bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Slaves to Sin  (Read 16738 times)

hillsbororiver

Slaves to Sin
« on: October 14, 2006, 12:48:15 PM »

This morning I woke up thinking about how Jesus and the Father are two entities of One Mind and how believers are of two minds in one entity.

Joh 10:30  I and my Father are one.

Rom 7:14  For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Believers have the Mind of Christ warring against the carnal mind of the beast within, this struggle with the bondage to sin we were created with underlines the total lack of free will that the denominations say humanty has;

Rom 6:16  Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom 6:17  But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Rom 6:18  Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Rom 6:19  I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

This tug of war between the carnal nature and the Spirit of Christ within us ultimately will make us spiritually stronger but I can say from experience that weariness also rears its head at times, making it difficult to connect with others even as they go through the same type of trials within themselves. I believe this weariness serves a noble purpose as it inspires us to shut off the outside influences to seek rest within Him, giving us the strength to move forward in our spiritual walk. 

Pro 3:11  My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:

Remembering the promises of rest and replenishment in Him will help us through through these times;

Jer 31:25  For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.

Jer 31:26  Upon this I awaked, and beheld; and my sleep was sweet unto me.

Mat 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

It is not our reality or destiny to be "free" in the strict sense of the word, we can have the freedom of no longer being in bondage to sin but when we are called to our Lord we are to become slaves to righteousness which is Him living in us. I find it is in those private moments with Him when experiencing the feeling of pure peace and love, when He reveals Himself more abundantly and I get a taste of what is to come, and that gives me the strength to continue the race.

Heb 12:1  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Heb 12:2  Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Heb 12:3  For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

Heb 12:4  Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Heb 12:5  And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:

Heb 12:6  For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

Heb 12:7  If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

Heb 12:8  But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye ******** and not sons.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 11:44:28 PM by hillsbororiver »

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Slaves to Sin
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 01:07:19 PM »

Hi Joe,

Once again, the Lord has blessed you with the ability to uplift and encourage through your insights.  I woke up this morning feeling the need to "beg" the Lord to help me understand those things that are " idols of my heart" and to help me overcome them.  I do not want the "desires of my heart" to be the things of this world.  I still have a ways to go, but I have faith that the Lord is purifying this old heart.

Love, peace, and His grace to you,

Rene

orion77

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 10:45:35 PM »

Thanks for sharing those thoughts and scriptures, Joe.

(Heb 12:1 LITV)  So therefore we also, having so great a cloud of witnesses lying around us, having laid aside every weight and the easily surrounding sin, through patience let us also run the race set before us,

(Heb 12:2 LITV)  looking to the Author and Finisher of our faith, Jesus, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, "and sat down at the right" of the throne of God. Psa. 110:1

(Heb 12:3 LITV)  For consider Him who had endured such gainsaying of sinners against Himself, that you do not grow weary, fainting in your souls.

The book of Hebrews is great reading and studying.  The witnesses have laid aside every weight and easily surrounding sin, through patience let us run the race.  If you have read and studied Hebrews, you know it is talking much about the transition from the law to grace.  The law is physical rituals and rites that bring about righteousness, but none of us can uphold the law, only Christ.  The spritual grace by the Spirit is all about what Christ does inside of us, not what we do outside for Him.  This is the difference between the law of the natural and the law of the spiritual. 

The author and finisher of our faith sat down at the right hand of God.  This is who we must look to, not to ourselves as the law proclaims.  The law always points to things we must do, in order to be righteous, but the law of Christ, the Spiritual, always points to things that Jesus does that makes us righteous.  This is the way I see the difference, now.

Getting to that point in our faith, makes the yoke light, and takes it off our own shoulders.  We are loved by more than we can imagine.

God bless,

Gary

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 08:44:53 AM »

Before He was in me He was with me. Before I was converted I was blind...

We are not worms struggling in a woven prison we weave around ourselves before we emerge as butterflies. We are Gods called...we are the sinners who while yet we were sinning He died for us...we are His plan in motion moving toward his Will for all....through His love and mercy and grace and unmeritted favor...

with peace, blessing and a thankful heart....

