bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Josh McDowell is coming to my school on 10/12.  (Read 4207 times)

jim

Josh McDowell is coming to my school on 10/12.
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:06:15 PM »

For those who don't know, I go to a Christian school.  Hmm, this should be interesting.  I'm sure he'll have some good stuff to say, but he'll probably mention hell a few times or something.

jim

Re: Josh McDowell is coming to my school on 10/12.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:34:47 PM »

Hehe, no one cares?

Anyway, he had a lot of good stuff to say.  First he gave his testimony, then he talked about how the bible we have today is the same as when it was first written.  Like how we have somewhere around 24,000 manuscripts of the old testament to within 50 years of when it was written, but of other historical books, like Caeser's Gallic Wars, which only we have like around 9 manuscripts of it and the oldest is 1000 years after Caesers death.

Then he talked about 11 of the 12 disciples suffered brutal tortures and deaths, because of what they believed.  Many people in history have died for lies, but they truly believed it was true.  No one would die for a lie if they knew it wasn't true, because that goes against human nature.  The apostles were eye witnesses,  and so was everybody that was in the community that Jesus lived in.  Everybody knew what Jesus did, and if someone tried to lie about what he did, someone would immediately correct them.

The last thing he talked about was love and sex and stuff like that.  He asked 3 people to define love, and they did, but they had some different definitions.  He said that if he asked everybody in the room to define love, there would probably be around 200 different definitions.  Hardly anybody knows what love is.  He showed us Ephesians 5:28, 29, which says that husbands should love their wives as they love themselves, for no one ever hated his own body, but nourishes it and cherishes it, as Christ does the church.  We love our own bodies, by nourishing it and cherishing it.  Nourish is to provide, like to provide wisdom and spirituality and the like, and cherish is to protect.

There was a lot more stuff too, of course, but I can't repeat it all that well, and I'm too lazy to type it all out.

SandyFla

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 04:13:26 PM »

Several years ago, when I got my kicks out of arguing with atheists, I bought his book "The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict." It gets pretty deep and isn't written for John (or Jane) Q. Citizen.

gmik

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 05:01:33 PM »

Sorin, he is an author, lecturer..... known in evangelical, conservative circles.

Early in my walk w/ the Lord, I read his book "Evidence that Demands a Verdict"
I thought it was very good at the time.

He takes the gospel facts of the death & resurrection of Jesus and proves it.

Jim, that was a good summary of his visit.  I read his book 30 years ago.  I wonder if he has grown any since then?? (in truth I mean)

gena

jim

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 07:09:26 PM »

I doubt he's grown much, but I guess I can't say for sure.  He was advertising his books, telling us to check them out and stuff (I heard he doesn't get any money from selling his books, which I thought was interesting).  So I went to the school library and looked at one, called "Don't Check Your Brains at the Door".  I looked in the table of contents to see if there was anything interesting.  There was a chapter called something like "The Universalist Myth".  He did a pretty poor job "exposing" Universalism.  He quoted like 2 verses and said people choose to go to Hell and stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.