bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When does "all" mean all?  (Read 4576 times)

thetruthisoutthere

When does "all" mean all?
« on: November 10, 2006, 03:10:21 AM »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so be gentle! :)

In some research I was doing, I came across the verse about the love of money being the root of all evil (1 Tim. 6:10).  After some further research, I realized that many translations note this as "all kinds of evil...", but still the same Greek word (pas G3956) is used as in 1 Tim. 2:4.  Given the importance of this verse, I was hoping to get some feedback and clarification on this.

Thanks!

Bert

YellowStone

Re: When does "all" mean all?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 08:24:29 AM »

Bert asked:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so be gentle!

In some research I was doing, I came across the verse about the love of money being the root of all evil (1 Tim. 6:10).  After some further research, I realized that many translations note this as "all kinds of evil...", but still the same Greek word (pas G3956) is used as in 1 Tim. 2:4.  Given the importance of this verse, I was hoping to get some feedback and clarification on this.

This is a great question Bert and one that ties in very well with the recent discussion of "Absolute" vs "Relative"

Lexicon Results for pas (Strong's 3956) "All"

1) individually
    a) each, every, any, all, the whole, everyone, all things, everything

2) collectively 
    a) some of all types   

• "the whole world has gone after him" Did all the world go after Christ? "then went all Judea, and were baptized of him in Jordan." Was all Judea, or all Jerusalem, baptized in Jordan? "Ye are of God, little children", and the whole world lieth in the wicked one". Does the whole world there mean everybody? The words "world" and "all" are used in some seven or eight senses in Scripture, and it is very rarely the "all" means all persons, taken individually. The words are generally used to signify that Christ has redeemed some of all sorts -- some Jews, some Gentiles, some rich, some poor, and has not restricted His redemption to either Jew or Gentile ...
    C.H. Spurgeon from a sermon on Particular Redemption

I think one can make the assertion that money is not evil, but this is not the point that is being made. Rather it is "the love of money being the root of all evil"

This of course presents the word ALL in a completely new light :)

Interestingly, there is only one usage of the word: φιλαργυρία (Strong's # 5365) used in the entire Greek Scriptures.

Strong's # 5365
φιλαργυρία   (Love of Money)
- Etymology:  from 5366;
  + Definition: avarice
- KJV usage:
  :--love of money.

But taken in context the term (in my opinion) means "loving money over God."

The Greek wrod rhiza {hrid'-zah} meaning ROOT serves as a witness to the preceding contention :)

Strong's # 4491
rhiza {hrid'-zah}
  1) a root
  2) that which like a root springs from a root, a sprout, shoot
  3) metaph. offspring, progeny

It is my understanding that "love of money" (and the power it has in this world) is like a root springs from a root, a sprout, shoot and once it takes hold, it is very difficult love God over that of the money.

Jesus spoke of the problems that money presented in Mathew:

Mat 19:24
  • And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Mat 6:24
  • No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other;   or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (money - NIV).

So returning once more to the word "All" I will let you decide whether or not you feel its usage is absolute or relative (I believe it is the latter) But either way, the term does not distract from the underlying message

We all know that we need money in order to provide for our families and loved ones; however, we should never put our quest for "survival" over that of God, why? Because he will provide for us. :)

Mat 6:31-33 
  • 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
  • 32  (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
  • 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

I hope this helps :)

Love Darren
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 08:39:08 AM by YellowStone »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 08:45:19 AM »

Good morning Bert and Darren,

This needs to be seen in spiritual terms as well as physical, Darren brings up valid points in regard to how money can twist some people's priorities, but it (money) is something we have to deal with and be concerned about as we live in this world, like fire or electricity it can be used for good or evil, it can build and it can destroy. The key is what is in the heart, what is the motivation in obtaining money, spending money, hoarding money, lusting for more money to greedily seek to get your neighbors "riches" by any means?

Spiritually "mammon" covers much more than gold and silver, it relates to our spiritual condition, do we consider ourselves "rich" and in need of nothing, like some in Babylon? Or are we "poor in spirit" seeking Him constantly because we know our poor, weak, (spiritual) wretchedness. We understand we are never "rich" without His Spirit, He is the Treasure!

I believe Gary addressed this very well in another thread, I will copy it here;

Re: Slaves to Sin
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2006, 07:36:17 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Mat 6:24)  No one is able to serve two lords; for either he will hate the one, and he will love the other; or he will cleave to the one, and he will despise the other. You are not able to serve God and wealth.

This is an interesting verse, have you looked at the definitions of the words, hate, cleave and despise here.

G3404
μισέω
miseō
mis-eh'-o
From a primary word μῖσος misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension to love less: - hate (-ful).

G472
ἀντέχομαι
antechomai
an-tekh'-om-ahee
From G473 and the middle of G2192; to hold oneself opposite to, that is, (by implication) adhere to; by extension to care for: - hold fast, hold to, support.

G2706
καταφρονέω
kataphroneō
kat-af-ron-eh'-o
From G2596 and G5426; to think against, that is, disesteem: - despise.

Also, look at the word 'wealth' with its definition and spiritual applications.

G3126
μαμμωνᾶς
mammōnas
mam-mo-nas'
Of Chaldee origin (confidence, that is, figuratively wealth, personified); mammonas, that is, avarice (deified): - mammon.

