bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concordant Literal Version  (Read 19010 times)

Paul

Re: Concordant Literal Version
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »

I do like to compare verses and have marked through everlasting and hell in my KJV and replaced with aions and hades.

I like that the KJV uses hell, because then hell gets destroyed in the lake of fire (Rev. 20:14)!  :)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »

That brings a giggle! :)

My how times have changed. Tell a person to “go to hell” today, and it is an insult of the highest level. Tell a person back in the dark ages of England to “go to hell” and he would probably go to a cool cellar and bring back some potatoes for dinner. For that is where they stored potatoes—in hell.http://bible-truths.com/lake16-A.html

So the potato cellar is consigned to the LOF!! Good one!  :D ;D

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

phazel

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »

Is there some online documentation about storage of potatoes in hell  long ago.   I am not doubting Ray,  but I would like some additional documentation of this if I happen to bring it up to someone to make a point and they ask.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 09:19:19 PM »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia;

The modern English word Hell is derived from Old English hel, helle (about 725 AD) and ultimately from Proto-Germanic halja, meaning "one who covers up or hides something."

From The Webster Encylopedia of the English Language 1969 Edition;

hell, hel, n. A.Sax. hel, from helan, to cover, conceal, literally a place of concealment = D and Icel. hel, G. holle, hell; same root as L. celo, to conceal . Akin helmet

According to Arcade Dictionary of Word Origins by John Ayto, the etymology of the word "hell" is as follows:

hell (OE) Etymologically, "hell" is a 'hidden place.' It goes back ultimately to Indo-European 'kel' (cover, hide), which has contributed an extraordinary number of words to English, including 'apocalypse,'' cell,' 'cellar,' 'conceal,' 'helmet,' 'hull,' 'pod,' 'occult,' and possibly 'colour' and 'holster.' Its Germanic descendant was 'khel-,' 'khal-,' whose derivatives included 'khallo' and 'khaljo.' The first became modern English 'hall,' the second modern English 'hell-'-so both hall and hell were originally 'concealed or covered places,' although very different ways: the 'hall' with a roof, 'hell' with at least six feet of earth. Related Germanic forms include German 'Holle' (O with an umlaut), Dutch 'hel,' and Swedish 'helvete' (in which 'vete' means punishment').

kweli

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 09:42:50 AM »

Hi everybody

I've been trying to install esword forever (probably the most appropriate time to use the word) and either I'm not getting it right or I'm not getting the entire file. Each time I try to install I get an error message. Then I download again and wait, then try to install then error message.  Pls help.

All Glory to Him
Kweli

phazel

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »

Make sure your getting the top file in the listing,  the bottom one is an update and you can't install that by itself.   It is also possible that they are having server problems which sometimes can result in corrupt files.

Dante

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »

Thanks Andy_MI.!!!
Excellent!!!

Me

Paul

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »

I don't like how this Bible says things like "be seeing" instead of "see" and "be displaying" instead of just "display".

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 02:01:05 PM »

Paul, it's is a literal translation, that's why. It tries to translate literally how it is in the Hebrew/Greek. It doesn't try to make it sound beautiful in English.

Like Ray said in one of his audios (think it was "How we got the Bible?"): He would read the King James, but consult the literal translation when he needs a precise translation. There are other literal translations as well, like Young's.

God be with you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

gmik

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 09:22:58 PM »

I agree w/ Paul.  That aorist tense is confusing bcz it is used ALL the time so it can difuse the meaning.

kweli

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 12:58:28 PM »

Hello everybody

I really need help now. Everytime I try to install the latest downloaded file (which is probably every second day or something) I get an error message. Is esword now selling the software? Cos I saw a link to a donation where you'll then get a free CD delivered to you...

I used some other software and it was just not up to standard. I need esword in my life   :'(

eggi

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »

Yes, Gena, it can be confusing, but isn't that how we got "Creating is the Elohim humanity", instead of "And God created"?

And creating is the Elohim humanity in His image. In the image of the Elohim He creates it. Male and female He creates them. (Gen 1:27 CLV)

To tell the truth, I don't know when which tense is correct. I guess you have to look at how it's used in the Hebrew text.

God be with you,
Eirik

Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

pylady

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 11:41:33 PM »

Kweli,

I haven't been able to download e-sword either.  I had it and loved it.  But then changed servers, tried to reload it and just can't get it to work.  It downloads, and the screen shows the bible chapters and verses, but when I click on a vs nothing comes up.  and at the bottom it says "dictionary".  I have tried everything with the formatting but nothing brings the bible verses up.

I really miss e-sword.   :'(
Anybody have any idea what's going on with esword or what I'm doing wrong?   ???   Thanks for any help.

Cindy

Brett

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 04:44:48 AM »

Hello,

I had upgrade E-sword for version 9. Then I copied CLV in the zip file and pasted in program files (x86), then I clicked E-sword start and notice the CLV was not in. I tried several times and different way, but nothing work. I had CLV in E-sword version 6, 7, and 8 and was fine. But not new version 9. I know how do it my self but nothing work for new version. Has anyone have CLV in new version 9 successful? If so, how? I hope not E-sword reject CLV.

Brett

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 08:15:41 AM »

Brett,

Glad to see you posting, I was wondering where you have been.

Craig
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:35:00 PM by Craig »

Kat

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2009, 01:20:08 PM »

Hi Brett,

Good to hear from you, it's been a while.  Here is a link to a thread from a short time ago where this was discussed.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,9970.0.html

Hope it helps.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

meefsgirl

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »

Thank you very much, Andy!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.