bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeing our Brethren  (Read 5576 times)

hillsbororiver

Seeing our Brethren
« on: October 18, 2006, 04:21:57 PM »

So many things can become clearer when we take the scales off of our eyes in regard to our brothers and sisters, I am not speaking of only the called or the chosen but unbelievers as well. Having empathy for for those who are yet on the milk of the Word, or those unbelievers who are on a journey with Him unaware of the forces, powers and principalities that dominate the situations they find themselves in each and every day of their lives.

Many or most of humanity hasn't a clue of what God's ultimate plan is, or the role Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour has in the lives of believers or the love He has for unbelievers and that His Sacrifice covers everyone, as Ray repeats over and over Jesus will not fail in His Father's plan of redemption for all creation.

The denominations seem to be content with preaching Jesus as a man, the wonderful works He did in the flesh and of course His death on the cross, the resurrection becomes very important at Easter but it all seems to stop at that point. Where are the sermons on Christ living in His people, alive and doing greater works now than when He was walking the earth as a man? Is it ever mentioned that He will displace the carnality and replace it with His Spirit? That rituals, symbols, recitations and the like are nothing to God, only the complete sacrifice of our ego and a heart's desire to do His will has any meaning at all.

It now amazes me when I hear about praying for this material thing or that material thing as if God will specially intercede or change His plan to give us the idols of our hearts, the very things that keep us separated from experiencing true Spiritual Life.

When we begin to receive the joy that is Him living in us we should also see the value of every other human being, some people don't make it very easy to love them but the Lord saw fit to sacrifice Himself for them as well, God has planned for that person too, set his path and the circumstances that comprise his life on earth, there is a purpose to it although we or the person themself has really no idea why things are a certain way, only He knows. That is where faith and being true to the admonitions of His Word come in, we should first see all our brothers and sisters as a valuable creation, because they are valuable to God. When dealing with difficult situations with our brethren that require discernment or judgement we should always prayerfully consult His Word for guidance, remember the answer to Soloman's prayer?

Ki 3:9  Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

1Ki 3:10  And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.

1Ki 3:11  And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;

So we are admonished to correct our brothers and sisters in the spirit of love, it is doing them a disservice to just let false doctrines live in their hearts in the name of that same spirit.

Rom 15:14  And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

2Th 3:15  Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

The world is so wrapped up in the flesh, in what can be seen, heard, felt, through the senses, the church is also still in this condition we are all instructed to look past these things and to the spiritual things of God, us in Christ, and Christ in us. The Father sees us in Christ and we are clean, free from sin, if we see Christ in our brethren than He truly lives in us.

This chapter from 2 Corinthians 5 got me started today, here is verse 16 in a few translations;

(King James Version)

2 Cor 5:16  Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

(Amplified Bible)

2 Cor 5:16  Consequently, from now on we estimate and regard no one from a [purely] human point of view [in terms of natural standards of value]. [No] even though we once did estimate Christ from a human viewpoint and as a man, yet now [we have such knowledge of Him that] we know Him no longer [in terms of the flesh].

(The Message)

2 Corinthians 5:16-20 Because of this decision we don't evaluate people by what they have or how they look. We looked at the Messiah that way once and got it all wrong, as you know. We certainly don't look at him that way anymore. Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it! All this comes from the God who settled the relationship between us and him, and then called us to settle our relationships with each other. God put the world square with himself through the Messiah, giving the world a fresh start by offering forgiveness of sins. God has given us the task of telling everyone what he is doing. We're Christ's representatives. God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter into God's work of making things right between them. We're speaking for Christ himself now: Become friends with God; he's already a friend with you.

I did it again, sorry for the length, I did not intend for this to be so long when I started.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

brothertoall

Re: Seeing our Brethren
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:28:49 PM »

Joe,

That was very good. That is my desire that Christ would be seen in me by those I come in contact with everyday. Sometimes just a hello, opening the door for someone,even just a smile or offering some help does not seem to be very popular these days.

We had a gentleman come to my place of employment for a job interview. I could tell this man was very nervous so I asked if he was here for an interview. he said yes I am and I hate interviews. I started talking to him and assured him that the big boss was a good man and that there would be no problems and that he would do fine. We started talking and it seemed as if he was starting to relax a bit. Well after the interview i asked the big boss who got the job and it ended up being that gentleman I had been talking to.

Maybe it does not sound like much but I will have to say I felt concerned for him and his being nervous and really in my heart I wanted to help this man feel not so afraid. Is that Christ working in and through me? I certianly hope so.

Thank you Joe,

brothertoall

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:58:37 PM »

Dear Brothertoall,

Yes! That is exactly what we are to be doing, it is the things we do minute by minute not waiting for some huge heroic moment (although that may be required at some point for some) but how we treat those who interact with us every day, the strangers, the folks who have no influence over the direction of our careers or the people who are in no position to reward us.

As Jesus tells us;

Luk 6:31  And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

You were doing the Lord's work in that act of empathy and kindness putting this man's spirit at ease, there is no telling how much he really needs the job and how much you were a help in him obtaining it.