Arcturus :)

orion77

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 09:58:18 AM »

(Rom 8:1 LITV)  There is therefore now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to flesh, but according to Spirit.

(Rom 8:2 LITV)  For the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus set me free from the law of sin and of death.

(Rom 4:6 LITV)  Even as also David says of the blessedness of the man to whom God counts righteousness apart from works:

(Rom 4:7 LITV)  "Blessed are those whose lawlessnesses are forgiven, and whose sins are covered;

(Rom 4:8 LITV)  blessed the man to whom the Lord will in no way charge sin." LXX-Psa. 31:1, 2; MT-Psa. 32:1, 2

(Rom 4:9 LITV)  Is this blessedness then on the circumcision, or also on the uncircumcision? For we say the faith "was counted to Abraham for righteousness." Gen. 15:6

(Rom 4:10 LITV)  How then was it counted? Being in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision!

(Rom 4:11 LITV)  And he received a sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness of faith while in uncircumcision, for him to be a father of those believing through uncircumcision, for righteousness to be counted to them also,

(Rom 4:12 LITV)  and a father of circumcision to those not of circumcision only, but also to those walking in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham during uncircumcision.

(Rom 4:13 LITV)  For the promise was not through Law to Abraham, or to his seed, for him to be the heir of the world, but through a righteousness of faith.

(Rom 4:14 LITV)  For if those of Law are heirs, faith has been made of no effect, and the promise has been annulled.

(Rom 4:15 LITV)  For the Law works out wrath; for where no law is, neither is transgression.

Now being slaves of righteousness through the faith of Abraham, we are free of sin.  Here is an excellent verse that explains that faith:

(Rom 4:17 LITV)  according as it has been written, "I have appointed you a father of many nations;" before God, whom he believed, the One making the dead live, and calling the things that are not as if they were. Gen. 17:5

God bless,

Gary

YellowStone

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 02:07:10 PM »

Gary, they are indeed wonderful scriptures and I thank you for posting them.

You wrote: "Now being slaves of righteousness through the faith of Abraham, we are free of sin."

By no means is this an attack on you, rather I am merely seeking clarification.

I'm not sure if I would go as far as to make that conection. Here's why:

Rom 8:2
  • For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Here, Paul is not saying (my understanding only) that he no longer sins (free from sin) becasue that would totally contradict his preceding words:

Rom 7:23 
  • But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Rom 7:25 
  • I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

I hope you understand where I am going here; although I am free from the law of sin, for Christ as freed me from the chains ofthe law of sin and death, I like Paul still wrestle every moment with the sin that is in my body. I cannot but sin, for my body is yet carnal (Rom 7:14.)

We are truly blessed just as Paul and David write:

Rom 4:6-8 (NIV)
verse 6
  • David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

verse 7
  • “Blessed are they
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.

verse 8
  • Blessed is the man
    whose sin the Lord will never count against him.”*
    [li]

Praise be to God who has removed my accountability of sin through the death of his Son, Jesus Christ.[/li]
Does this make sense? :)

May the love of God continue to bless you.

Darren
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 02:08:04 PM by YellowStone »

orion77

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 09:57:49 PM »

Thank you Darren, improper use of the words there on my part.  I definetly do not want to imply that I am without sin.  God knows the truth. 

(Rom 5:13 LITV)  For sin was in the world until Law, but sin is not charged where there is no law;

God bless,

Gary

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 02:51:28 PM »

Hi Joe,

Once again, the Lord has blessed you with the ability to uplift and encourage through your insights.  I woke up this morning feeling the need to "beg" the Lord to help me understand those things that are " idols of my heart" and to help me overcome them.  I do not want the "desires of my heart" to be the things of this world.  I still have a ways to go, but I have faith that the Lord is purifying this old heart.

