bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Punish?  (Read 7115 times)

hillsbororiver

Why Punish?
« on: November 24, 2006, 12:54:12 PM »

In a conversation with someone who can best be described as agnostic I was struck by the insight (that he really did not realize he had) within his question "Why would a God punish people when He was the One who created them in the first place, if He supposedly knows everything about everything why didn't He know people were going to screw up?" This was one of his points in not believing (especially) in the God of the bible.

What struck me was how many "Christians" don't ask this question more emphatically or in most cases at all.

I explained to my aquaintance that the classic or conventional definition of "punish" is not really what God does, especially forever. That it would be better described as chastise, correct, instuct, castigate, etc. He thought this more reasonable and that it actually made some sense, but of course the next question was "then how come nobody else (the churches) teach that?

We had an interesting conversation, who knows where it will lead.

Hebrew

H3256
יסר
yâsar
yaw-sar'
A primitive root; to chastise, literally (with blows) or figuratively (with words); hence to instruct: - bind, chasten, chastise, correct, instruct, punish, reform, reprove, sore, teach.

H6064
ענשׁ
‛ânash
aw-nash'
A primitive root; properly to urge; by implication to inflict a penalty, specifically to fine: - amerce, condemn, punish, X surely.

H6485
פּקד
pâqad
paw-kad'
A primitive root; to visit (with friendly or hostile intent); by analogy to oversee, muster, charge, care for, miss, deposit, etc.: - appoint, X at all, avenge, bestow, (appoint to have the, give a) charge, commit, count, deliver to keep, be empty, enjoin, go see, hurt, do judgment, lack, lay up look, make X by any means, miss, number, officer, (make) overseer have (the) oversight, punish, reckon, (call to) remember (-brance), set (over), sum, X surely, visit, want.

Greek

G2849
κολάζω
kolazō
kol-ad'-zo
From κόλος kolos (dwarf); properly to curtail, that is, (figuratively) to chastise (or reserve for infliction): - punish.

G2851
κόλασις
kolasis
kol'-as-is
From G2849; penal infliction: - punishment, torment.

G2009
ἐπιτιμία
epitimia
ep-ee-tee-mee'-ah
From a compound of G1909 and G5092; properly esteem, that is, citizenship; used (in the sense of G2008) of a penalty: - punishment.

G5098
τιμωρία
timōria
tee-mo-ree'-ah
From G5097; vindication, that is, (by implication) a penalty: - punishment.

G1557
ἐκδίκησις
ekdikēsis
ek-dik'-ay-sis
From G1556; vindication, retribution: - (a-, re-) venge (-ance), punishment.

The above are some of the Hebrew/Greek words that were translated into "punish."

Actually the word punish even in English is broader than;

1 a : to impose a penalty on for a fault, offense, or violation b : to inflict a penalty for the commission of (an offense) in retribution or retaliation
2 a : to deal with roughly or harshly b : to inflict injury on : HURT
intransitive verb : to inflict punishment
(I think this is what comes to most minds when the word "punish" is used.)

Synonyms listed were;  CHASTISE, CASTIGATE, CHASTEN, DISCIPLINE, CORRECT

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe 

YellowStone

Re: Why Punish?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 02:24:33 PM »

Joe was asked:

What struck me was how many "Christians" don't ask this question more emphatically or in most cases at all.

[/i]

Joe you gave a wonderful answer; however, I think the real answer to why "christians" don't ask such questions has more to do with embarassment than anything else.

Speaking from experience, only "those" whom God chose, ever truly understood such concepts as the question you were asked. Therefore, asking such a question would automatically indicate that one was not chosen and did not have Christ in them.

By the way, the following Scripture did not help:

2Ti 3:16
  • All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

:)

Church as I remember it reminds me of a song: "Don't rock the boat......."

Love to all,

Darren

I was told this many times and to add salt to injury, I was told that it was not up to "them" to teach me something God didn't want me to know. :(

Do you begin to see the fatalistic doctrine of the so called church. They cannot teach the "truth" because they simply do not have it, so the only alternative is the doctrine of eternal damtaion (punishment.) Now is it any one why the average church goer keeps such questions to themselves?

