bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gravity  (Read 11993 times)

hillsbororiver

Gravity
« on: March 28, 2006, 09:43:29 PM »

I know Eutychus (Chuck) has expressed interest in some scientific theories as have I, although the training in physics or micro biology or any discipline has been less than limited for me I do enjoy science, I enjoy reading books on almost any subject relating to it.

I am fascinated by how the world kneels at the alter of science as if it is the final word even though the premises that were once thought to be absolute are found out to be over time, flawed.

Ptolemy's gravity had objects descending at a speed relative to weight, Newton disproved that theory after it was accepted as conventional wisdom for more than a millenium.

When I was in the early part of my elementary school career early 60's our science book stated the universe was infinite and always existed. The bible's version of it being spoken into existence was ridiculed but in a decade or so the Big Bang Theory gained prominence which in reality is much closer to the bible version than always there, never ends.

There is a conventional wisdom existing now that is originally from Einstein that traveling faster than light is impossible as the mass of the object would stretch and expand to the point of oblivion. So at this point in time the speed of light is the max, but is it? What about the speed of gravity? What if the sun just disappeared, exploded, imploded, etc. but the light went out, the heat disipated and it vanished. How long would it be before we on earth would see everything darken, feel the cold? About 8 1/2 minutes or so. Ok, now how long would it take for the earth to fly out of it's orbit and begin to traject into a straight line? Immediately. So, is the speed of light the limit, or is there something else?

Joe

P.S. Don't believe for a second I was smart enough to come up with this on my own, I was perusing another book and thought it was very interesting.

Sorin

Gravity
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »

Oh, for a second there I thought you were smart enough to come up with that on your own there Joe. :wink:

hillsbororiver

Gravity
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 10:12:35 PM »

Sorin, I hope I haven't severely trashed my standing with you! :-k

Joe

Sorin

Gravity
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:20:53 PM »

Quote from: hillsbororiver

Joe

No, not at all. I was just messin' with ya. :)

shibboleth

Gravity
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 10:32:01 PM »

My brain doesn't work well in science or math. But I do appreciate all those who have that gift. I have been to a number of Creation Science seminars and one thing that I find interesting about evolution is they never explain how an animal can survive in its transitory stages. In other words, how does a bird, that is turning into an alligator, live with a wing and a foot? what does this bizarre creature eat? It can't fly and it can't walk. I saw a picture of this creature and it just made me laugh that people can believe anything as long as it's not God.
I always liked the story about the emperor who had no clothes. It just shows how gullible people are and how willing they are to let the "experts" think for them.
I hope more of you science people can help us with some of these things.

hillsbororiver

Gravity
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 10:53:04 PM »

Quote from: Sorin

Joe

No, not at all. I was just messin' with ya. :)
\:D/

Mickyd

Gravity
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 11:01:22 PM »

Light has mass and is effected by gravity. Light exsist as both a partical and a wave. There are theories that say that it is a possibility that the same may be true of gravity.

As far as faster than light travel....I think it is a possibility. However, I believe that it will be many many many years before we ever discover how to do it in this world.

hillsbororiver

Gravity
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 11:05:53 PM »

Quote from: shibboleth
My brain doesn't work well in science or math. But I do appreciate all those who have that gift. I have been to a number of Creation Science seminars and one thing that I find interesting about evolution is they never explain how an animal can survive in its transitory stages. In other words, how does a bird, that is turning into an alligator, live with a wing and a foot? what does this bizarre creature eat? It can't fly and it can't walk. I saw a picture of this creature and it just made me laugh that people can believe anything as long as it's not God.
I always liked the story about the emperor who had no clothes. It just shows how gullible people are and how willing they are to let the "experts" think for them.
I hope more of you science people can help us with some of these things.

Hi Debra, I remember reading a book a while back that disputed evolution and what the author termed "junk science" due to the fact that not one part of the theory could be proven in a lab setting.

He went on to say that when a frog turns into a prince in a flash, it is a fairy tale but if a frog turns into a prince through the muddy waters of billions of years it is science. The incalculable thought of billions of years is a bit much for the human mind to comprehend and has the power to confuse any scenario into being plausable.

Where in nature have we seen positive mutations, more commonly referred to as birth defects? When someone is born with an extra finger or something it generally does not function properly, also most of the birth defects are not transferable to the subsequent generations although there are cases of genetic transfer of some conditions or diseases being transferred to offspring, but these cases do not show an upward mobility or an improvement of the species.

We can also get into the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics or the Law of Entropy.........nah, that can wait.

Joe

mcmiller

Speed fo Gravity
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 12:08:34 PM »

Hello Joe,
Interesting question.
As an engineer in the scientific community I rely on the "Laws of Physics" or better stated "Cause and effect" to do my work.  One of the basic precepts of physics is that matter cannot be created or destroyed, but only converted into energy.  Gravity is a function of mass, the more the mass, the more the gravity.  In order for any object to lose all gravity it would have to lose all mass.  What your question proposes is that if an object would lose all gravity in an instant, how long would it take for the earth to feel the effect?  If a large amount of the mass of the sun was instantly be converted into energy, which it does all the time by the way, and the sun exploded, the explosion would send chunks of mass scattering in all directions at some finite velocity less than the speed of light.  The earth would then be essentially pulled in many directions simultaneously toward each of the sun fragments until all these pieces were so far away that they had no effect on the earth anymore.  Of course this is all academic since if the sun blew up it would take the earth with it.  The only way the sun could ever lose all its mass instantly is if God performed a miracle, which I define as sovereignly breaking the connection between cause and effect, and just spoke the sun out of existance.