Who are the ones that were given much wealth and chosen above all the other nations in the bible?  Lazarus and the rich man, with Rays article should let us know who the 'rich' are, with the law that they 'trust' in.

Coming out of babylon, now seeing that it was impossible for us to please God through the law, but through faith in obedience.  It is not possible to spirtually see and follow Christ, while under the law. 

(Gal 4:21)  Tell me, those desiring to be under Law, do you not hear the Law?

(Gal 4:22)  For it has been written, Abraham had two sons, one out of the slave woman and one out of the free woman.

(Gal 4:23)  But, indeed, he of the slave woman has been born according to flesh, and he out of the free woman through the promise,

(Gal 4:24)  which things are being allegorized, for these are two covenants, one, indeed, from Mount Sinai bringing forth to slavery (which is Hagar,

(Gal 4:25)  for Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, and she slaves with her children),

(Gal 4:26)  but the Jerusalem from above is free, who is the mother of us all;

(Gal 4:27)  for it has been written, "Be glad, barren one not bearing; break forth and shout, the one not travailing; for more are the children of the desolate rather than she having the husband." Isa. 54:1

(Gal 4:28)  But, brothers, we are children of promise according to Isaac.

(Gal 4:29)  But then, even as he born according to flesh persecuted the one according to Spirit, so it is also now.

(Gal 4:30)  But what says the Scripture? "Cast out the slave woman and her son, for in no way shall the son of the slave woman inherit with the son of the free woman." Gen. 21:10

(Gal 4:31)  Then, brothers, we are not children of a slave woman but of the free woman.

These words are true even today, the ones desiring to be under law persecute those according to Spirit.  Flesh, law, son of the slave woman, and if you can see 'rich' are these who are under the wrath of God.  Spirit, grace, son of the free woman, and if you can see 'poor' are those who are under the righteousness of God.

(Mat 5:3)  Blessed are the poor in spirit! For theirs is the kingdom of the Heavens.

(Mat 19:21)  Jesus said to him, If you desire to be perfect, go sell your property and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven; and come, follow Me.

(Luk 6:20)  And lifting up His eyes to His disciples, He said: Blessed are the poor, for the kingdom of God is yours.

(Luk 6:21)  Blessed are those hungering now, for you will be filled. Blessed are those weeping now, for you will laugh.

(Luk 6:22)  Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they cut you off, and will reproach you, and will cast out your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man;

(Luk 6:23)  rejoice in that day, and leap for joy; for, behold, your reward is much in Heaven! For their fathers did according to these things to the prophets.

(Luk 6:24)  But woe to you, rich ones, for you have your comfort!

(Luk 6:25)  Woe to you, those having been filled, for you will hunger! Woe to you, those laughing now, for you will mourn and lament!

(Luk 6:26)  Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for their fathers did according to these things to the false prophets.

(2Co 8:9)  For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that being rich, He became poor for your sake, so that you might become rich by the poverty of that One.

(Rev 3:17)  Because you say, I am rich, and I am made rich, and I have need of nothing, and do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.

(Rev 3:18)  I advise you to buy from Me gold having been fired by fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, and your shame and nakedness may not be revealed. And anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.

(Rev 3:19)  I, as many "as I love, I rebuke and I chasten." Be zealous, then, and repent. Prov. 3:12

(Rev 3:20)  Behold, I stand at the door and knock: If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will enter to him, and I will dine with him, and he with Me.

Sorry for the length, but necessary scripture for the explanation.  Can you all see this?

God bless,

Gary

I hope this helps.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

brothertoall

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 09:47:35 AM »

Very good thread here. I am no greek scholar and many things can go over my head and I can be a real tard sometimes but you do not have to look far to see the evil that the love of money can do.

All evil concerning the LOVE of money can be listed and I will give a few for if I were to list them ALL there would not be enough room on this entire forum to put them.

1. Selfishness
2. Greed
3. Materialism
4. Hate
5. Superiority
6. Pride
7. Murder
8. Deciet
9. Adultry
10. Prostitution

I think you all get the idea. Please feel free to add to the list of ALL evil and if you think on this you will be surprised just what the love of money means when compared with ALL evil.

Thank you Bert for posting and and you did very good my friend and this thread got me to thinking.

love to you brother,

bobby
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:50:03 AM by brothertoall »

Kat

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »

Hi Bert,

This topic is very significant, because money is apart of all of our lives.
Darren, Joe and Bobby's post all explain this very well.

I think Joe's point, 'the key is the heart', is dead on.
I have this scripture to add, along that line of thinking.

Matt 6:21  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

If our heart is set upon riches, is there room for the Word.

Mar 4:19  and the cares of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

YellowStone

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 03:27:29 PM »

Kat responded with the question:

If our heart is set upon riches, is there room for the Word?

Mar 4:19  and the cares of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

Kat, once again you find the perfect Scripture for the occasion. :)

More and more I am beliving that the Word of God as given to us through the Scriptures is all that we need. With God's given ability to understand it of course.

Love,

Darren

thetruthisoutthere

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:05:46 PM »

Thanks for everyone for their input.  It was very enlightening.  Isn't it amazing how much meaning are in just a few words of Truth?

Good day to all,

Bert
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.