Thank you for the wonderful post.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

Layla

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:44:57 PM »

Hi Joe - I agree with brothertoall - this is an excellent post.  It's interesting, but just today I was reading Watchman Nee's commentary on Ministry to the House and to the Lord.  He writes:

Please bear with me when I say that all work which is truly spiritual is done in the presence of God.  If you really work in God's presence, when you come into the presence of men, they will respond.

In order to exhibit love in ministering to men, we must first be ministering to God.  We have been commissioned by Jesus Christ to proclaim the gospel, but in order to do it  with any effectiveness, it must Christ in you doing it and this is received when we minister to the Lord.  As a further illustration he writes:

"Luke 17:7-10 tells us clearly what the Lord is after.  There are two kinds of work referred to here - plowing the field and tending the flock - both very important occupations, yet the Lord says that even when a servant returns from such work, he is expected to provide for his master's satisfaction before sitting down to enjoy his own food.  When we have returned from our toil in the field, we are apt to muse complacently on the much work we have accomplished, but the Lord would say: "Gird yourself and give Me to eat." He requires ministry to Himself.  We may have labored in a wide field and cared for many sheep, but all our toil in the field and among the flock does not exempt us from ministry to the Lord's own personal satisfaction.  That is our supreme task. "

Hope this compliments what you were offering.

Peace,
Layla
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:46:12 PM by Layla »

longhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 09:52:47 PM »

"Many or most of humanity hasn't a clue of what God's ultimate plan is, or the role Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour has in the lives of believers or the love He has for unbelievers and that His Sacrifice covers everyone, as Ray repeats over and over Jesus will not fail in His Father's plan of redemption for all creation"

Great Post Joe.

Longhorn.

gmik

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 12:30:19 AM »

I think that I compare too much.  A smile to an overtired cashier may help her a bit, but its not like being a missionary to Africa, or preaching in a stadium to 100,000 people.  So I think I forget too often the simple, easy things, like you guys are talking about.  Again, it is from the heart, not some action that can be seen & judged by the world.

Yes, you are a good Christian because I saw you.......whatever,: smoke, don't smoke, visit nursing home or not, show up to church every day,tithe don't tithe. How can I judge you if I can't see tangible evidence that you are a "christian".

Things of the heart can't be seen always. Doing sacrificially.  I didn't want to helpmy neighbor but I did ANYWAY.

I judge others by what they do BUT I judge myself by my good intentions!! ARRRGGGGGHHHH

Thanks guys for the Word- I need the reminders.

g

Lacey23

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 03:31:16 AM »

Hi Joe - I agree with brothertoall - this is an excellent post.  It's interesting, but just today I was reading Watchman Nee's commentary on Ministry to the House and to the Lord.  He writes:

Please bear with me when I say that all work which is truly spiritual is done in the presence of God.  If you really work in God's presence, when you come into the presence of men, they will respond.

In order to exhibit love in ministering to men, we must first be ministering to God.  We have been commissioned by Jesus Christ to proclaim the gospel, but in order to do it  with any effectiveness, it must Christ in you doing it and this is received when we minister to the Lord.  As a further illustration he writes:

"Luke 17:7-10 tells us clearly what the Lord is after.  There are two kinds of work referred to here - plowing the field and tending the flock - both very important occupations, yet the Lord says that even when a servant returns from such work, he is expected to provide for his master's satisfaction before sitting down to enjoy his own food.  When we have returned from our toil in the field, we are apt to muse complacently on the much work we have accomplished, but the Lord would say: "Gird yourself and give Me to eat." He requires ministry to Himself.  We may have labored in a wide field and cared for many sheep, but all our toil in the field and among the flock does not exempt us from ministry to the Lord's own personal satisfaction.  That is our supreme task. "

Hope this compliments what you were offering.

Peace,
Layla

That's very good information! I'm really glad you shared that with us. We, especially me, need lots of reminding to keep our eyes on the goal, that is miniistering to God, that need to come first, I am sure many of us want to jump over shortly after ministering to God, right to ministering to People. We need to learn to put God first, focus on him, and strive to be like Jesus, and trust God to take care of the minisistrying to people part because  he always find ways to do that. here's the scripture where it says we are to to be like Jesus. WE are to keep trying, and trying, strive to be like Jesus.

1 Cor 11:1: Continue becoming imitators of me, just as I also [am] of Christ.

and

here's what we are to do:

1Jo 3:18  My little children, let us not be loving in word nor in the tongue, _but_ in deed and in truth!
1Jo 3:19  And by this we know that we are of the truth, and we will assure our hearts [fig., consciences] before Him,
1Jo 3:20  because if our heart [fig., conscience] is condemning [us], that God is greater than our heart, and He knows all things.
1Jo 3:21  Beloved, if our heart [fig., conscience] shall not be condemning [us], we have confidence [or, a joyful sense of freedom] before God.
1Jo 3:22  And whatever we shall be asking, we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the [things] pleasing before Him.
1Jo 3:23  And this is His commandment, that we should believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and we should be loving one another, just as He gave commandment.
1Jo 3:24  And the one keeping His commandments abides in Him, and He in him; and by this we know that He abides in us, from the Spirit which He gave to us.

