bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANGELS  (Read 5015 times)

Kat

ANGELS
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:15:50 PM »

In the scripture there are many references to angels. 

Angel in OT
H4397   
מלאך
mal'âk
mal-awk'
From an unused root meaning to despatch as a deputy; a messenger; specifically of God, that is, an angel (also a prophet, priest or teacher): - ambassador, angel, king, messenger.

Psalms 34:7  The angel of Jehovah encampeth round about them that fear Him, And delivereth them.

2Kings 19:35  And that night the angel of the LORD went out and struck down 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians. And when people arose early in the morning, behold, these were all dead bodies.
(One angel did this, in one night!)

H8136   
שׁנאן
shin'ân
shin-awn'
From H8132; change, that is, repetition: -  X angels.

Psalms 68:17  The chariots of God are twenty thousand, even thousands upon thousands; The Lord is among them, as in Sinai, in the sanctuary.

Angel in NT
G32
ἄγγελος
aggelos
From ἀγγέλλω aggellō (probably derived from G71; compare G34; to bring tidings); a messenger; especially an “angel”; by implication a pastor: - angel, messenger.  (This is the Greek word that ‘angel’ is always translated from in the NT)

Creation of the angels~

Psalms 148:1 Praise Jehovah! Praise Jehovah from the heavens; praise Him in the heights.
2 Praise Him, all His angels; praise Him, all His hosts.
3 Praise Him, sun and moon; praise Him, all stars of light.
4 Praise Him, heavens of heavens, and waters that are above the heavens.
5-6 Let them praise the name of Jehovah; for He commanded, and they were created. He has also settled them forever and ever; He has made a decree which shall not pass away.

Neh 9:6  Thou art Jehovah, even thou alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all things that are thereon, the seas and all that is in them, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

How many angels are there~

Jer 33:22  As the host of the heavens cannot be numbered, nor the sand of the sea measured, so I will multiply the seed of David My servant and the Levites who minister to Me.

Heb 12:22  but ye are come unto mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable hosts of angels,

Dan 7:9-10 Thrones were set up while I was watching, and the Eternal God took his place. His clothing and his hair were white as snow. His throne was a blazing fire with fiery wheels,   A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousands of thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.

1Ki 22:19  And Micaiah said, "Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing beside him on his right hand and on his left;

The angels shouted for joy at the creation of the earth~

Job 38:1-3  “And Jehovah answereth Job out of the whirlwind, and saith: --  Who is this--darkening counsel, By words without knowledge?   Gird, I pray thee, as a man, thy loins, And I ask thee, and cause thou Me to know.
4  Where wast thou when I founded earth? Declare, if thou hast known understanding.
5  Who placed its measures--if thou knowest? Or who hath stretched out upon it a line?
6  On what have its sockets been sunk? Or who hath cast its corner-stone?
7  In the singing together of stars of morning, And all sons of God shout for joy, “ 

The Septuagint, ὅτε ἐγενήθηναι ἄστρα  hote egenēthēnai astra - “ when the stars were made:” the Chaldee, “the stars of the zephyr,” or “morning” - צפר כוכבי. The comparison of a prince, a monarch, or an angel, with a star, is not uncommon. The expression “the morning-stars” is used on account of the beauty of the principal star which, at certain seasons of the year, leads on the morning. It is applied naturally to those angelic beings that are of distinguished glory and rank in heaven. That it refers to the angels, seems to be evident from the connection; and this interpretation is demanded in order to correspond with the phrase “sons of God” in the other member of the verse. (Barnes commentary)

Angels were always near Jesus Christ, while He was on earth.

An angel told Mary and Joseph about Jesus’ conception~

Luke 1:30-31  And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.   And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.

Mat 1:20  But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

Angel announced Jesus’ birth~

Luke 2:10-12  And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people.   For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.   And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger."

After His temptation~

Mat 4:11  Then the Devil left him. And behold, angels came and ministered to Him.

When He was praying at Mount of Olives~

Luke 22:43  And there appeared unto him an angel from heaven, strengthening him.