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 03:02:12 PM »

I believe that the Church indoctrinates us not to question them about anything under threat of their severe punnishment  ;D

If we are seen to be starting to think then we are quickly made to be known as the outcasts, the demon possessed or the heretics. ;D

Woe to us if we start to speak. Then we get the persecution :D

Then if the light dawns on us we are outright rejected  :D

This is no way to follow after Christ for the average Christian who has been taught to belong, to be comfortable and to be appreciated rather than chastised, persecuted and hated. :-\

We have to learn how to be chastised and not rebell, we have to learn how to be persecuted and not fold up, we have to learn how to be hated and forgive and pray in return. What Church teaches that? If they did they'd have no following ;D

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:04:18 PM by Arcturus »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 06:19:02 PM »

Thanks for the input Darren & Arcturus,

I certainly can see and agree with what both of you said. What struck me the most about the conversation was that here we have an unbeliever (he said he has never embraced any faith) who asks such a pertinent question yet many of the "called" will not even consider it. I know none of us can be certain of exactly how and when the Lord calls His people, but observing this contrast was another eye opener.

We are admonished not to be timid and to seek and we will find but this lack of growth (as far as spiritual knowledge goes) gives testimony to the scriptures that constantly refer to the spiritually dead.

Thanks again,

Joe

Nancy

God gives wisdom to unlearned!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 06:41:56 PM »

Hi there,

I too had an insight of God from my plumber.
We were talking about his son who had died and it got onto the subject of the afterlife and he said that he didn't want to go where an evil person was going which was obviously to God, as there is no where else to go!!!  He seemed to be saying that God is everywhere so there is nowhere that God is not! And this is from a man who says he was an agnostic and didn't even believe in an afterlife!
Out of the mouths of babes!
God bless
Nancy

ned

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 10:49:21 PM »

CEV Rom 8:19-23 
In fact, all creation is eagerly waiting for God to show who his children are.
Meanwhile, creation is confused, but not because it wants to be confused. God made it this way in the hope
that creation would be set free from decay and would share in the glorious freedom of his children.
We know that all creation is still groaning and is in pain, like a woman about to give birth.
The Spirit makes us sure about what we will be in the future. But now we groan silently, while we wait for God to show that we are his children. This means that our bodies will also be set free.

This verse came to mind while I was reading this thread.

:) Love,
Marie

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 08:34:12 AM »

This is fascinating....

described as agnostic...
from your post Joe

a man who says he was an agnostic ...from your post Nancy

Question in relation to the council you bring us Joe...We are admonished not to be timid and to seek and we will find but this lack of growth (as far as spiritual knowledge goes) gives testimony to the scriptures that constantly refer to the spiritually dead.

Is the agnostic plumber who spoke to Nancy and the person who you spoke to perhaps among those who are called out of Mystery Babylon?....Are these the one's called to life from out among those who are spiritually dead? What I am saying here is shouldn't we see beyond the labels that they carry...Agnostic, Atheist etc and see their call out of Babylon which is pretty exciting.
Are these not perhaps Agnostic against the religious spirit and Atheist against Mystery Babylon?....

It is wonderful that we do not jump to any negative conclusions about our  Agnostic or Atheist brothers and sisters when in fact they may be more alive than the dead who being gathered together and buried beneath  white washed sepulchres in Mystery Babylonian Christendom. The insights they share may point to their aliveness in spirit that is still unclothed in knowledge and truth which is so rare. Their desire to remain separate to world religion and the world view of who God is may reveal that they are more alive than dead.

I am not advocating a rebellion against the truth. I do not say that to be Agnostic or Atheist is correct. I am asking, is it perhaps a path into knowledge of the truth and is this perhaps why God put these people on your path.

If we look beyond labels, is this not the way to see. For example. Many Buddhists imitate the nature of Christ in many ways. Once Christ removes the idol of their hearts being devoted to a religion in name and a man named Sidhartha, will they not see how much they are like Christ and then rejoice to the glory of God and the defeat of their idols and worship of a man.  I don't know.

Maybe I should not think so much   ::)

What do you think?

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 09:37:42 AM »

In a conversation with someone who can best be described as agnostic

We had an interesting conversation, who knows where it will lead.

Good morning Arcturus,

I think you are absolutely correct, we should not shrug our shoulders and walk away from someone who declares themselves an unbeliever but at the same time is seeking to discuss the Lord in a respectful exchange of ideas. Debating with an antagonistic person whether they claim to be "saved," agnostic or an atheist is rarely if ever fruitful.

The Lord very well may be starting His call to these people, they are unable to recognize His voice yet, but He is quite capable of grabbing anyone's attention as He sees fit, at some point in time.

Amen to your verses Marie.

Yes Nancy, it is very possible that your plumber and my aquaintance are hearing a small voice on the horizon and can't quite make it out just yet.

Thank you all for the responses,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 10:45:53 AM »

Thank you Joe

Again you crystalize my thoughts and my searching for clarity is put to rest and peace.

gmik

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 01:03:45 PM »

Are there people who are the chosen, elect who do not speak English and therefore cannot read Ray or us.  Can any be elect and not believe what Ray teaches??  Are there elect Hindis or Buddhists or atheists who may never hear the gospel??

