bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sin  (Read 4100 times)

mongoose

Sin
« on: November 09, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »

I've been thinking a lot about humility and sin lately.  Haven't posted for awhile (work got crazy and I go through these periods where I just need to think and talk alone with God about things).  We're all still sinners and I have been wondering why that continues on in this life for us.  I got to feeling bad about still being a sinner (even though I know the apostles were clear that there was still sin in them as well).   But I got to feeling bad that I wasn't "working on it" harder or something like that.  Does that make any sense?  I had a week away at a meeting and in between talking science, I spent a lot of time thinking and praying.  A very dear friend recently told me "May God keep us humble".  And that fascinated me because that's the answer I keep coming back to.  If He didn't keep this sin in my life and in front of me, would I become puffed up and proud of how "righteous" I would be?  I think I would and that I would be less tolerant and loving of others...get all proud of myself.  (I'm reminded of a quote.."If the Lord ever let me be truly humble, I'd probably be proud about it").

But I get confused.  People say that God hides His eyes and won't listen to sinners (and they quote some bible verses).  So, if you have sin in your life (which I can't even decide what that means half the time), it seems like there are scriptures that say that God isn't supposed to be with you or talk or listen to you.  But, then if He doesn talk to or respond to sinners, how come when I told Him I hated Him and would rather rot in hell than be with Him, (surely that's a sin?), how come that's when He chose to step in and talk to me the first time in a real obvious way where I knew it was Him?  So, I don't know.  Does sin keep me from God because He can't stand that and won't come near it?  Or is this sin keeping me humble and desiring to be closer to Him?  Does that make any sense?  If He loves me and is talking with me and taking care of me without regard to my current sins (and I think He is and that He does that for all of us), that makes me feel so small and yet so grateful and cherished and loved that I love Him all the more.  Maybe those who are forgiven much (and constantly keep being forgiven much, really do love much....at least I think that's the case with me).  And it also constantly reminds me that I cannot expect or ask for perfection in others.  If God loves me as and where I am, then I must (and really want to also) love others as and where they are.

It's not like I deliberately seek to sin.  Only like Paul said, I don't do the things I want to do and do the things I know are wrong.  Do I make some heroic effort to squash that and squash huge parts of who I am in the process?  Or am I supposed to wait and God will fix it when He wants to?  I kinda believe the second and that thought relaxes me and I'm ok with it.  But am I just rationalizing things or is that real?  I don't know.

"Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.  As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry..... The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4: 1-3, 7-11

What does it mean to "live for the will of God"?  What I like about these verses the most...."love covers over a multitude of sins".  I think about that time when He first comforted me outright so that I knew it was Him a lot and I love to look at where He's brought me and how He's changed me since that time.  I certainly didn't try to change or do anything.  It comforts me that it was all Him and that I don't have to worry or strive to do something.  If He did all that without me even knowing it for a long time, well, let's just say I like that He's in charge.  I don't want to be anything in particular....including perfect....I just want to be with Him.  And He does let me know from time to time that He is with me always.  Usually in some surprising way.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about these things or was struggling with similar problems understanding.

Love to you all,

mongoose

hillsbororiver

Re: Sin
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:27:06 PM »

Hi Mongoose,

This is from a thread Slaves to Sin that I posted a few weeks back ( http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2137.0.html ). I think it kind of relates to what you are speaking of.

Slaves to Sin
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:48:15 AM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning I woke up thinking about how Jesus and the Father are two entities of One Mind and how believers are of two minds in one entity.

Joh 10:30  I and my Father are one.

Rom 7:14  For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Believers have the Mind of Christ warring against the carnal mind of the beast within, this struggle with the bondage to sin we were created with underlines the total lack of free will that the denominations say humanty has;

Rom 6:16  Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom 6:17  But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Rom 6:18  Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Rom 6:19  I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

This tug of war between the carnal nature and the Spirit of Christ within us ultimately will make us spiritually stronger but I can say from experience that weariness also rears its head at times, making it difficult to connect with others even as they go through the same type of trials within themselves. I believe this weariness serves a noble purpose as it inspires us to shut off the outside influences to seek rest within Him, giving us the strength to move forward in our spiritual walk.

Pro 3:11  My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:

Remembering the promises of rest and replenishment in Him will help us through through these times;

Jer 31:25  For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.

Jer 31:26  Upon this I awaked, and beheld; and my sleep was sweet unto me.