After His resurrection~

Mat 28:5-6 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye; for I know that ye seek Jesus, who hath been crucified.   He is not here; for he is risen, even as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

Angels speak of His ascension~

Acts 1:10-11  And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes,  and said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven."

All are now subject to Christ~

1Peter 3:22  Christ is now in heaven, where he sits at the right side of God. All angels, authorities, and powers are under his control.

Angels are willing servants of the Father~

Mat 26:53  Do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He shall presently give Me more than twelve legions of angels?  (This verse is profound in many ways)

This was taken from Matt. Henry’s commentary--
First,  'I can pray to my Father, and he shall give Me',  I can pray (parakaleō)- to call to one’s side, call for, summon.   It is a great comfort to God's people, when they are surrounded with enemies, they can pray to him that can do everything.  Christ said, not only that God could send him such a number of angels, but that, he would do it.  But Christ loved us, and would not ask.
Second, 'He shall presently give Me' more than twelve legions of angels, amounting to at least 72,000.  There is an innumerable company of angels.   So if need be a detachment of more than twelve legions might be spared for our service, and yet there would be none missed from around the throne.  This innumerable company of angels are all at the disposal of our heavenly Father, and do His pleasure, (Psa 103:20-21).   
These angelic hosts were ready to come to the assistance of our Lord Jesus in his sufferings, as He said if He had needed or desired it.  They would have been to him as they were to Elisha, chariots of fire, and horses of fire, not only to secure him, but to consume those that set upon him (2 Kings 6:17). 
Our heavenly Father is to be acknowledged in all the services of the heavenly hosts, 'He shall give them me'.  It is a matter of comfort to all, that there is a world of angels always at the service of the Lord Jesus, that can do wonders. He that has the armies of heaven at his beck and call, can do what he pleases among the inhabitants of the earth. 
He shall presently give them me. See how ready His Father was to hear His prayer, and how ready the angels were to observe His orders, they are willing servants.  This is very encouraging to those that know and serve Christ.                  

Guardian angels~

Mat 18:10  "See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Psalms 91:11  For he will give you into the care of his angels to keep you wherever you go.

Acts 27:23-24  For this very night there stood before me an angel (Christ) of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship,  and he said, 'Do not be afraid, Paul…

2Tim 4:17  But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth.

The Lord stood by me (ho de kurios moi parestē), the same Greek phrase is used in both of these verses.

Act 12:7-10  Suddenly an angel from the Lord appeared, and light flashed around in the cell. The angel poked Peter in the side and woke him up. Then he said, "Quick! Get up!" The chains fell off his hands,  and the angel said, "Get dressed and put on your sandals." Peter did what he was told. Then the angel said, "Now put on your coat and follow me."  Peter left with the angel, but he thought everything was only a dream.  They went past the two groups of soldiers, and when they came to the iron gate to the city, it opened by itself. They went out and were going along the street, when all at once the angel disappeared.

Luke 2:9  And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear.
Luke 2:13-15  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,  "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!"   When the angels went away from them into heaven…
The sudden appearance of the angel is the same Greek word ‘ephistēmi  ‘ in Acts 12:7-10 and Luke 2:9.

Acts 5:18-19  They arrested the apostles and put them in the city jail.   But that night an angel from the Lord opened the doors of the jail and led the apostles out. The angel said,

Psalms 103:20  Bless Jehovah, O angels of His, who excel in strength, who do His command, listening to the voice of His Word.

E-mail to Ray on his bibletruths site-----------------------------

I have a question about guardian angels. Does scripture support this concept? What did Jesus mean by "their angels"?

Your brother,
Pat

[Ray Replies]

Dear Pat:
Interesting question!

The phrase "guarding angel" does not appear in Scripture. And, as you probably already know, a much better and more accurate translation for angels is "messengers."
Now then, do messengers "guard" us or anyone? Do they serve other functions at the behest of God?
Yes, they do. Here is a direct statement about just what messengers do:
"But to which of the angels [messengers] said He at any time, Sit on My right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool? Are they [messengers] not ALL MINISTERING SPIRITS, sent forth to MINISTER for THEM WHO SHALL BE HEIRS OF SALVATION?"  (Heb. 1:13-14)
So we all have "ministering spiritual ministers (angels--messengers) from heaven" performing many things in our behalf.

