bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: God's will and your life  (Read 11423 times)

TRUTHSEEKER

God's will and your life
« on: November 07, 2006, 11:18:51 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted a topic to be discussed in this forum as of yet. But because of my desire to learn how God is operating in your lives I write.  The question that I pose to the forum is how has God revealed his plan to you concerning your life?  I am curious because for some time now (about two years) I've been wrestling with this.  It has been a mental pinpong of sorts in trying to learn what God's will is for my life as concerning a career.  I am currently active duty in the armed forces (NAVY). I've enjoyed my time thus far.  But, I'm at a cross roads at this point because I'm not fully satisfied with what I'm doing.  I feel that God has great things in store for me but have absolutely no idea of the path he wants me to go in order to get to what he's planned for me.  I read the bible and see how God called many people in my predicament.  I noticed a common trend.  Noone that God called had a desire to know what God wanted of them before God made it known to them.  I think of Moses in the backside of the desert tending sheep when God called him to be the deliverer of Israel.  God called Gideon at a point in his life when he didn't even think that he could perform the tasks that God had for him to fulfill when God called him a mighty man of valor.  Saul/Paul was doing anything but seeking God when God sought him.  They all were ignorant to the call of God until God called them.  I'm actively praying and seeking God for what he wants to do with my life and He remains silent.  I will continue to trust Him for strength and guidance. What are your thoughts?

buddyjc

Re: God's will and your life
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:09:35 PM »

God's will is easy.  It's 'Don't eat the fruit.'  I used to ponder what God's will was for my life, but He has since caused me to realize that His will is to be obedient to Him.  I don't worry anymore about tomorrow.  I live for 'right now.'  If you are obedient to God, His plan for you will take shape as you live out your life for Him.  Stay focused on Christ, the 'author and finisher of your faith.'  Christ is our example to follow, so just imitate Him. 

Gal. 2:20; Col. 1:25-27

God's Blessings,
Brian

Nancy

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 02:33:16 PM »

Hi there Truthseeker and buddyjc,

Truthseeker, i have wrestled with this question of what is God's Will in my life ever since i can remember. It has been a frustrating one as i never seem to get the answer.  i was always trying this and that, thinking that this was the right path to take.  i just ended up in circles. 
Surely if you believe in free will then this will be the consequence. 
Buddyjc, you said that if you are obedient to God, His plan will take shape in your life.  If God is operating all after the counsel of His Will and creating vessels of honour and dishonour, then even if you are disobedient you are following God's Will.  Did the King of Assyria think he was doing God's Will in going against Israel?  Of course not, nor did Osama bin laden and so on. But they were and are now. 
We should be at peace and just live our lifes and not try to outthink God.  i say this not as a criticism as i am guilty of doing this myself.
If there is no such thing as free will and scripture doesn't support it, then everything is happening exactly as it should.
God bless
Nancy

ciy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 03:20:42 PM »

That's right Nancy.  Whatever your life is right now is God's will.  If you are 45 years old and tomorrow is your 46th birthday, then you have lived God's will for 45 years.  Press on to the future believing and praying God gives you the faith and courage to step out in Christ and realize that at whatever moment you are exactly where God meant for you to be and keep looking ahead with no condemnation for what is behind.  You are in God's will believe it and live it.
God Bless all
CIY

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 06:39:27 PM »

Great answer CIY :)

But I can certainly see where TRUTHSEEKER is coming from. For surely, even those most evil walking the Earth today are doing so because of God's will.

Is this enough? The murderers, adulterators, thieves, etc are living according to God's will. But, once again, is this enough?

Of course living as such will not prevent one from being saved, for Christ died not to judge the world but to save it.

Jhn 12:47
  • And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

But let's get down to basics, there is no middle ground concerning good and evil.

Deu 30:15
  • See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;

I guess everyone knows that actions speak louder than words, but God see's past even the actions to the motive. Wow! How fair is this, he see's the motive behind my every action because "He put it there!" 

Yes, this is certainly true. But God also gave us a 'conscience.' That little voice in the back of your mind than let's you know when you are about to do something you know is not right, and the one that causes you to feel bad, having done it.

Paul instructed Timothy to have a "good" conscience.