I hope this helps a little, let me know if I can shed any more light on this (pun intended)

Mark

mcmiller

Gravity Correction
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 12:40:00 PM »

Joe,
In my previous post I made the statement that matter can be converted into energy.  Although this can be observed in the macro world, it is not true in the micro world.  In truth, in any process, mass in conserved and energy is conserved.  What we observe is the conversion of one type of matter into another and the conversion of one type of energy into another, but there is still the same amount of mass as before as well as the same amount of energy.

Gravity is an interesting subject, and is being studied in depth by the scientific community with huge experiments.  What is being searched for is the Graviton.  Current theory is that gravity acts like a wave and travels at the speed of light.

Mark

hillsbororiver

Re: Gravity Correction
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 01:57:01 PM »

Quote from: mcmiller
Joe,
In my previous post I made the statement that matter can be converted into energy.  Although this can be observed in the macro world, it is not true in the micro world.  In truth, in any process, mass in conserved and energy is conserved.  What we observe is the conversion of one type of matter into another and the conversion of one type of energy into another, but there is still the same amount of mass as before as well as the same amount of energy.

Gravity is an interesting subject, and is being studied in depth by the scientific community with huge experiments.  What is being searched for is the Graviton.  Current theory is that gravity acts like a wave and travels at the speed of light.

Mark

Mark, thank you for the responses, I defer to your obviously deeper understanding of the subject matter as I am strictly an amateur with an interest in all of His creation.

Back to my original question, since the pros and cons of traveling at the speed of light for mankind is to this point only theory and again not provable in lab conditions let me pose my original question as strictly hypothetical, if the sun disappeared without expolding but retracted or became a Quasar or black hole you are saying the effect would be an 8 1/2 minute delay and not instantanious? That the effect of the sun's former gravity would still effect the outer planets for months and not disturb their orbits?

Please forgive my neophyte terminology or analogies and I do appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Joe

eutychus

Gravity
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 02:07:10 PM »

the reason time travel is impossible is because time is how God brings about his purpose :wink:

the concept of a being NOT bound by time OR space is mind boggling.

cool thread, Jesus is master scientist :wink:

eutychus

mcmiller

Gravity
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 02:15:30 PM »

Joe,
The only scientific answer I can give at this time is that according to "current theory" is that it would take as long for the gravity to abate as it would take for the light to cease.  Scientists continue to hold to the theory that nothing in the observable physical realm travels faster than light.  The current theories of special and general relativity are established based on this assumption.  

Quasars and black holes are very massive objects and have so much gravity that even light cannot escape.  The real problem in trying to establish an answer to your question is how to remove an object with gravity instantly.  It would take infinite energy to to do so.

Consider this: according to relativity theory, the faster an object travels, the more massive it becomes and time proceeds more slowly for the object as observed from the outside.  If I could travel at the speed of light, time would appear normal for me but in actuality it would stop. What that would mean is that I could travel between two distant objects in zero time.  That would mean I would be in both places at the same time, or essentially everywhere at once.  Sounds like God.

Mark

mcmiller

Time Travel
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 02:28:31 PM »

Time travel -

Forward is easy, we are doing it right now.

Backwards I believe is not possible because it would violate the conservation of mass and energy.  If I could travel backwards to yesterday, my yesterday self would be there and my today self would also be there at the same time.  This would add my current mass to yesterday thus increasing the mass of the universe just a bit.  Not allowed by current theory.  If I sent 1000 gallons of gasoline backwards to yesterday it would increase the energy of the universe.  Also not permitted, but it sure would solve the energy crisis.

Mark

Sorin

Gravity
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 02:29:13 PM »

That would mean I would be in both places at the same time, or essentially everywhere at once. Sounds like God.

Amazing!!    :shock:

So that's how God does it.   :-k

eutychus

Re: Time Travel
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 02:41:22 PM »

Time travel -

Forward is easy, we are doing it right now.

Backwards I believe is not possible because it would violate the conservation of mass and energy.  If I could travel backwards to yesterday, my yesterday self would be there and my today self would also be there at the same time.  This would add my current mass to yesterday thus increasing the mass of the universe just a bit.  Not allowed by current theory.  If I sent 1000 gallons of gasoline backwards to yesterday it would increase the energy of the universe.  Also not permitted, but it sure would solve the energy crisis.

Mark

thats cool i love this type of stuff.

you see the movie, "freqency" ?

no time travel mass wise but radio waves transmitted  30 yr span of time.

cool movie

mcmiller

Gravity
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 03:11:18 PM »

Hello Sorin,

As far as I'm concerned, God does what He does because He is God and it is His nature.

He is by nature:
Eternal
All powerful
All knowing
Everywhere
Self Existant
In control
Wise beyond measure
Unlimited
LOVE
etc., etc.

Mark

hillsbororiver

Gravity
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 03:24:22 PM »

Consider this: according to relativity theory, the faster an object travels, the more massive it becomes and time proceeds more slowly for the object as observed from the outside.  If I could travel at the speed of light, time would appear normal for me but in actuality it would stop. What that would mean is that I could travel between two distant objects in zero time.  That would mean I would be in both places at the same time, or essentially everywhere at once.  Sounds like God.

Mark

If you left earth traveling to a planet 1 million light years away at the speed of light, wouldn't it be that you would arrive at your destination the same age as you left physically, but whatever was left of earth would be a million years older?

eutychus

Gravity
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 03:27:12 PM »

Mark

If you left earth traveling to a planet 1 million light years away at the speed of light, wouldn't it be that you would arrive at your destination the same age as you left physically, but whatever was left of earth would be a million years older?

it would take a million yrs to reach a planet a million light yrs away, even if you travelled at the speed of light ;-]

and the planet you reach would be a million yrs older than when you left!!

what we see is not what is there.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 16 queries.