bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jesus cleaning out the Temple twice?  (Read 8060 times)

hillsbororiver

Jesus cleaning out the Temple twice?
« on: December 18, 2006, 04:49:51 PM »

In reading the different accounts of Jesus dealing with the merchants in the Temple it appears that John was speaking of a time earlier in Jesus's ministry than what was recorded in Matthew, Mark and Luke. I believe this cleansing of the Temple twice fits perfectly with how we (the temple of God) lose our first love and need to be broken down and humbled once again if we are to be counted worthy of Him.

We are cleansed when we first are called, then we fall back, when we realize this, when He decides it is our time to come out of Babylon we are cleansed (or begin the cleansing process) once again.

John 2

12After this he went down to Capernaum, he, and his mother, and his brethren, and his disciples: and they continued there not many days.

13And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

14And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:

15And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

16And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

17And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.
     (Psalm 69:9 For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.)

Matthew 21

12And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,

13And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Mark 11

15And they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves;

16And would not suffer that any man should carry any vessel through the temple.

17And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.

18And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine.

Luke 19

45And he went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold therein, and them that bought;

46Saying unto them, It is written, My house is the house of prayer: but ye have made it a den of thieves.

47And he taught daily in the temple. But the chief priests and the scribes and the chief of the people sought to destroy him,

48And could not find what they might do: for all the people were very attentive to hear him.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

DWIGHT

Re: Jesus cleaning out the Temple twice?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 05:38:01 PM »

I never looked at like that before Joe, but in real life that's what happened to me and I'm sure to all of here.

Dwight

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:26:00 AM »

Dwight,

Sounds alot like in Revelation where Jesus is talking to the Church of Ephesus of how they broke from their first love.

That is a good way to look at these Scriptures, I had not thought of that before.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 08:25:36 AM »

Hello Dwight & Anne,

I never paid much attention to the chronology of 4 Gospels account(s) of Jesus cleaning out the Temple of merchandisers, money changers, etc. I had pretty much assumed it was the same event, but if you read John it is quite evident that Jesus was beginning His ministry in John and nearing the end in Matthew, Mark & Luke.

This "falling away" and being restored theme runs through the OT and NT, I had never seen it in this scripture previously. I thought it was interesting.

Joe 

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 02:52:58 PM »

2 Chronicles 36

5Jehoiakim was twenty and five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD his God.

6Against him came up Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and bound him in fetters, to carry him to Babylon.

7Nebuchadnezzar also carried of the vessels of the house of the LORD to Babylon, and put them in his temple at Babylon.

Being cluttered with the lusts and greed of this world tend to bring us to Babylon, only our Lord can purify us and bring us out.

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 06:26:10 PM »

Ezra 5

14And the vessels also of gold and silver of the house of God, which Nebuchadnezzar took out of the temple that was in Jerusalem, and brought them into the temple of Babylon, those did Cyrus the king take out of the temple of Babylon, and they were delivered unto one, whose name was Sheshbazzar, whom he had made governor;

15And said unto him, Take these vessels, go, carry them into the temple that is in Jerusalem, and let the house of God be builded in his place.

16Then came the same Sheshbazzar, and laid the foundation of the house of God which is in Jerusalem: and since that time even until now hath it been in building, and yet it is not finished.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 09:29:29 AM »

Ezra 9

1Now when these things were done, the princes came to me, saying, The people of Israel, and the priests, and the Levites, have not separated themselves from the people of the lands, doing according to their abominations, even of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Jebusites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, the Egyptians, and the Amorites.

2For they have taken of their daughters for themselves, and for their sons: so that the holy seed have mingled themselves with the people of those lands: yea, the hand of the princes and rulers hath been chief in this trespass.

3And when I heard this thing, I rent my garment and my mantle, and plucked off the hair of my head and of my beard, and sat down astonished.

4Then were assembled unto me every one that trembled at the words of the God of Israel, because of the transgression of those that had been carried away; and I sat astonished until the evening sacrifice.

5And at the evening sacrifice I arose up from my heaviness; and having rent my garment and my mantle, I fell upon my knees, and spread out my hands unto the LORD my God,

6And said, O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift up my face to thee, my God: for our iniquities are increased over our head, and our trespass is grown up unto the heavens.