1 John 2 WEB
1 My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have a Counselor with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous.

2 And he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.

3 This is how we know that we know him: if we keep his commandments.

4 One who says, "I know him," and doesn't keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth isn't in him.

5 But whoever keeps his word, God's love has most certainly been perfected in him. This is how we know that we are in him:

6 he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk just like he walked.

7 Brothers, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning.

8 Again, I write a new commandment to you, which is true in him and in you; because the darkness is passing away, and the true light already shines.

9 He who says he is in the light and hates his brother, is in the darkness even until now.

10 He who loves his brother remains in the light, and there is no occasion for stumbling in him.

11 But he who hates his brother is in the darkness, and walks in the darkness, and doesn't know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

12 I write to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.

13 I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, little children, because you know the Father.

14 I have written to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God remains in you, and you have overcome the evil one.

15 Don't love the world, neither the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, the Father's love isn't in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, isn't the Father's, but is the world's.

17 The world is passing away with its lusts, but he who does God's will remains forever.

18 Little children, these are the end times, and as you heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have arisen. By this we know that it is the final hour.

19 They went out from us, but they didn't belong to us; for if they had belonged to us, they would have continued with us. But they left, that they might be revealed that none of them belong to us.

20 You have an anointing from the Holy One, and you all have knowledge.

21 I have not written to you because you don't know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.

22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the Antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.

23 Whoever denies the Son, the same doesn't have the Father. He who confesses the Son has the Father also.

24 Therefore, as for you, let that remain in you which you heard from the beginning. If that which you heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son, and in the Father.

25 This is the promise which he promised us, the eternal life.

26 These things I have written to you concerning those who would lead you astray.

27 As for you, the anointing which you received from him remains in you, and you don't need for anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is no lie, and even as it taught you, you will remain in him.

28 Now, little children, remain in him, that when he appears, we may have boldness, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

29 If you know that he is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of him.

Thanks again for sharing that info with us.

Lacey

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:00:40 AM by Lacey23 »

mongoose

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 12:11:21 PM »

It does seem to me that it's the little things that sometimes help.  Gena, I too wonder if what I am doing even counts...must have a bit of a complex but I always feel like I fall short...I help someone locally and wonder why I can't help all the people who are struggling in other countries.  And I judge myself based on my intentions too.  If I smile at someone or try to help because I feel like I should, it's almost like I think it doesn't count or something.  But I never think about the intentions of someone who smiles at me or tries to help me.  Guess I tend to judge myself a lot harsher than I would ever dare to do with anyone else.

But those little things that you aren't sure count or help...I've had days where a smile or a bit of kindness from a stranger just turned everything around.  Or a few kind words that kept me going when all I really wanted was to give up.  They may have seemed little to the person who did them, but to me, they were huge.  Surely it is all of God.  When I look back on my life now, I can see all the little ways that He placed people in my life to help me with what I needed to keep going and just when I needed it most.

I want to be able to do that for others too.  I feel so grateful for all that I've been given and all the gentle, loving care He's taken of me...I feel to privlidged when He uses me to care for one of His other children.  I've said this before around but in the last 3 years or so I've been trying to learn to stop and really look at a person and see them and not just mutter some pleasentry and keep going.  It only takes a little bit of time.  And yet I think people respond to that.  I think a lot of people must be loney or feel isolated or marginalized, and just want to be seen and loved for who they are, no strings attached and no becauses...except just because they are.  I love it when they open up a little and their eyes light up and their smile gets bigger.  And they often return the kindness...and come back for more.  It's been amazing to me to see the transformation on some faces when they realize that someone just wants to smile at them and truly wish them a good day.  Kindness seems to beget kindness in a lot of people and they relax and seem to feel better.  I'm rambling...I just get to thinking about this and it makes me so happy...   :D

Love to all in Christ,

mongoose

brothertoall

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 12:29:50 PM »

Mongoose,

Your words are perfect.

bobby

YellowStone

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 10:49:17 PM »

Mongoose, that's all it takes, a warm smile, a hello. Who other than God can know the impact that one small action could have on the lives that it courses it to touch.

It reminds me of the story of an old man walking a beach amongst 1,000's of washed up star fish. He would pick one up at a time and throw it back into the water. A young man watched him doing this for a while until finally out of exasperation, he walked over the the old man and asked him why he was doing it, and asking him what possible difference he was making as he could never through in any significant number to make a difference. The old man listened and after throwing the next one in, simply said: "Made a difference for that one!" and kept on working.

Don't stop Mongoose, you're doing fine! :)

Lot's of love to you,

Darren

Layla

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 11:12:16 PM »

Mongoose,

Your words are perfect.

I agree.  Your words define a compassionate heart.  And a compassionate heart makes alot of difference to a hurting soul in a hurried, uncaring world!

Peace,
Layla
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.