Love, peace, and His grace to you,

Rene

Thank you Rene,

When I receive what I believe to be an inspiration or another piece of treasure the first thing I want to do is share it with my brothers and sisters not as a teacher but as a member of His Body who is hoping others will not only perhaps gain more understanding but also add to my understanding. Even more importantly if I have gone off track or presented only confusion or worse I pray the brethren will help to set me on the right path.

Thank you Gary and Darren for your comments and scripture, I appreciate all the times you both have contributed to my thoughts, understanding or questions and for the way you have His Word at the ready in your responses.

His Peace to you,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 10:37:57 PM »

A while back I did not have a clue to what Jesus was saying in the following verses even though at first glance it would appear to be plain as day. I thought I could most definitely love the things in the world and also love the Lord and what he stood for.

It was not until the concept of dying to oneself daily and decreasing so He will increase became a real life experience did these verses really come alive;

Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.3126

G3126
μαμμωνᾶς
mammōnas
mam-mo-nas'
Of Chaldee origin (confidence, that is, figuratively wealth, personified); mammonas, that is, avarice (deified): -mammon.

From Webster's

Main Entry:   avarice
Part of Speech:   noun
Definition:   excessive or insatiable desire or greed; cupidity
Etymology:   Latin avere 'to covet'

Again we are being referred to as "servants" either to our sin nature or His Spirit,

Luk 16:13  No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

As you can see by the definitions above, mammon represents not only money, but the "insatiable desire and greed" of the carnal beastly nature, never truly at rest, never quite satisfied. It was only recently that I really came to understand this, the more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

Joe

Patrick

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 11:41:42 PM »

Thanks, Joe.
What you speak of, excessive or insatiable desire, is exactly what I am struggling with in regards to the racing.
I eat, breath, and sleep motorcycle racing; and it shows in my Spiritual walk.

Kat

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 11:30:37 AM »

Hi Joe,

I am following you on this.
Another aspect of what Matt. 6:24 is saying, as I see it, is this vsese.

Joh 3:30  "He must increase, but I must decrease."

This is harder to do than it seems.
I have to always remind myself, of where all my understanding is coming from.
I really can't take credit for any of it, tho I find myself wanting to at times.
It seems I have to lower myself to hear Him.
If I am trying to assert myself,
then I lost all creditability.
It is a constant struggle against self.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 04:14:31 PM »

Patrick and Kat,

You both are so right about that, how our idols of the heart sneak right in and attempt to take us back to where we really don't want to be, it is usually a subtle entry and then before we realize it the beast is back on the throne.

Patrick, you make your living with motorcycles, in a highly competitive field, what happens when you lose your technological edge or your motivation? You can't afford to, right? To be in a profession where you really love what you are doing is a gift from God at least from my perspective. I have a good job, I have been blessed in many ways at many times by Him, He has brought me further along professionally than anyone with my background has even a right to fantasize about. On the other hand I have never in my life had a job I can say I loved, that I felt a need to do, they have all bored me in different ways in different degrees. To even take it another step further I can't even tell you what I would want to do if I could choose to do anything at all in any field or profession, He has yet to reveal that to me.

So Patrick I would say that being sincerely thankful to Him, that He gave you a talent and revealed that talent to you so you could make a living with it is a huge blessing. This gift He gave you can be a step toward being a temperate example to others, living in this world as we must at this time but not being of this world, not having an ego because you are very good at what you do in a highly competetive business but grateful that He granted you the ability and blessed your efforts in that field. No telling what your humble example could provide to those around you.

I have always admired even envied those who knew exactly what they were interested in doing to make a living, now I am well into middle age and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Well, let me clarify that statement, I do very much want to be counted among His faithful, His chosen, but that is His call not mine.

Kat, your experience is so similiar to mine, once I get a new revelation or level of understanding my joy can sometimes be tainted with pride, then He knocks me back down, humbles my wretched soul, I seek His forgiveness so I can get up and back into the race. This all really can tie in with Tim's topic "Come to the Cross" where he (Tim) inquires about Matthew 10:38, and what it means to take up His cross.