Mat 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

It is not our reality or destiny to be "free" in the strict sense of the word, we can have the freedom of no longer being in bondage to sin but when we are called to our Lord we are to become slaves to righteousness which is Him living in us. I find it is in those private moments with Him when experiencing the feeling of pure peace and love, when He reveals Himself more abundantly and I get a taste of what is to come, and that gives me the strength to continue the race.

Heb 12:1  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Heb 12:2  Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Heb 12:3  For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

Heb 12:4  Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Heb 12:5  And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:

Heb 12:6  For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

Heb 12:7  If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

Heb 12:8  But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye ******** and not sons.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 11:43:31 PM by hillsbororiver »

brothertoall

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 09:21:11 AM »

Mongoose these verses say it all for me:

Romans 8:38-39

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

bobby

orion77

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 11:52:08 AM »

I believe that God definetly does hear the prayers of sinners.  How can we worship Him in Spirit and Truth without ackowledging our sins to Him?  Our sins is what humbles us and brings true repentence and thankfulness towards God for forgiving one such as me. 

That is the picture of a Loving Father, that only wants truthful, honest, and sincere communication from us.  God who know us better than we do, how could I go in prayer to Him and act as if I am without sin through works of my own and demand things from Him?  The majority will not come out and say this, but isn't this what they teach?

'To live for the will of God', I bellieve you answered your own question with 'love covers a multitude of sins'.  We are being formed into His character and that is what He is all about.

God bless,

Gary

vonmarschall

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 12:56:47 AM »

Mongoose,

I struggle with the same things.  I find that we all do.  I completely understand where you are coming from.  We will never be perfect until God makes us that way.

The fact that you care about your situation.  That for even a moment you resist.  This shows that God is calling you.  This shows that you care.  That is all that matters.  I know it sucks.  I struggle with this EACH AND EVERY DAY.  It is pure suffering when you have just sinned after losing a battle with temptation, but this life IS war.  Flesh against the Spirit, and the Flesh wants to win very badly.  But I have heard this from Ray and others.  We are exactly where God wants us to be.  It is so hard to trust without doubt, fear and guilt.  There are always the "what ifs" that run through your head.  This is also part of our struggle.

I am far away from where I want to be.  I sometimes lack faith.  I sometimes doubt God.  I continually get wrapped up in the day-to-day grind that distracts me totally from my attention to God.  Keep carrying that cross my Brother like Christ did.  Christ saved us from our sins, but not from suffering, conflict and all of the other things that afflict us in this life.  These other things seem SO much bigger because they are the "here and now."  It is what we live day-by-day.  In the big picture, it is the fact that God is refining us through sin and suffering and eventual freedom from these ties that bind that will be our big reward when the time comes.

I won't quote scripture (although I love to read the examples others use).  Instead I will simply speak from my heart whether I am right or wrong.  It doesn't matter because I am doing what God intended for me to do RIGHT NOW.  And right now this involves you too my Brother.

On some days when my mood is good and my head is clear, I almost get to a point where I rejoice in my suffering because it means that God MADE me.  He blessed me enough to have this opportunity to simply exist and experience what it is to live.  Even when it seems impossible.  Sometimes my eyes fill with tears because through all of the things I think are BS that I fight with every day of my life proves once again that one day God will save me, and I can look back on my life and see His perfect purpose for me.  How my purpose ties with the purpose for others.  Perhaps I might even see the master plan and actually UNDERSTAND.

Rejoice that we exist!  We are alive!  We have a spirit!  God gave us a place in the Universe.  God has a home for us waiting for the day we return to Him.  God gave us this incredible gift and opportunity.  When you think about it.  Really think about it.  Is it not the most incredible thing you can imagine?

Mongoose, I wish you peace.  You are in my prayers, and you are NOT alone for I stand next to you along with many others.

God be with you.

Chris

Madeline

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 01:46:26 AM »

Mongoose, think about this...if you weren'y struggling with sin, would you be considered saved? unsaved people don't struggle with sin. The fact that your are struggling with sin shows that you are in the process of sanctification, this is a lifelong process. You're going to continue to struggle with sin until your body of flesh is done away with when we see Christ face to face. God doesn't use sin to humble people, God helps people overcome their sins through humility. Although God cannot abide in sin or listens to the prayers of sinner, Jesus Christ who became sin for us provided a way for us to be reconciled to God in spite of our sins. As a believer, this is how God still responds to you even though you sin. Be praying for you.

Love,
Madeline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.