Notice that Jesus said in Matt. 18:10 that these angels "...always behold the face of My Father which is in heaven." The "face" is used in Scripture as that which is most intimate--the face houses the eyes which are the windows of the soul. The angels of heaven are most attentive to the very sincerest wishes of the Father. Next let's look at an example of just such an one actually performing a task on earth which came from the "face of the Father":
"And there appeared unto him [Zascharias--father of John Baptist] an ANGEL of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense... And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that STAND IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD [in the presence of HIS FACE]; and am SENT [they are MINISTERING spirits] to speak unto thee, and to show you these glad tidings" (Luke 1:11 & 19).
Now Gabriel is of pretty high rank, and as such may not be assigned to any one of us personally, but rather is used for the very most important messages. However, they are all ably trained to do their jobs. None has ever spoken to me directly... yet.

Now just because angels do not speak to us audibly and in plain sight, does not preclude that they do no continue ministering unto us to this very day.

Hope this helps your understanding a little better.

God be with you,

Ray
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is so much more on angels,
but this is some of the basics, for me anyway.
Please add to this what you can.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:39:45 AM by Kat »

Deborah-Leigh

Re: ANGELS
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 06:27:01 PM »

HiKat

I can add the caution....

Col 2:18 (AMPL)...Let no one defraud you by acting as an umpire and declaring you unworhy and disqualifying you for the prize, insisting on self-abasement and worship of ANGELS, taking his stand on VISIONS HE CLAIMS HE HAS SEEN, vanily puffed up by his sensuous notions and inflated by his unspiritual thoughts and fleshly concern.... :o

Arcturus :)

Kat

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:08:59 PM »

Hi Arcturus,

The Contemporary English Version is easier for me to understand this verse.

Col 2:18  Don't be cheated by people who make a show of acting humble and who worship angels. They brag about seeing visions. But it is all nonsense, because their minds are filled with selfish desires.
Col 2:19  They are no longer part of Christ, who is the head of the whole body. Christ gives the body its strength, and he uses its joints and muscles to hold it together, as it grows by the power of God.

This study did not in any way advocate showing angels any reverence.
I am not aware of anyone here looking on angels as anything more than God's messengers.

I feel like angels are a part of God's plan,
therefore it is something we should know about.
There are plenty of scripture on them,
so it is one aspect of the creation I will seek understanding of, hence the study I made.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:30:02 AM »

Hi Kat

I can only say what I see and I am painfully aware that I see only in part....1 Cor 13:12 (AMPL) For now we are looking in a mirror that gives only a dim (blurred) reflection [of reality as in a riddle or enigma], but then [when perfection comes] we shall see in reality and face to face! Now I know in part (IMPERFECTLY), but then I shall know and understand fully and clearly, even in the same manner as I have been fully and clearly know and understood [by God].

Here is another slant to your study on Angels that comes from an e-mail respnce by Ray

"Angels can and dosin llPeter 2:4
"For if God spares not SINNING MESSENGERS (angels), but thrusting them into the gloomy caverns of Tartarus, gives them up to be kept for chastening judging..."

Angels need salvation just as mankind does...."

Also, I do not have The Contemporary English Version....yet...I hope!

Arcturus :)

Kat

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 01:00:04 PM »

Hi Arcturus,

Thanks for the input.
You are so right,
Satan and his angels will be cast into the lake of fire,
to be purged and cleansed.
I limited my study to keep it from being any longer,
but this is a good point.

Mat 25:41  "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Rev 20:10  and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night--to the ages of the ages.

I am quick to realize how little I know.
That is why I study and pray for understanding.

Jam 1:5  But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and with no reproach, and it shall be given to him.

There are many Bible versions available on E-Sword.
If you do not have it, you can get it free at e-sword.com  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 17 queries.