bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 5665 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Stocks
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:28:21 PM »

Dear Ray:

Is it okay for a believer to invest in the stock market, bonds, mutual funds, CD's, and all the rest?  Thanks...

Dean

Dear Dean:
It is not possible for me to answer your question properly, as I believe it would depend on numerous factors.  The Stock Market is a form of legalized gambling.  I will paraphrase Andrew Tobia from his book: The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need.  He said something like this:  When you bet that you will get 21 in Blackjack, that's gambling;  when you bet that your team will win in football, that's gambling, when you bet that a certain horse will come in first, that's gambleing, but when you bet that a certain stock will go up, THAT'S BUSINESS; see the difference?
God be with you,
Ray

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: Stocks
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:02:15 PM »

Dear Dean:
Someone has suggested that I was too narrow on my answer to your questions on stocks and bond. I certainly do not wish to be responsible in any way for someone making an unwise choice in investing in the market. The term "playing the market," comes to mind. However, this is not to say that looking at long term investment rather than short term killings would not be proper and more rewarding than just keeping one's money in a low-interest savings account.  It is not a sin to "invest."  Jesus Himself used a parable to show how foolish it is to not put your money to work for at least the interest it would accumulate. There are certainly better investments than bank interest, however. Real Estate has historically been one of the best investments (yet people have lost money there also).  Didn't mean to steer you wrong
God be with you,
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.