bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Divinity School?  (Read 4890 times)

sj

Divinity School?
« on: December 14, 2006, 03:41:55 PM »

Hi.

I have a quick question. Earlier this morning this email and ray's response were posted on the forum:

Dear Ray,

Praise God for His sovereign hand. I am back with my parents and beginning the road to healing from a unhealthy and abusive church of high control. Now that Im back, I would like to seriously pursue studying the scriptures, however as you know, many theological schools and seminarys hold to a particular teaching. So what schooling, if any, should I pursue? What literature?

In Him,
    Joed

ps When is your next conference?

Dear Joed:
    I suppose that there are many fine schools in which you can learn Hebrew, Greek, Church HIstory, etc. I know of no schools that teach the truths of God's word as we do on bible-truths.com.  If I did, I would let you know and would certainly be affiliated in some way with them. I use several Bible translations, e-Sword as a replacement for Strong's Concordance, The Englishman's Hebrew and Greek Concordances by Wigram, and that's about it. I read adn reread the Scriptures.  I pray for understanding. When God gives it to me, I write about it.

We have not set a date for our next Bible Conference yet, but we always post it at the top of our home page months in advance.

God be with you,
    Ray

My question is.... every since I was in high school my desire has been to go to divinity school... but now I see a danger in attending a school in this type of setting...

All of my education, except for two years at a public junior college have been in private christian institutions.

I graduated with my 4-year a year and a half ago from an assemblies of God university, I went to high school at a southern baptist private school... I believe God has used all of these places to help me see the contradictions between the teachings of christianity and the Bible...

Now I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision... I'm interested in studying the biblical languages as well as social work/mental health counseling....

I guess I'm just curious to see what everyone's opinion is on going to this type of school?

Thanks in advance.
Josh

YellowStone

Re: Divinity School?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 05:24:04 PM »

Josh,

I cannot offer you any advice for your choice has to be between you and God. I am no theologian but like you did attend private Christian shools for a while. I also attended various churches and denominations, all in search for an allusive answer to a seemingly, very simple question: "How will I know the truth?"

At the time, I was always asking God, "What is it I am not getting?"  :)  I bet I'm not the only one who has been there. However, God made it very easy for knowing the truth, by making it very clear when it wasn't. I found the truth when I first visited Bible-Truths, kind of makes sense considering the name. :)  But in all honesty, I found answers to my many questions and these answers aligned with my own, even though I only felt that they were right and I could never prove it or find anyone to agree with me.

Since that day I have learned so much more, some of which was simply mind boggling, like: "God will save Satan" I had to work on that one for quiet a while, but I think God has removed my blinders so now I can see. :)

However, where once I could and would gladly hop from church to church, seeking some semblance of truth, that desire is gone now. This is not to say that I never go to church, it's just that I am not "looking" for anything anymore.

Sorry for rambling :)  I think if you feel that you still have things you need to learn, like Hebrew, Greek, ect. Then go for it, just be careful and keep God and his truth close by.

I'm not sure how much help that was, but you might get something out of it. :)

Love,
Darren

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 07:45:12 PM »

When you start the process of applying to a major seminary or divinity school, you will be given ample time to proclaim your understanding of God and the universe. 

It is YOU who will be interviewing THEM.  Always keep that in mind and choose the place that fits right and provides you with instruction rather than indoctrination[/u] (read: I have met a few "Bible School" graduates through the years).  A good school will provide you with tools to find answers -- not necessarily the answers themselves.  Stick with well-respected institutions who churn out the kind of person you want to be.

There are many ways of serving God and many ways to understand Him.  Each person has a different and very personal relationship to the Almighty.  Find the place that allows you the freedom to challenge and be challenged.

How about the books you read that help you understand Him?  Look up the authors and see where they went.  As with many things of God, it is a very personal decision.

I have a policy about not giving personal details over the internet -- but, I wish I had received this advice some 30 years ago (Is my handle a hint?)!

Good Luck

Peace
[/font][/color]

Chris R

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 11:05:12 AM »

Hi Josh,

This excerpt from the Concordant is a very interesting read, While we should "study to show thyself approved" [This verse ends with this quote] "unto God".

