bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torture?  (Read 5840 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Torture?
« on: October 25, 2006, 12:06:43 PM »

Ray:

I have been looking through your series concerning "Hell", about how God will not torture his children.
    Therefore. my question is concerning the scripture from Matthew 18 (the parable of the man who was forgiven for his debt, but did not forgive a man who owed him money).  In the latter part of this chapter the scripture reads

"Then the angry king sent the man to prison to be tortured until he had paid his entire debt.
     35  what my heavenly Father will do to you if you refuse to forgive your brothers and sisters from your heart. (NLT)

I am just curious on what your interpretation of this scripture is, because it does mention torture.

Thanks,

Dear Joseph:

Sometimes it is difficult to speak without committing what may appear to someone as being an infraction of grammar or word definition. That is why I weigh my words very carefully, but it still isn't good enough.

When I speak of "torture" which I have many hundreds of times, it has always, always been in the context of burning someones flesh with literal fire for all eternity--now THAT is "torture."

But it is also "torture" for me to listen to Christian preeeeechers.  Can you not see the difference?

The King James never uses the word "torture" anywhere.  The word basanizo (translated "tortured" in the NLT) is usually translated "torment," but sometimes, "tossed," "toiling," vexed," and "pained."  They were not literally "tortured" by the waves of the sea, but rather "tossed."

Torture can be relatively minor or bizarrely major.  The rest of the Scriptures tells us HOW God our Father will deal with those who do not repent, forgive their brothers, etc. He "JUDGES" them. And I have said many many times that this judgment is "not a walk in the park." It will be in some cases extremely severe, but never ever approaching being "tortured in literal fire by having one's flesh burned for all eternity."  Judgment means to set things right. Sometimes it takes pressure--extreme pressure, to set things right. There will be "few lashes" and "many lashes" in Judgment.

And so, I will not split hairs over how many "torments" it takes to make one "torture." But I think that you should be able to see from my explanation what I believe the Scriptures teach. The Rich man in the parable was "tormented" in the flame, yet it was the very same word bazanizo translated "sorrowing" by Jesus' mother in Luke 2:48.  Bazanizo ranges all the way from mental anxiety to literally being burned in fire.

Heb. 10:29 uses the phrase "sorer punishment" meaning "MORE EVIL punishment."  Trust me, this "MORE EVIL punishment" of Heb. 10:29 is going to be many times more severe than Mary's anxiety over not knowing where Jesus was for short time.

God be with you, Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.