Or to put it an other way.   Are only those who are chosen & elect and will be in the first resurrection just those who were in church but were dragged to this site and have left "babylon" now that we know the truth??

Another thing I have wondered is, the oldest manuscripts that have been translated are still a couple hundred years after Jesus and Paul, so how do we know that that Greek is faithful to the Greek in Jesus' time.  Did anyone besides Josephus write "about" Jesus and Paul?
I don't even think he mentioned them but made obscure references about this new sect.

I am just in a down mood. (see my other post today)

Thanks, if anyone has any thoughts about all this.

gena

Kat

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 05:37:04 PM »

Hi gmik,

Well of course there were people being brought to the knowledge of the Truth before Ray came along  :)
There is no way to know if there are people around the world having their eyes opened,
I believe there are.
The Bible is in most languages, and Christ can reveal His Truth to anyone whenever He so chooses.
But scripture does say, called (into the churches) chosen (eyes opened) and faithful (endures to the end) Rev 17:14.

God has preserved the scriptures just the way He wanted to, by whom He chose and how.
Have you ever thought about why the scripture are so complicated and hard to understand and why Jesus spoke in parables?
It is not meant for most to understand, so God wants it to be the way it is.
God has made it possible for people to have plenty of reasons to doubt,
so that He could lead the few He chooses to His one and only Truth, that is hidden in plain sight.

Well, that is what I think  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 04:00:45 PM »

It is not meant for most to understand, so God wants it to be the way it is.
God has made it possible for people to have plenty of reasons to doubt,
so that He could lead the few He chooses to His one and only Truth, that is hidden in plain sight.

Well, that is what I think  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

AMEN!

Great post Kat, sometimes we seem to blur the fact that there are times and seasons for everything, Christ the Firstfuits, then His elect to work with Him to bring all creation to the Father.

What a glorious plan, it feeds the hope of our spirit as it should humble us, I pray that I (we) should be counted among those who will be a part of it.

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 05:31:35 PM »

Ditto to that!   ;D

sansmile

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • my beautiful grandchildren
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 07:29:04 PM »

Kat,

Just feeled pulled to say, you have been so blessed sister by God. What wisdom you show.

God Bless You, keep up your posts ,because through God using you, you (and i don't think you realise) really do help edify us others.

Sansmile (sandie)
Walk in the Spirit

hillsbororiver

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 01:19:59 PM »

While looking for something else I rediscovered this, thought it would be a very good fit here;

PUNISHING VS. CHASTENING

While considering all of the hellfire and brimstone material disseminated by Christian teachers, preachers, writers, and educators around the world, just how many hundreds of times do you suppose the word "punishment" is used in the entire New Testament with regards to sinners? Hundreds? Would you believe less than fifty? Would you believe less than ten? Would you believe ONCE? That’s right, the answer is one time.

"Of how much more punishment [Gk: timoria], suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and has done despite unto the Spirit of grace?" (Heb. 10:29).

I can assure you that those who have committed the above crime towards the Lord are few indeed. Most of humanity that will be judged in the lake of fire have NEVER EVEN HEARD of Jesus Christ, let alone, "trodden under foot the Son of God, and counted the blood of the covenant, an UNHOLY thing, and done DESPITE unto the Spirit of grace." Most have never even heard of such sins, let along committed them.

This is a most powerful Scripture to be sure, but it does not speak of "eternal" punishment, and it is the ONLY SCRIPTURE IN THE ENTIRETY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT that uses the word "punishment" with reference to punishing sinners!

There are three other places in the KJV that the word "punish" or "punished" is used correctly. They are Acts 4:21; 22:5; and 26:11 where it Saul (later Paul) is punishing not sinners, but members of the church, the followers of Christ.

II Thes. 1:9 should be translated, "eonian extermination" and not "punished ... everlasting."

II Peter 2:4 & 9 should both be "chastening" as it is the same Greek word kolazo and not timoria which means punish.

The KJV uses "punished" in verse nine, which should be "chasten," and ironically it doesn’t even translate the Greek word kolazo (chasten) in verse four -- the KJV translators left it out completely. I suppose the translators thought that it was redundant to say, "chastening judging." But then again, they didn’t bother to look at II Cor. 2:6 which should read "rebuke" (another Greek word, epitimia), not "punish."

And lastly, I Pet. 2:14 should read "vengeance" ( still another Greek word, kdikesise), and not punishment.

So in the case of "punishment" we have but ONE Scripture to deal with, and we will deal with it.

This next fact doesn’t necessarily "prove" anything, it’s just the way my mind works. Jesus Christ said:

"O generation of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the ABUNDANCE of the heart the MOUTH SPEAKS" (Mat. 12:34).