For only as sound principles of translation are followed can an accurate translation be made. Most believers, however, give little attention to such matters. Few seem to realize that various translations of scripture, for all their similarities, differ in many particulars, often in matters of great consequence. Most allow such important considerations to recognized authorities, to whom they defer in judgment.

It is true that authorities, experts in their field, agree on many points. Yet it is just as true that, especially in issues of theological significance, authorities differ widely among themselves. Men of great learning, of high intellect and ability, are still flesh; they are still failing, mortal sinners even as we are. Besides, however learned, such ones can still be proud, stubborn, or simply unenlightened as to certain vital issues. It is foolish, then, to accept as true what certain authorities may say, especially when we have not carefully considered the views of other differing opinions.

It is not that each one of us must become expert in one or more broad fields of learning within theology, philosophy, or language before we can hope to judge any certain matter correctly. Nor is it that we must canvas the entire field of opinion, throughout all history, before we can decide even the simplest questions. Instead, we need only discern what is truly at issue, While such judgments, indeed, require competency, God, in His own time, is able to make us competent, that we might, by His grace, not only hold correct positions, but objectively know that we do so.

God has appointed certain ones within the ecclesia who serve with a view toward the adjusting of the saints for the work of dispensing, for the upbuilding of the body of Christ, unto the end that we should all attain to the unity of the faith and of the realization of the son of God, to a mature man . . . that we may by no means still be minors (Eph.4:11-14).

Beyond those specifically named in Scripture, it is vain to speculate concerning the identity of such servants. But it is the part of wisdom to believe that God does give such ones to us. In His own time whether at present or in the coming eon–those who are apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers, will succeed in the work which, under Christ, God has appointed unto them (cp Rom.10:15; 14:4; Col.1:6,7). [concordant]

Peace   

Chris R

sj

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 03:15:07 PM »

Let me just say that I appreciate each of you as well as your replies...

Darren,

I too have been asking for along time... "what am I missing?" I've struggled for a while with that the majority of what I have seen and experienced in "the local church" was so far removed from anything I had ever encountered in the gospels. I stopped attending church about 6 months ago when I realized that for the previous year all I had done was come to a building and read my bible while someone one else hooped and hollered from a pulpit.

Like I said, I have a 4-year degree in "pastoral theology" and nowhere to truly put it to use. I currently work for a mental health facility with young boys, but am interested in becoming a chaplin for hospice, which requires a mDiv...  like you, in the last year I have learned such a great deal, I feel like such a great weight has been lifted from my shoulder, now I am searching for the appropriate place to put it to use to help others.

Pax Vobiscum,

Good to meet you! You sound as though you may have attended seminary or a divinity school? The two I am interested in are Candler at Emory and Vanderbilt Divinity, just curious if you knew anything about either...?

Peace be with you also =)

Chris R.

Thank you for your reply. Many of the things you stated are the reasons I am a bit anxious about attending these schools. A few years ago I was positive that I was one called to be a preacher/pastor... now I am simply desiring to learn the truth of God and am searching for an occupation that will allow me to care for those in need. I'm not sure what God has "appointed me to do" but I am slowely searching it out... thank you again for your reply.

God's Peace
Josh

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 05:26:45 PM »

I think either of those options will get you a first-class opportunity.  Nashville's hard to beat, tho!

Good Luck,

Peace

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 05:57:13 AM »

Hello Chris R

"unto God".  That insight was for me a mega pearl of wisdom. MEGA. It also reminded me of the caution and sober reminder found in Galations 1 : 10...am I trying to win the favor of men, or of God?

I believe that the While we should "study to show thyself approved" [This verse ends with this quote] "unto God". is a match for Galations 1 : 10 second witness and important reminder of how to check our motives! A real realitiy check! A conviction and reminder to keep my eyes on Christ alone. A much needed encouragement. Thank you.

Arcturus  :)

buddyjc

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 06:59:55 PM »

Yeah Chris that spoke to me too.  It's funny how we miss those little 'gems.'  We are not looking to be approved of men, but of God.  It's truly important to keep Christ our main focus.

God Bless,
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 16 queries.