1Ti 1:18-19
  • This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;
  • Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

Are we not to have the same? Perhaps this is not exactly what you were looking for TRUTHSEEKER, but I believe it is a wonderful "barometer," that indicates very well our walk with God.

I believe this point is often overlooked in favor of "If God is with me, who can be against me?" (I think I have said that a time or two myself) But I believe that this is an unequal paradox, because although God is always walking with me, does not and cannot mean that I am always walking with him.

Now here is the question; if we walk past a brother begging on the street and do nothing other than thinki: "Thank God that he will be saved!" Are we pleasing God?

Of course not. :)

Mat 25:45
  • Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.

Oh boy, am I so pretentious? or is simply God causing me to be that way. Perhaps for that split second we have total control over our "future" (not saying that God doesn't know what we will decide) and depending on the choice we make, we either feel good or not. Remember what Paul said about having a "good conscience."

I have not the slightest idea what God has planned for me, my only prayer for myself is that my steps fall closer and closer to his and stay there. I believe we all know where are concerning "our" walk with God, so is their really any question regarding his plans for our life?

I hope that helps a little, comments are always welcome.

I have been away for 3 or so weeks, did anyone miss me? :)

I missed you all,

Love,

Darren
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:42:19 PM by YellowStone »

gmik

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 08:02:35 PM »

Truthseeker, thank you for serving our country.  My son got out of the Marines after 8 years,in March, thinking he would have a job and move on in a couple of months.  Well, he is still at home.

Now, he is doing all he knows to do and is waiting on God.  He has applied to college, he has applied to private security(Iraq), and he has gone out on police runs to see if that is what he might want to do. His unemployment runs out soon.  I am hoping for colllege, he wants to go back to the middle east.  He missed the cut off date for the January term at U of M so he would have to wait till next Sept.  The private security job keeps saying yes, yes, but then puts it off another month.

He reads a lot of Ray's site and mostly plays computer games.   Is this God's will?  Yes, but we are all getting a little antsy. :)

A little over a year ago, our other son was at his wits end, hated his job, didn't have a girlfirend, didn't think God had any plan for him.   Now he is married to a wonderful gal, they have moved to Florida, and both are working and loving it.   

So ya just never know, but you go about the business of life and do what you know to do, the scriptures are full of how to live life the Godly way, and Trust God.

Bless you Truthseeker.  Your call name tells me you will be just fine.

Love,
gena

gmik

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 08:06:28 PM »

Hey Darren, yes we all missed ya.  Glad to have you back.

What is your pirate name???????

Kat

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 08:19:41 PM »

Hi Darren,

I noticed you were gone.
Glad to see you back.
Your post always get me to thinking.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

TRUTHSEEKER

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 08:27:46 PM »

Hi there Truthseeker and buddyjc,

Truthseeker, i have wrestled with this question of what is God's Will in my life ever since i can remember. It has been a frustrating one as i never seem to get the answer.  i was always trying this and that, thinking that this was the right path to take.  i just ended up in circles. 
Surely if you believe in free will then this will be the consequence. 
Buddyjc, you said that if you are obedient to God, His plan will take shape in your life.  If God is operating all after the counsel of His Will and creating vessels of honour and dishonour, then even if you are disobedient you are following God's Will.  Did the King of Assyria think he was doing God's Will in going against Israel?  Of course not, nor did Osama bin laden and so on. But they were and are now. 
We should be at peace and just live our lifes and not try to outthink God.  i say this not as a criticism as i am guilty of doing this myself.
If there is no such thing as free will and scripture doesn't support it, then everything is happening exactly as it should.
God bless
Nancy

I am so glad that I'm not alone in this matter.  Nancy, you gave me a thought.  I think that the reason why I am in this mode of indecision is because it somehow is God's way of keeping me humble.  He's keeping me in a place where I have no other alternative but to seek him.  It's hard to describe but that is the jist of what I am feeling at this point as I type this.  Thank you for your comment.

TRUTHSEEKER

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 08:33:38 PM »

Great answer CIY :)

But I can certainly see where TRUTHSEEKER is coming from. For surely, even those most evil walking the Earth today are doing so because of God's will.

Is this enough? The murderers, adulterators, thieves, etc are living according to God's will. But, once again, is this enough?

Of course living as such will not prevent one from being saved, for Christ died not to judge the world but to save it.