I think we all understand that statement: What is heaviest and most dominant on out heart is what we talk about the most.

Now then, my observation. We learned of the one time that punishment is used in reference to sinners. Would you all be interested in knowing how many times the opposite of punishment is used? Okay, the word "mercy" (-ies, -iful) is found in the Bible over THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY times! Could it be that the "abundance of God’s heart" consists of many more MERCIES than it does of vengeance and punishment?

Where do you suppose we find nearly a hundred of these occurrences? That’s right, in the writings of King David. No wonder blind Bartimaeus ...

"began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou Son OF DAVID, have MERCY on me" (Mk. 10:47).

God promised to give His Son "... the sure MERCIES OF DAVID" (Acts 13:34). You see, David’s heart spoke such an abundance about God’s mercies, that God said of him:

"... I have found DAVID the son of Jesse, a man AFTER MINE OWN HEART which shall fulfill all my will" (Acts 13:22).

Three hundred and thirty to ONE! Probably doesn’t mean a thing. Just an observation.

By the way, even among those who love the doctrine of eternal torment, no Scripture in the Old Testament has ever been brought forth which even vaguely defends their theory.

PUNISHMENT AND THE GOSPEL

For all those who have never heard the real Gospel of God, here it is:

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that brings good tidings, that publish peace; that brings GOOD TIDINGS [that means gospel] of GOOD [not evil tidings of a Lord who administers infinite acts of eternal terrorism], that publishes SALVATION [not DAMNATION] ... The LORD hath made bare His holy arm in the eyes of ALL THE NATIONS [that’s the whole world], and ALL THE ENDS OF THE EARTH [that’s everyone] SHALL SEE THE SALVATION OF OUR GOD" (Isa. 52:7 & 10).

I am wondering if most of my readers have ever even heard of this verse or knew that it is in their Bibles.

Now I am aware of the many Scriptures that speak of death, destruction, and perishing of wicked people. And we won’t forget the one Scripture with regards to punishment. All those Scriptures are true. They are not, however, God’s final judgment on the wicked. The final judgments of God will bring salvation to all and there are no scriptures that contradict those saving declarations of Almighty God. God has declared it; He has spoken it; His Word has gone forth: He has willed --

"Who WILL have ALL men to be SAVED, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth" (I Tim. 2:4).

Here then is a declaration of God from His own inspired Word. It is found in all Bibles and in all languages on earth for all too see and believe. But the Church of Babylon has tried to destroy this declaration and make it of no effect in the minds of millions and millions of people around the world. They teach that this verse and declaration of Almighty God WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN! Well, be it known, that they LIE!

Here’s what God says about His own words and His own declarations.

"So shall MY WORD BE that GOES FORTH OUT OF MY MOUTH [as in I Tim. 2:4 and a hundred Scriptures like it]; it shall NOT return unto me void [unfruitful, negated, ineffective, ineffectual, inoperative, invalid, null, worthless, vain, unsuccessful], but it SHALL ACCOMPLISH THAT WHICH I PLEASE, AND IT SHALL PROSPER [bear fruit, benefit, do well, flourish, increase, multiply, progress, make good] in the thing whereto I sent it" (Isaiah 55:11).

Oh, the audacity and blasphemy of those who proudly teach that God cannot and will not ever accomplish His own will, save five percent! Does Isaiah 55:11 sound like only a FIVE PERCENT gospel that Christendom is preaching around the world for TEN PERCENT of your money? Like those who crucified our Lord, they know not what they say, and God will forgive them too. But for those who are ready to learn and believe, let’s see how God answers such utter foolishness:

Remember the former things of old:
For I am God, and there is none else;
I AM GOD, and there is none like Me,
"Telling from the BEGINNING, the HEREAFTER,
And from AFORETIME, what has NOT YET been done,
Saying, ‘ALL MY COUNSEL SHALL BE CONFIRMED,
And ALL MY DESIRE WILL I DO.
Calling from the sunrise, a bird of prey,
From a land far off, the man of My counsel.
Indeed, I SPEAK! INDEED, I WILL BRING IT ABOUT!
I formed. Indeed, I WILL DO IT" (Isaiah 46:9-11).

Nothing can hinder God’s words or declarations. Even the things that are perceived to be hindrances to God’s will (such as the lake of fire and the second death), are not hindrances at all, but rather are the very instruments for the accomplishment of His will. God has a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT GOSPEL, AND IT’S FREE!

Read the entire article here;

http://bible-truths.com/lake3.html

Joe
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 10:49:56 AM by hillsbororiver »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.