I also can relate to Paul who compares this experience to (boxing in some translations) fighting and running in a race, both very physical and demanding enterprises, you must be well trained, disciplined, fit and ready (right Patrick?) if you hope to win the prize.

1Co 9:24  Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

1Co 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

1Co 9:26  I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

Joe

gmik

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 04:31:06 PM »

Joe, I can relate to the "what do I want to be when I grow up" mind set. I have taught school for over 20 years and still wonder.  In some of my more spiritual phases I have looked at my classes as a ministry and try to help my children in His name.  Then reality usually sets in and I am mad, angry, disappointd in certain students and I actually "forget" about the Lord during school hours.  I run on auto-pilot.

I am off school for a few weeks after my anemia scare and I love it.  I want to be retired and living on the beach in Florida.  I don't want to do anything! No responsibilities, no appointments, no housecleaning or cooking.  I like lazing around, being on the forum, reading or listening to Ray, and that is about all.  Maybe this has something to do with having no energy lately but I am worried it is some kind of "idol of the heart".

I also am envious of others.  Why can't I have a bigger, house, car, budget, yada yada...
Is this just me, and how God made me to be?  Is there something I can do about it or am I stuck this way till God decides to change me?  How much is me, how much is Him??

Oh, sorry I got off on me...not sure why....thanks for listening!

gena

Patrick

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 06:05:48 PM »

Thanks for the encouraging words, Joe. However, I must explain something.
The racing is not my "source of income"; my source of income is oil & gas well royalties in West TX. I was a Petroleum Engineer.
The racing is a hobby for everyone on our team; everyone but me has a full time job. Yes, all of our expenses are paid and the owner gives us some "lunch money."

I agree with you in regards to God giving me the talent and financial means to take off whenever I want to. But, the desire (at the pro level of racing) is fading fast. I really don't know if I'll be doing this next year. I'm tired of traveling (over 50,000 air miles this year).
I have known exactly, since the age of 12, what I wanted to be when I grew up; 35 years later I am still trying to reach that goal. After the last Mobile conference, I asked myself; why are you still struggling to reach that goal and spending every spare dime you have? Don't you think if your desire was a part of God's will for you, you would have reached that goal by now?
My answer to the first question was "because you are a stubborn-hard headed individual" that wants to prove to all of my family that "I can make it in the racing world."
My answer to the second question was maybe. MAYBE?

Living in this world, but not being of this world is an area I struggle with daily. The racing atmosphere is very ugly (lying, stealing, cursing, fighting, adultery, drugs, etc.) at times and sometimes I just want to be out of it. I know that stuff happens in all areas, but do I continue to subject myself to that when I have a choice to get away from it or do I try and be a Light to those folks?
I have laid everything out before God, we'll see what happens.

Thanks again, Joe.
See you in a few weeks at Gainesville.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 09:46:05 PM »

Hi Patrick,

How you could choose motorcycle racing over researching the behavior of fluids in permeable geologic formations is beyond me!  ;)

I am sorry for the assumption I made, but I am very familiar with the baggage that comes with competing or even working with highly motivated testosterone fueled (among other things) guys in a highly measurable environment. At first exhilerating then fading to weariness at some point, sometimes physically (not too mention mentally) it can drain one's spirit. I never had the enduring passion for weightlifting and martial arts that some of my contemporaries had, but between the ages of 23 until my early 30's I would compete on and off, sometimes obsessively and at other times not at at all. I did not have that burning desire to be the very best at it like a true champion or even a top professional needs to have.

He has given you this gift for a reason. It certainly is not a given as to when and where He will use you though, it is always on His time and not ours, we are just told "be ready."

Recognizing His will in some situations is difficult for me as well, sometimes I believe He just leads us along without giving us any indication what is in store along the way, refining our spirit as the trials show themselves in our steps. That I believe is why we are constantly being admonished to be on guard, be aware so the devil doesn't have us for lunch. For me this carnal nature is just beneath the surface, ready to grab the controls when I least expect it.

Eph 6:11  Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Eph 6:12  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Eph 6:13  Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day and having done all, to stand.