Jhn 12:47
  • And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

But let's get down to basics, there is no middle ground concerning good and evil.

Deu 30:15
  • See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;

I guess everyone knows that actions speak louder than words, but God see's past even the actions to the motive. Wow! How fair is this, he see's the motive behind my every action because "He put it there!" 

Yes, this is certainly true. But God also gave us a 'conscience.' That little voice in the back of your mind than let's you know when you are about to do something you know is not right, and the one that causes you to feel bad, having done it.

Paul instructed Timothy to have a "good" conscience.

1Ti 1:18-19
  • This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;
  • Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

Are we not to have the same? Perhaps this is not exactly what you were looking for TRUTHSEEKER, but I believe it is a wonderful "barometer," that indicates very well our walk with God.

I believe this point is often overlooked in favor of "If God is with me, who can be against me?" (I think I have said that a time or two myself) But I believe that this is an unequal paradox, because although God is always walking with me, does not and cannot mean that I am always walking with him.

Now here is the question; if we walk past a brother begging on the street and do nothing other than thinki: "Thank God that he will be saved!" Are we pleasing God?

Of course not. :)

Mat 25:45
  • Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.

Oh boy, am I so pretentious? or is simply God causing me to be that way. Perhaps for that split second we have total control over our "future" (not saying that God doesn't know what we will decide) and depending on the choice we make, we either feel good or not. Remember what Paul said about having a "good conscience."

I have not the slightest idea what God has planned for me, my only prayer for myself is that my steps fall closer and closer to his and stay there. I believe we all know where are concerning "our" walk with God, so is their really any question regarding his plans for our life?

I hope that helps a little, comments are always welcome.

I have been away for 3 or so weeks, did anyone miss me? :)

I missed you all,

Love,

Darren

Darren, this is the most profound thing I've read all day.  "Wow! How fair is this, he see's the motive behind my every action because "He put it there!".  Your comment is deeper and more insightful than most will ever realize.  God puts the motivation in a persons heart to do what they do and think what they think.  This is truly God working everything after the counsel of his own will.  You have said rightly that God "put it there!".  He most certainly did.  That is exactly why God knows the end from the beginning.  There's no way around this truth.  God is truly good.  Thank you for your comments.

TRUTHSEEKER

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 08:49:03 PM »

A little over a year ago, our other son was at his wits end, hated his job, didn't have a girlfirend, didn't think God had any plan for him.   Now he is married to a wonderful gal, they have moved to Florida, and both are working and loving it.   

So ya just never know, but you go about the business of life and do what you know to do, the scriptures are full of how to live life the Godly way, and Trust God.

Bless you Truthseeker.  Your call name tells me you will be just fine.

Love,
gena

Hello Gena,

It's been a pleasure to serve my country.  I too will be in the Navy for 8 years this December.  If left up to me I would stay in longer. But, due to a physical fitness requirement that I seem to not be able to meet it appears that I will have to be dismissed from military service.  I don't know if this was a part of God's will for me or not.  I have felt for a while that I am not truly satisfied in my job situation and I believe God sees that.  Things seem to have plateued and I feel stuck most times. I pray that if it is his will for me to stay then, God will open up the way and give me what it takes to overcome this hurdle.  If not his will for me to continue in this career than I pray for a clear vision as to what he wants from my life.  Unlike your son at the time I do have a girlfriend who I love very much and plan on getting married hopefully within the next year.  I think that another aspect of my frustration is that I want to be able to provide the best possible life for her, likewise myself.  With me possibly not having a steady check flowing in after I get out doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling on the inside.  This fact alone make me want to know that much more what is my calling in life.  My feelings are that how can my girlfriend/future wife support my life and vision if I don't know what my vision is fully as of yet.  I take courage in the fact that your son and his wife are doing well beyond military life.  I have the faith to believe that all will be fine.  Thank you for your comments. 

YellowStone

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 01:59:34 PM »

Hey Darren, yes we all missed ya.  Glad to have you back.

What is your pirate name???????

Hi Gena,

Glad to be back :)

I don't have a pirate name :(  Any ideas? :)

Darren

YellowStone

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 02:02:13 PM »

Hi Darren,

I noticed you were gone.
Glad to see you back.
Your post always get me to thinking.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Hi Kat :)

It's good to be back, I took some much needed time off for some soul searching.

