very ones that got me drawing these conclusions.

Thank you,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 04:08:44 PM »

Joe

I am reminded of the teachings Ray gave at Mobile especially surrounding Christ as a Sin Offering  So the sacrifice gets closer to home so to speak. It is not an animal anymore, it is our comforts, our pleasures and wants that entice the a) lust of the eyes, b) the comforts for the flesh and c) pride of life.

Rather like the chicken that sacrifices the egg but the pig sacrifices the bacon....

Our carnality we need offer to God as Christ offered HIS life.....It is so very difficult and impossible without Christ sharing His yolk ..not that He was chicken about anything!...on the contrary...He is God who gave up His life for us...no pun intended!  We can not choose this path but Christ that selects by HIM we are made complete through purging by the fire of HIS Spirit. Those who can truly say, not my will but thy will be done, are close to Christs image. This happens by Gods own work and we can see this  especially as we come to understand that our will only brings suffering and pain and the pig pen life of the flesh thatends in inner bankrupsy of heart and indecency while Gods will brings re-newed life.

.......now superimpose this thinking onto the fact that we do not have free will!...Sorry Joe, please bear with me, I am just thinking out loud....

God is in charge of everything but we sin volunarity and unlessl we are delivered from evil we can not save ourselves....Christ Jesus was the sacrifice and we are led to follow not through any merit of our own because our flesh is piggish and in Gods own time, we find that out because Christ did not come to save our bacon, He came to change our lives. He was the sacrifice. We are the pigs, chickens and sheep until by Grace we are conformed into His image.....

Arcturus....

Kat

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 04:13:11 PM »

Hi Joe,

I too had read and studied a little on the offerings and sacrifices,
but have a few notes on it.

1Pe 2:5  You, as living stones, are being made into a house of the spirit, a holy order of priests, making those offerings of the spirit which are pleasing to God through Jesus Christ.

We are to offer ourselves to Him, in His service.
We become an offering, if we lay down our lives in God's service.

2Co 2:15  For we are like a sweet-smelling incense offered by Christ to God, which spreads among those who are being saved and those who are being lost. (Wouldn't this be the spreading of the Truth, by the elect.)
2Co 2:16  For those who are being lost, it is a deadly stench that kills; but for those who are being saved, it is a fragrance that brings life. Who, then, is capable for such a task? (Some people are actually hardened by preaching, but for those chosen the Truth brings spiritual life.)
2Co 2:17  We are not like so many others, who handle God's message as if it were cheap merchandise; but because God has sent us, we speak with sincerity in his presence, as servants of Christ.

Col 1:24  Now I am rejoicing in my sufferings for you and completing in my flesh whatever remains of Christ's sufferings on behalf of his body, which is the church.
Col 1:25  I became its servant according to God's commission that was given to me for you, so that I might fulfill the ministry of the word of God.
Col 1:26  This secret was hidden throughout the ages and generations but has now been revealed to his saints,
Col 1:27  to whom God wanted to make known the glorious riches of this secret among the gentiles-which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

The only way to have Christ living in us, is to be crucified with Christ.

This is a interesting study, thanks for posting it.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Kat

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 11:10:55 AM »

Hi Joe,

I was rereading Ray's article 'Twelve God-Given Truths to Understanding His Word',
and came across this about Jesus concerning the offerings.
It is interesting when you consider everything points to Jesus, and is sombolic of Him.

http://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm

Jesus did not fulfill the sacrificed sin offering only. Jesus was not merely one offering, but the many offerings, burnt offerings, the meat offering, the peace offerings, the trespass offering, and the sin offering. Jesus also prefigured the priest doing the offering, the meaning of each offering, the compartments and furniture of the tabernacle, the bread, the candles, the curtain, the ark of the covenant, the tabernacle itself, and the whole nation of Israel—Jesus prefigures all and FULFILLED ALL.
--------------------------------------

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

YellowStone

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »

Kat,

That pretty much sums it all up. Christ was / is the ultimate sacrifice. Was - because he paid it and IS - because he is in us and we are paying it symbolically still.

Does that make sense,

Joe, this study is wonderful. :)

Darren

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »

I hope no one thinks I am minimizing or saying the sacrifice of Jesus is the same or equal to that of the elect and eventually all His Sons and Daughters, that is far from what I am trying to point out. In a nutshell the flesh (carnality) is on the alter and the Consuming Fire purifies the sacrifice until it is pleasing to God.

I don't have the time to elaborate now but there is more here, I appreciate your comments Kat, Bobby, Arcturus and Darren.

Darren, yes I believe you are getting my drift.