Well Brother, I am looking forward to seeing you in Gainesville on Nov. 4 for the races, I haven't been to one since Daytona back in the 90's I am taking along a gear head engineer type friend along, we are psyched!

Thanks again and God Bless,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 10:08:25 PM »

Joe, I can relate to the "what do I want to be when I grow up" mind set. I have taught school for over 20 years and still wonder.  In some of my more spiritual phases I have looked at my classes as a ministry and try to help my children in His name.  Then reality usually sets in and I am mad, angry, disappointd in certain students and I actually "forget" about the Lord during school hours.  I run on auto-pilot.

I am off school for a few weeks after my anemia scare and I love it.  I want to be retired and living on the beach in Florida.  I don't want to do anything! No responsibilities, no appointments, no housecleaning or cooking.  I like lazing around, being on the forum, reading or listening to Ray, and that is about all.  Maybe this has something to do with having no energy lately but I am worried it is some kind of "idol of the heart".

I also am envious of others.  Why can't I have a bigger, house, car, budget, yada yada...
Is this just me, and how God made me to be?  Is there something I can do about it or am I stuck this way till God decides to change me?  How much is me, how much is Him??

Oh, sorry I got off on me...not sure why....thanks for listening!

gena

Gena,

Very normal thoughts........ Just keep seeking His Wisdom and the other things will take care of themselves.

I can certainly relate to wanting to be in the position where I could study and fellowship whenever I wanted, even traveling to Mobile on a whim to attend Ray's monthly bible study. Having enough money to donate as much as I like and perhaps running a charity and not having to perform in a sometimes mundane job.

Well, He doesn't seem to have that in His plan for me now, so I am happy to be where He has me, it is for my own best interest, His will, not mine.

His Peace to you Sister,

Joe   

gmik

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 12:35:52 AM »

Thanks Joe! Good Advice 8)
gena

hillsbororiver

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »

Hi Sorin,

We as believers definitely have a dual mindset, warring within us as we continue in this journey, it really has surprised me that so many others here either don't see it, or feel it, or want to discuss it.

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 06:35:41 PM »

Hello Joe

...a wonderful, Godly challenge Joe!

Do I see it. Yes I believe I do. Do I feel it. Yes I believe I painfully at times do too! Do I want to discuss it....I believe I am only JUST learning How to! ...with ample example from Paul the Apostle, some members on this Forum who set a wonderful example of patience, kindness and longsuffering and of course Ray, who I thoroughly enjoy for his ability to REFUTE his detractors...I have a long way to go and I thank God He is teaching and training me....

Arcturus  :) in training
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 06:37:21 PM by Arcturus »

Andy_MI

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 07:09:19 PM »

Hi Joe,

I was going to start a thread about "walking in the spirit" but I think it goes right along with this thread.  I've been pondering deeply what exactally it means to "walk in the spirit."  I clearly see within me a division of the desires of my flesh against the desire to be completely in the spirit.  I'm struggling to try and understand if there is a "formula" or something that makes it a little easier for me to put away the flesh totally.  It's almost comparable to climbing up a ladder and being knocked back off. I feel like I'm double minded and I feel this is not pleasing to the Lord.  Here's what the scripture says and I'm trying to let this sink in.

Gal 5:16-26 KJ2000
(16)  This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
(17)  For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that you cannot do the things that you would.
(18)  But if you be led of the Spirit, you are not under the law.
(19)  Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, impurity, licentiousness,
(20)  Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, strife, jealousy, wrath, selfishness, divisions, heresies,
(21)  Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and such like: of which I tell you beforehand, as I have also told you in time past, that they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
(22)  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
(23)  Meekness, self-control: against such there is no law.
(24)  And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
(25)  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
(26)  Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

As simple as these verses appear, I still am struggling with understanding exactally how this is done.

I also see another key to this "formula" found in this verse:

Gal 5:14 KJ2000
(14)  For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

I feel like I'm spinning my tires and getting nowhere. 

Peace,

Andy

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.