I hope my posts are helping rather than harming? :)

Love,

Darren

YellowStone

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »

Thanks TRUTHSEEKER :)

I think Pauls following words are so comforting.

1Ti 1:19

We should hold the faith to the forefront of our lives; keeping a good conscience so that we don't become shipwrecked. How useful is this? :)

Having faith does not prevent one from shelving it. Can we say that faith is what faith does?

Is this a fair question?

Comments welcome :)

Love to all,

Darren

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 04:14:08 PM »

Hi Truthseeker

You ask is a)    How is God opperating in your lives and
               b)   How has God revealed His plan for your life to you

a)   God has been opperating in my life mysteriously! :D He has been playing a game of Hide and Seek with me :(  Sometimes I have seen Him but most times I have not. Of late He is showing me that He has beset me and shut me in - behind and before, and He has laid His hand upon me. Psalm 139:5  This means all the times I wanted to go right, God stopped me and I went left. When I wanted to understand my past God put His hand in front of my eyes and I could not see behind. When I thought I could see ahead, God showed me I couldn't because He beset me "before". All the time His hand has been on me and I could not do anything I wanted and everything that I did do was His purpose for me even if I was against His will for me. Pharoah went against Gods will....let my people go..... God made Pharoah's heart resist God's will  and this was in accordance with Gods purpose.I too have wondered about my life, behind and before me ....God showed me recently that it was He who gave me my experiences in my life.

b) God has not revealed His plan for my life. I believe only Jesus knew what the plan of God was for His life. I believe only
Jesus knows what the plan of God is for each of our lives because He comes to finish our faith and for now our faith is tested as we wait in hope. Some scriptures that  help me be at peace with this are:

2 Cor 3:18 And ALL OF US as with unveiled face, because we continued to behold in the Word of God, as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are constantly being transfigured into His very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another for this comes from the Lord Who is the Spirit.

Heb 9:28....Even so it is that Christ....willl appear a second time....to bring to full salvation those who are eagerly, constantly and patiently waiting for and expecting Him.

I believe it is the, eagerly...constantly...patiently...expectantly...waiting...that we all are being trained in. It is not easy...but it is  "in accordance with His purpose, Who works out everything in agreement with the counsel and design of His own will. Eph 1:11

Hope this helps

Arcturus :)

Wesco_5

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 09:18:34 PM »

God's will is easy.  It's 'Don't eat the fruit.'  I used to ponder what God's will was for my life, but He has since caused me to realize that His will is to be obedient to Him.  I don't worry anymore about tomorrow.  I live for 'right now.'  If you are obedient to God, His plan for you will take shape as you live out your life for Him.  Stay focused on Christ, the 'author and finisher of your faith.'  Christ is our example to follow, so just imitate Him. 

Gal. 2:20; Col. 1:25-27

God's Blessings,
Brian

Praise the Lord this is the Truth!!! "

Joh 12:26  If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.

Christ in us is the Will of God in us and at work in us...

Phi 2:13  for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Not my Will be done...

But i do understand your tension Truthseeker...Remember God is for you not against you! You are free to walk in His Love! Take the practical steps toward where you are youing and trust that the LORD WILL direct you foot steps.

Pro 19:21  Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.

Bless you,

Wez

hillsbororiver

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 10:39:56 PM »

The question that I pose to the forum is how has God revealed his plan to you concerning your life?  I am curious because for some time now (about two years) I've been wrestling with this.  It has been a mental pinpong of sorts in trying to learn what God's will is for my life as concerning a career.  I am currently active duty in the armed forces (NAVY). I've enjoyed my time thus far.  But, I'm at a cross roads at this point because I'm not fully satisfied with what I'm doing.  I feel that God has great things in store for me but have absolutely no idea of the path he wants me to go in order to get to what he's planned for me.    I'm actively praying and seeking God for what he wants to do with my life and He remains silent.  I will continue to trust Him for strength and guidance. What are your thoughts?

