bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Paul?  (Read 7344 times)

hillsbororiver

Why Paul?
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:20:20 PM »

We can see Paul is the most prolific writer in the NT, why exactly is that? There were eleven that actually walked with Jesus during His ministry and one who betrayed Him who met an abrupt end by his own hand.

Why is the Christian slayer, the one who had to be forcefully converted the one who was entrusted to spread His Gospel to the Gentiles,(the rest of the world outside Judaism), given the commission to communicate His Words through scripture? Why is the self proclaimed "chief sinner" the one entrusted to spreading His Word to all the diverse peoples, why are his writings recorded in scripture?

1Ti 1:15  This is a faithfu saying and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Any thoughts or comments?

Joe

gmik

Re: Why Paul?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:42:15 PM »

That is an interesting topic.  Hope for more learned replies than mine..

That false prophet Miranda (from the youtube) at first said he was Paul reincarnated.  Then he said that Paul was the gospel we should be following.  I think the Concordant concern think the same way.

I always wondered if Paul knew his letters were really more than just letters and would be read 2000 years later? Why did God want the Chief of sinners to be the one to spread the gospel?  Why was he so succesfull at it?? He was a Roman citizen, could read & write, parents were well off, intelligent, single.  He did have a good resume for an author!

Paul is such an example to me of the way to live life in the Spirit. He willingly left all secular living behind and gave 100% for the gospel. Yet he was not perfect. I don't know if we can or will know, but God sure picked a good one!

gena

Andy_MI

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:57:03 PM »

What a great topic Joe!

Check this out:

1Ti 1:15-16 Rotherham
(15)  Faithful, the saying! and, of all acceptance, worthy,—that, Christ Jesus, came into the world, sinners, to save: of whom, the chief, am, I;—
(16)  Nevertheless, on this account, was mercy shewn me,—that, in me, the chief, Christ Jesus might shew forth his entire longsuffering, for an ensample of them about to believe on him unto life age-abiding.

I get the feeling the our Lord was showing us something very important here.

Since the Lord Jesus Christ can save the worst sinner that ever lived, I don't see him having a problem saving all men. 

And here's another thought:

Act 9:3-6 KJ2000
(3)  And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
(4)  And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?
(5)  And he said, Who are you, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom you persecute: it is hard for you to kick against the goads.
(6)  And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what will you have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told you what you must do.

Where was the supposed "free will" that is taught in most churches?

Talk about being "dragged" to Christ..wow!

He was converted in the length of time it takes to fall off a horse!

Peace,

Andy
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:58:41 PM by Andy_MI »

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 12:25:10 AM »

I really like verse 5 of Act 9 were Saul says, "Who are you, Lord?" Saul knew this was someone of a very high power and recognized Him as a Lord (supreme in authority). I can only imagine his thoughts when Jesus said, "I am Jesus whom you persecute."

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »

Thank you for your great responses Gena and Andy.

I really like verse 5 of Act 9 were Saul says, "Who are you, Lord?" Saul knew this was someone of a very high power and recognized Him as a Lord (supreme in authority). I can only imagine his thoughts when Jesus said, "I am Jesus whom you persecute."

Patrick, I have also thought about what an intense experience that must have been for Saul/Paul.

Thank you all again,

Joe

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:06:19 AM »

Why Paul?  What better way to glorify our Lord and Savior than through a man that was renowned for his presecution of the followers of Christ.  The conversion of this "chief sinner" spoke volumns.  Our Lord's master plan is perfect!

Just my 2 cents.

Rene'

dogcombat

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 11:13:47 AM »

Amen Rene,

I recall Christ telling Ananias, in Act 9:15-16 of Saul Of Taursus

15But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

16For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

This shows a similar theme to the "Last being First"  thread on the forum.  That God chose the foolish things to confound the wise, the weak to confoud the might, the the naught to bring to bear what's not in 1 Corinthians.   That Paul was CHOSEN when he was Saul by Christ proves yet again that Calling and Choosing are of God not ourselves.  And that the choosing happened before the world began proves God's plan is playing out to his intentions.

God be with us
Ches 

longhorn

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »

Why Paul?  I think anyone other than the "Chief of Sinners" would have been less effective.

Longhorn

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 11:48:39 AM »

Excellent thoughts Rene', Ches and Longhorn.

I am sure the Jews and Christians were rocked to their core when news of Saul being transformed to Paul arrived. The disbelief, the rumors that it was a hoax or a ploy, the utter astonishment had to ne monumental.

Imagine if news that someone like Osama Bin Laden was converted to Christianity, what would be the reaction of his followers, of Muslims in general and of course Christians, you think it would be comparable?

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:51:20 AM by hillsbororiver »

WildOlive

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 01:02:49 PM »

Gal 2:7-9
But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me (Paul), as [the gospel] of the circumcision [was] unto Peter; (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we [should go] unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Joe, I think this verse will help explain why Paul’s writings are more numerous than the others.  After 70 AD there were few of the circumcision left.  Most if not all of the believers were “of the uncircumcision” and therefore had Paul as their Apostle.  These were the believers that eventually canonized the Greek writings.   

Kat

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 01:58:36 PM »

Good topic Joe,
really gives you a better understanding of Paul.

I think Paul was being prepared all his life, for the very purpose, of spreading the gospel to the Gentiles,
and now to us by the scripture.  

As Gena said,
He was a Roman citizen, could read & write, parents were well off, intelligent, single.  He did have a good resume for an author!

I believe God had caused Paul to be trained or educated,
and then to experience what he needed to know,
so that he was able to do what was necessary, to carry out the work that he was given to do.

He was familiar with the Gentiles, even if it was through persecuting them. 
He really had to be made humble,
to turn around and go to the very ones he had persecuted so badly,
and now teach them the gospel and show them he really loved them.

