bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defining Trials and Tribulations...  (Read 4670 times)

M_Oliver

Defining Trials and Tribulations...
« on: October 09, 2006, 08:07:04 PM »

I was going to post this as a question at first.  The question was basically going to be "how does the elect KNOW that their trials and tribulations are any different than what the rest of humanity suffers?"

With murder, rapes, robberies, accidental deaths, bankruptcy, etc. occurring every day to people of all walks of life, I couldn't help but wonder why the "elect" think their troubles were of any more importance.

As in...

strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.  (Acts 14:22)

G2347
θλίψις
thlipsis
thlip'-sis
From G2346; pressure (literally or figuratively): - afflicted, (-tion), anguish, burdened, persecution, tribulation, trouble.

and

because in much trial of tribulation the abundance of their joy, and their deep poverty, did abound to the riches of their liberality;
(2 Corinthians 8:2)

G1382
δοκιμή
dokimē
dok-ee-may'
From the same as G1384; test (abstractly or concretely); by implication trustiness: - experience (-riment), proof, trial.

But when I began searching I found the answer.  It is our faith that is pressured by tests.  Our faith in the TRUE mission of our God...

so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.  (1 Peter 1:7)

and because of His Word...

and he hath not root in himself, but is temporary, and persecution or tribulation having happened because of the word, immediately he is stumbled.  (Matthew 13:21)

Within these parameters it is impossible for non-believers to interpret their hardship as a reason to hate God.  They do not believe in the first place.  It sure can separate the many called from the few chosen though!  I know this could be milk to many but it is meat to me for a moment :).

orion77

Re: Defining Trials and Tribulations...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 09:27:21 PM »

I hear you, M_Oliver.

Can you see the difference in faith between the many and the few, it's like night and day.  And when they hear of our faith, persecution will swiftly come.  You can take that to the bank!  The strange thing is, the persecution does not come from non-belivers so much, but from the ones professing to believe.  Seems, it has always been that way, from the OT to the NT, through church history and today.

Here are some words from Jesus that gives me great comfort in times of persection:

(Luk 6:22 LITV)  Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they cut you off, and will reproach you, and will cast out your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man;

(Luk 6:23 LITV)  rejoice in that day, and leap for joy; for, behold, your reward is much in Heaven! For their fathers did according to these things to the prophets.

(Luk 6:24 LITV)  But woe to you, rich ones, for you have your comfort!

(Luk 6:25 LITV)  Woe to you, those having been filled, for you will hunger! Woe to you, those laughing now, for you will mourn and lament!

(Luk 6:26 LITV)  Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for their fathers did according to these things to the false prophets.

(Luk 6:27 LITV)  But I say to you, Those hearing: Love the ones hostile to you, do good to those hating you,

(Luk 6:28 LITV)  bless those cursing you and pray for those insulting you.

(Luk 6:29 LITV)  To those striking you on the cheek, turn the other also. And from those taking your garment, do not keep back the tunic also.

(Luk 6:30 LITV)  And to everyone asking you, give. And do not ask back from those taking your things.

(Luk 6:31 LITV)  And according as you desire that men should do to you, you also do the same to them.

(Luk 6:32 LITV)  And if you love those who love you, what thanks is there to you? For even sinners love those who love them.

(Luk 6:33 LITV)  And if you do good to those who do good to you, what thanks is there to you? For even the sinners do the same.

(Luk 6:34 LITV)  And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what thanks is there to you? For the sinners lend to sinners so that they may receive the equal things.

(Luk 6:35 LITV)  But love the ones hostile to you, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be much; and you will be sons of the Most High, for He is kind to the unthankful and evil ones.

(Luk 6:36 LITV)  Therefore, be merciful, even as your Father also is merciful.

(Luk 6:37 LITV)  Judge not, and in no way be judged. Do not condemn, and in no way you will be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

(Luk 6:38 LITV)  Give, and good measure will be given to you, pressed down and shaken together, and running over, they will give into your bosom. For the same measure which you measure, it will be measured back to you.

God bless,

Gary

M_Oliver

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 10:30:40 PM »

through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.  (Acts 14:22)

Could this part of the Word also be speaking of everyone?  When you think about it God has not told us everything of the Ages to come.  Since we know that ALL will be saved, how do we know that not ALL will at some point enter the Kingdom of God through many tribulations?  This is one of those times that I am humbled by what I do not understand :)

Any Scriptures that kill this thought?

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 10:46:42 PM »

Hello M_Oliver,

These verses from Paul may shed some light on your question;

1Co 3:13  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

1Co 3:14  If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

1Co 3:15  If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

This article also should be of great help in understanding the judgements by fire;

http://bible-truths.com/lake6.html

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe       

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.