Hi Truthseeker,

I certainly can empathize with your current state, I have been there, but in my case it was self inflicted, He turned it into an incredible blessing. A few years back (when I was in my early 40's) I made a series of boneheaded decisions that cost me my job as Southeastern U.S. Regional Sales Manager for a manufacturing company. I was humbled and crushed to the point of having to work out of a labor pool for minimum wage. I won't get into all the details of how I went from expense accounts, perks and 3 martini lunches to the lowest of the low but believe me, it was a multi faceted scourging, including courts, jail, probation officers, loss of a drivers license, etc.

Anyway, little did I realize nor would I have believed it at the time but the Lord was leading me right there and through all these things for an earthly situation much improved over my former "Prestige Job" and ultimately a spiritual situation that I had absolutely no idea even existed.

As I had done in previous times of self induced misery I took out my bible, dusted it off and began reading, looking for comfort and hope, I remember Job and the story of Joseph as being particularly relevant to my situation although to me it seemed that these two were REALLY being led of the Lord to a greater understanding and prominance whereas I believed it was my own "free will" which got me to this desperate place. Most everything I read went miles over my (carnal) head.

What I did manage to gleen from my reading is that when we fall, or are tripped up, or pushed down, or lost in the wilderness is DO NOT LOSE FAITH, do not quit and most of all seek to do the very best in all situations while trusting in Him, for me at that time I really had no choice in the matter, I can see now He had me right where He wanted me.

I had to show up at 5:00 AM to sign in and wait for my name to be called to get a work ticket, to be assigned a job, sometimes the job itself did not start until 8 AM so some days were pretty long for the measly pay, but I had a weirdly optimistic feeling as I dug ditches, swept warehouses, unloaded trucks, labored at construction sites, etc. the people I was working for on these jobs began asking me if I was interested in joining their company and/or calling the labor pool office and either requesting me or thanking them for sending me to their jobsite.

The General Manager of 3 of these offices happened to take a couple of these calls and decided he wanted to get to know this guy who was getting these good reviews, he began to personally drive me to my assignments while we would talk about everything under the sun, and how the heck did I get to the point of having to work for him? After a few days of this he offered me a job in the office, it took a total of about 7 weeks to go from a grunt to the office.

The people he had in the office (the Office Manager especially) were not especially competent and seemed to relish being authoritarian and lording over many of the workers, they also had a limited grasp on how to cultivate good customer relations, more and more I started to step in and do the things they were either unwilling or incapable of doing, within 2 months I was the new Office Manager. 

This office had been more or less the redheaded stepchild of the chain, usually only getting out about 25 to 30 people a day after a few months of treating the workers better, following up with customers and personally visiting the sites we had the number of workers going out double, within the year it tripled. My boss was handing me raises and bonuses like crazy, within a year I was now making about 25% more than I was at my former job!

There is a lot more I could add to this story, the blessings continued to where I am now as a Senior Manager in a Construction (Home Building) Company and all the while leading me spiritually, at first seeking "the true church" then "stumbling" on to Bible Truths, but I am running a bit too long here as it is. Let me finish this post with (I believe) some relevant scripture.

From Matthew Chapter 6

25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

ned

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 12:59:40 AM »

Joe what a great story! Just to read what God has done in your life has blessed me.
You have proved without a doubt (not that God's Word needs proving), that if you can take heed to this verse
Matt6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
all things will indeed be added unto you.

Truthseeker, I pray you would do as you suggest, and simply wait and lean on our Lord.
Live for Him and He will live in you.

Love,
Marie

YellowStone

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 03:01:48 AM »

Joe, what an amazing story. :)

I can only speak for myself, but it is truly evident to me that God is walking with you and you with him in everything that you say.

Seeing and hearing you , as well as others here) living the word of God is just as profound to the likes of me as any story in the bible. How can it not? For the trials and tribulations that bombard us each day are no less than those of biblical times and according to Paul, quite possibly more so.

2Ti 3:1-5
  • 1. This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
  • 2.  For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
  • 3.  Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
  • 4.  Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
  • 5.  Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away

Isn't it wonderful seeing God with our very own eyes through the way that he has led us and others through the good times and the bad.

May GOd continue to bless you Joe and all that visit this forum

Love,
Darren
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 08:32:57 AM by YellowStone »

hart4god

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 12:19:37 PM »

AWESOME TESTIMONY!

Thanks so much for sharing that, joe.
I am so rejoicing in God's faithfulness and goodness because of it.

He truly is working all things together for good......

love,
judie h.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.