Eph 3:1  For this reason I, Paul, am the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you gentiles.
v.2  Surely you have heard about the responsibility of administering God's grace that was given to me on your behalf,
v.3  and how this secret was made known to me through a revelation, just as I wrote about briefly in the past.
v.4  By reading this, you will be able to grasp my understanding of the secret about Christ,
v.5  which in previous generations was not made known to human beings as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God's holy apostles and prophets:
v.6  The gentiles are fellow heirs, fellow members of the body, and fellow sharers of what was promised in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
v.7  I was made a servant of the gospel by God's special gift, which He gave me through the working of His power. (Acts 9:3-6 His convertion on the road to Damascus)
v.8  I am less than the least of all God's people; yet God gave me this privilege of taking to the Gentiles the Good News about the infinite riches of Christ, v.9 and of making all people see how God's secret plan is to be put into effect. God, who is the Creator of all things, kept his secret hidden through all the past ages,
v.13  I beg you, then, not to be discouraged because I am suffering for you; it is all for your benefit.

This gives us a lot to consider, Paul truly had great understanding given him.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

SandyFla

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 04:10:26 PM »

Rene and Longhorn,

I was thinking the same thing. If God could save the worst of sinners and use him in such a marvelous way, then there is hope for the rest of us. :)

Sandy

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 07:24:27 PM »

Hi everyone

Dogcombat..I like what you've written..."Christ proves again that the calling and choosing are of God not ourselves."

Joe could you have perhaps also  have asked Why Judas.....?

.....Why Pharoah....why John the Baptist...why the cloud of witnesses,    why  you,

why me, why them why anyone at all......Good questions....WHY?...We are Gods family in His making! :)

And why Jesus!.... ;D.....why Adam, why Eve...The First and Last....

A very good thought provoker...!

Arcturus :)...

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 09:06:06 AM »

Great comments all, thank you.

What was on my mind as I was posting this was how Paul was an example of being dragged to the Lord, in a rather extreme fashion I must add. Ray has mentioned this many times, what part of Paul's "free will" decided to "come to Jesus?"

I see Saul/Paul conversion as a type of everyone, anyone who has ever lived, is presently alive, and who will be born into this world. The Lord will at some point make Himself very evident to even the most coldhearted, blasphamous, selfish, whatever anyone could consider the worst type of sinner, not only making Himself known and then promptly tossing them into an eternal hellhole but to SAVE THEM! To transform them into a Son or Daughter of God!

Yes, why any of us indeed. Paul is a perfect example (for those with eyes to see) that being saved (in this age or the next) has nothing to do with the Lord having our consent and cooperation, it is all Him. It is His mission to bring all the Father's children to Him, He will not fail.

He is the most prominent writer in the NT, churches quote from his books constantly but it seems not many connect the dots as to how the plan of salvation is being displayed in the conversion of Saul to Paul.

Thanks again everyone.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

mongoose

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 01:06:52 PM »

I used to get real angry at God over the whole deal He did with Paul.  Well, perhaps angry isn't the right word but it's close...sort of confused and very very irritated anyway.  It was when I was trying to fit into the churches and they kept talking about the whole hell thing.  I was trying to be "good" and "believe" what they were teaching.  Obviously, Paul wasn't intending on converting while walking down the road that day and it seemed like if the hell thing was true, God was a respector of persons and playing favorites.  Kind of a "look what I can do with someone who totally hates me; ha ha ha, I refuse to take care of all these other people the same way; I'd rather watch them burn."  There was some sort of muddled explanation about how Paul actually wanted to convert... which obviously couldn't make sense because it is so totally untrue.  I couldn't even follow it.

Of course, He also waited for me to be totally and insanely angry at Him and to tell Him that I'd rather spend eternity in hell than one minute with such a monster before He really started pulling me back to Him.  I still cringe that I said that to Him  :-[.  Anyway, God definitely doesn't wait until it's what we want, and He doesn't seem impressed with being told No.  I know I had no choice...and ironically enough, with all the fear people seem to have of being "puppets" that's the thing that comforts me the most when I have doubts.  When I think about that, I realize that God really is in control and must really love us, otherwise He would've been angry at me for that.  Instead He was so loving and started healing and teaching me.  This journey He has us on is hard and confusing at times....but so amazing.   :D

Love in Christ,

mongoose

buddyjc

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 01:07:32 PM »

I think of how proud he must have been on that road to Damascus.  He had just been to the Council asking for letters to go to Damascus to persecute Christians there.  He must have been very full of himself to have such an important position to the council.  And then, 'bam', Christ humbled him to the point he was face down in the dirt.  The church I work at recently had a revival, and on the last night, there were multitudes of people going down front to 'get saved.'  I assure you I was not a part of this.  I was looking through one of the doors.  I got to tell you, I saw a few who I know for sure went down that aisle last year.  I believe the example of Paul's conversion is what needs to happen to all.  I don't think those who walked that aisle were humbled in the same way.  There is no way that we can humble 'ourselves.' 

Brian

joyful1

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 11:39:50 PM »

Why Paul? Very good question...

He who has been forgiven much...loves much!

Paul's zealous nature, combined with the wonderful forgiveness that he must have experienced....may have been what propelled him physically to endure all those persecutions...?

He was the man for the job!

Joyce

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 07:24:37 AM »

Hi Brain

I AGREE with you..."there is no way to humble ourselves" because it is out of God's goodness that any of us repent even. It is out of HIS love first for us that we can love and it is out of His forgiveness towards us that we may forgive. Of our own we can do nothing and lastly HE  is the author and finisher of our faith....but who will believe our report? Only those to whom the Father calls and chooses....We do not choose Him!..we can not. Non of us can! :D......Isn't that reason to celebrate! :D

Arcturus :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.