bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jannes and Jambres?  (Read 5912 times)

orion77

Jannes and Jambres?
« on: October 12, 2006, 10:02:26 AM »

(2Ti 3:8 LITV)  But in the way Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so also these withstand the truth, men having been corrupted in mind, found worthless concerning the faith.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Jannes and Jambres?  This is the only place in the bible they are mentioned and considering the context of the surrounding verses it seems they represent 'tradition'. 

Just thought I would ask here first, before I begin a search of these two.  Thanks for any help.

God bless,

Gary

hillsbororiver

Re: Jannes and Jambres?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:46:55 AM »

Hi Gary,

According to Jewish oral tradition these were the names of the Egyption magicians who were performing miracles in an attempt to outdo Moses in the Court of Pharoah. (You are right, this is the only time they are mentioned in the bible, but obviously Paul and the people he was speaking to would have known of them)

If you are interested in a deeper study of this here you go, there are links to other writings at this site as well;

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/jannes.html

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

orion77

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 12:35:01 PM »

Thank you Joe,

I went to that site and read of the story of Jannes and Jambres.  Very interesting, it brings to light the true meaning Paul is trying to convey.  As you said, they were Egyptian magicians who withstood Moses. 

As in the article from Ray, the beleif in a literal hell came from the egyptians, and these two even at their death continued to believe and teach that false befief.  Sounds very familiar to what we hear today.  It is truly amazing how tradition can take ahold of many to believe such things.

(2Ti 3:8 LITV)  But in the way Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so also these withstand the truth, men having been corrupted in mind, found worthless concerning the faith.

(2Ti 3:9 LITV)  But they will not go further, for their foolishness will be plain to all, as also that of those became.

(2Ti 3:10 LITV)  But you have closely followed my doctrine, the conduct, the purpose, the faith, the long-suffering, the love, the patient endurance,

(2Ti 3:11 LITV)  the persecutions, the sufferings, such as happened to me in Antioch, in Iconium, in Lystra, what persecutions I bore. And the Lord delivered me out of all.

(2Ti 3:12 LITV)  And, indeed, all desiring to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.

(2Ti 3:13 LITV)  But evil men and pretenders will go forward to worse, leading astray and being led astray.

(2Ti 3:14 LITV)  But you keep on in what you learned and were assured of, knowing from whom you learned,

(2Ti 3:15 LITV)  and that from a babe you know the Holy Scriptures, those being able to make you wise to salvation through belief in Christ Jesus.

If only those who strongly believe in a literal hell would study this example Paul put in the scripture, they would see it's a mistake and totally against the true character of the God we worship.

Thanks again for posting the link, Joe.

God bless,

Gary

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 12:49:06 PM »

You are very welcome Brother,

Joe

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 11:23:53 PM »

Joe, I believe you are right with your answer.

Tradition does place Jannes and Jambres as Egyptian magicians who apposed Moses. 

2 Tim 3:8
  • Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these men oppose the truth–men of

The tradition seems to be based on the following encounter:

Exd 7:11
  • Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts:

Kind of refreshing knowing that something historic has been kept. :)

Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 17 queries.