bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with search  (Read 4691 times)

yashua1970

Help with search
« on: October 13, 2006, 12:10:35 AM »

‘Christ died
for our sins in accordance with the scriptures’ and ‘he was raised
on the third day in accordance with the scriptures’

Does anyone have any other ideas??

1Cor. 15: 3-4; cf. Acts 13:27-9). Which scriptures is Paul referring to?
There is this verse in the prophet Hosea: ‘after two days he will revive
us; on the third day he will raise us up, that we may live before him’
(Hosea 6:2). But the reference here is not to resurrection at all, but
rather to God’s reconciliation with the Jewish people after punishing
them.

Still more curious is the case of a prophecy which I have not found in the Old Testament yet.
Mathew (2.23)"that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, "He shall be called a Nazarene."
I have read other Commentators on this verse but no luck in what they have written.
Does anybody have any idea what prophets Matthew was reffering to?

God bless to all.

buddyjc

Re: Help with search
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 10:12:17 AM »

Note that in Matt. 2:23, the word 'prophets' is in the plural.  To me this indicates that he is not speaking of any specific prophet, but the prophets in general.  To be called a Nazarene meant that you were the lowest of low.  Note what Nathanael says in John 1:46.

Joh 1:46  And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

According to this we can see some of the prophets referring to Christ.

Psa 22:6  But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

Isa 53:2  For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Isa 53:3  He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Isa 53:4  Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Isa 11:1  And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:

The term 'Nazareth' means 'shoot' or 'sprout.'  It was a term of contempt.  I hope this helps a little.

Brian

yashua1970

Re: Help with search
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 09:54:06 PM »

Note that in Matt. 2:23, the word 'prophets' is in the plural.  To me this indicates that he is not speaking of any specific prophet, but the prophets in general.  To be called a Nazarene meant that you were the lowest of low.  Note what Nathanael says in John 1:46.

Joh 1:46  And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

According to this we can see some of the prophets referring to Christ.

Psa 22:6  But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

Isa 53:2  For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Isa 53:3  He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Isa 53:4  Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Isa 11:1  And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:

The term 'Nazareth' means 'shoot' or 'sprout.'  It was a term of contempt.  I hope this helps a little.

Brian

Thanks Brin for the Info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.