Deu 4:24  For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

Zec 13:9  And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as  silver is refined, and will try them as  gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and  will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

Mal 3:2  But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

Mal 3:3  And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

Mal 3:4  Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old, and as in former years.

Tit 2:14  Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Bobby, the verses you quoted in Romans line up perfectly with this idea.

Joe
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 12:58:56 PM by hillsbororiver »

mongoose

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 01:00:19 PM »

Joe,
  Thanks for sharing this.  I've never thought about this at all and you've got me thinking.  I tend to avoid the OT  :-[...I have enough trouble with the NT.

Much love,

mongoose

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 04:41:32 PM »

Hello Joe

From LOF part 15-C

But He knows the way that I take: when He (God) has tried me (Hebrew: 'tested me)" Job 23:10

So my conclusion regarding sacrifice is this....we all are going to be (sacrificed) tested, tried, pruned or... destroyed (aion).....

In this case, like Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego....we....need....Christ....in ....our....lives... as He was in the fire, loosening the bonds that bound Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego. HE liberated them to walk and talk with HIM....while yet in the fire....

The fire, or the sacrifice are inescapable.....just as the judgement is unavoidable.....The judgement now or latter that is the question....

...I read this today and I quote "Establish in me an unwavering faith, Lord, so that I will know that when I walk with You even the refining fire provides the perfect light for the step I'm on"..........

Arcturus :)

hillsbororiver

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 05:19:44 PM »

Hello Mongoose,

It was rather recently that the OT began to open up and become a loud Witness in my understanding, I don't recall what paper it was but I remember Ray stating that if you cannot see your journey in the testimony of the Prophets in the OT then maybe you are not being called to be one of the elect.

(Edit)

*In rereading this post I thought it came across rather harsh and that was certainly not my intention, my point was that the "men of old" the Prophets of the OT were commisioned to write of these things for the benefit of all the generations that followed, Ray had mentioned that we should be seeing ourselves in these testimonies. My sincere apology for not explaining this better.

1Co 10:11  Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Jam 5:10  Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience

Christ is to be our example in all things and dying to the flesh, even dying daily is the miracle of His Spirit living in us. Giving us a new life in spirit as our flesh, our carnal life our vanity is burned in the Fire of His consuming grace.

Arcturus, I am in total agreement with what you wrote and quoted, thank you.

Here is a bit more on this theme;

Zec 11:4  Thus saith the LORD my God; Feed the flock of the slaughter;

Rom 8:36  As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

Heb 8:5  Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern showed to thee in the mount.

1Pe 2:21  For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

As He is our example, He is also our strength, the Firstfruit bringing the firstfruits to Himself and the firstfruits of Him gathering the entire harvest in the age to come.

Joe
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 09:50:04 PM by hillsbororiver »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 06:00:54 PM »

....May HE, the SPIRIT OF CHRIST, establish in us an unwavering faith so that we will KNOW that we are walking with HIM so that HIS REFINING FIRE, that  consuming fire of  God may find us ready  when HE comes......that we may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man Luke 21:36

This is my prayer....

Arcturus :'(

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 08:39:21 PM »

Psa 51:17  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 11:15:09 PM »

Offering;

H4503
מנחה
minchâh
min-khaw'
From an unused root meaning to apportion, that is, bestow; a donation; euphemistically tribute; specifically a sacrificial offering (usually bloodless and voluntary): - gift, oblation, (meat) offering, present, sacrifice.

G4376
προσφορά
prosphora
pros-for-ah'
From G4374; presentation; concretely an oblation (bloodless) or sacrifice: - offering (up).

Sacrifice;

H2076
זבח
zâbach
zaw-bakh'
A primitive root; to slaughter an animal (usually in sacrifice): - kill, offer, (do) sacrifice, slay.

G2380
θύω
thuō
thoo'-o
A primary verb; properly to rush (breathe hard, blow, smoke), that is, (by implication) to sacrifice (properly by fire, but generally); by extension to immolate (slaughter for any purpose): - kill, (do) sacrifice, slay.

I am seeing that when the beast within is dying daily and we present ourselves as a living sacrifice to our Lord and God we then begin to do the things that please Him;

Mat 25:35  For I was hungry, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger and ye took me in:

Mat 25:36  Naked and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison and ye came unto me.

Mat 25:37  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry and fed thee? or thirsty and gave thee drink?

Mat 25:38  When saw we thee a stranger and took thee in? or naked and clothed thee?

Mat 25:39  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

Mat 25:40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Selfless works such as those above and the manifestation of the fruits of the spirit are what I believe is one of the shadows and types of the OT sacrifices/offerings, all of this made possible by the Sacrifice of sacrifices by our Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

Joe
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 11:16:54 PM by hillsbororiver »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.