7Since the days of our fathers have we been in a great trespass unto this day; and for our iniquities have we, our kings, and our priests, been delivered into the hand of the kings of the lands, to the sword, to captivity, and to a spoil, and to confusion of face, as it is this day.

8And now for a little space grace hath been shewed from the LORD our God, to leave us a remnant to escape, and to give us a nail in his holy place, that our God may lighten our eyes, and give us a little reviving in our bondage.

9For we were bondmen; yet our God hath not forsaken us in our bondage, but hath extended mercy unto us in the sight of the kings of Persia, to give us a reviving, to set up the house of our God, and to repair the desolations thereof, and to give us a wall in Judah and in Jerusalem.

10And now, O our God, what shall we say after this? for we have forsaken thy commandments,

11Which thou hast commanded by thy servants the prophets, saying, The land, unto which ye go to possess it, is an unclean land with the filthiness of the people of the lands, with their abominations, which have filled it from one end to another with their uncleanness.

12Now therefore give not your daughters unto their sons, neither take their daughters unto your sons, nor seek their peace or their wealth for ever: that ye may be strong, and eat the good of the land, and leave it for an inheritance to your children for ever.

13And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this;

14Should we again break thy commandments, and join in affinity with the people of these abominations? wouldest not thou be angry with us till thou hadst consumed us, so that there should be no remnant nor escaping?

15O LORD God of Israel, thou art righteous: for we remain yet escaped, as it is this day: behold, we are before thee in our trespasses: for we cannot stand before thee because of this.

Kat

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 11:11:26 AM »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for bring forward these scripture.
It has helped me to see the spiritual aspect that is in the OT.
I found these scripture and thought it would fit in with this as well.

Neh 7:1 And it comes to pass, when the wall has been built, that I set up the doors, and the gatekeepers are appointed, and the singers, and the Levites,
Neh 7:2 and I charge Hanani my brother, and Hananiah head of the palace, concerning Jerusalem--for he [is] as a man of truth, and fearing Elohim above many-.
Neh 7:3 and I say to them, `Let not the gates of Jerusalem be opened till the heat of the sun, and while they are standing by let them shut the doors, and fasten, and appoint guards of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, each in his guard, and each over-against his house..
Neh 7:4 And the city [is] broad on both sides, and great, and the people [are] few in its midst, and there are no houses builded;"
Neh 7:5 and my Elohim puts it unto my heart, and I gather the freeman, and the prefects, and the people, for the genealogy, and I find a book of the genealogy of those coming up at the beginning, and I find written in it:-.
Neh 7:6 These [are] sons of the province, those coming up of the captives of the removal that Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon removed--and they turn back to Jerusalem and to Judah, each to his city-.

I like the part 'these are the son of province...they turn back to Jerusalem'  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 11:32:23 AM »

Yes Kat, the verses you quote fit perfectly.

The calling of His own.

The falling away into Babylon.

Restoration.

His plan for His people.

What keeps fascinating me to no end is how scripture has many layered treasures, pearls of Wisdom. More than one lesson there are many intertwined within His Word, yet the themes are consistently underlined.

His Peace and Wisdom to you.

Joe

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 01:20:40 PM »

;D Beautifully and simplistically stated.  ;D  I am going to have to write that down as one of the moe poetical descriptions of the bible that I have up to date.

Thanks Joe.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

iris

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 02:19:58 PM »

I agree with you anne  :D

This was beautifully and simplistically stated  ;D

Joe...was wondering if you thought there was

a literal layer in that many layers of treasure?

Iris

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 02:24:01 PM »

Anne,

Thank you for the generous and kind words. Here is more of what I have been meditating on recently;

Zechariah 6

12And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:

13Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.

14And the crowns shall be to Helem, and to Tobijah, and to Jedaiah, and to Hen the son of Zephaniah, for a memorial in the temple of the LORD.

15And they that are far off shall come and build in the temple of the LORD, and ye shall know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you. And this shall come to pass, if ye will diligently obey the voice of the LORD your God.

I remember those who preached and wrote about looking out for "signs and wonders' would teach that the building of the 3rd Temple would be a sure sign of our Lord's imminent return.

The Spirit of the Lord is, was, & will be building this 3rd Temple in His chosen, He is cleansing and purifying His Temple according to His purpose. To the ultimate glory of God.

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 02:42:32 PM »

I agree with you anne  :D

This was beautifully and simplistically stated  ;D

Joe...was wondering if you thought there was

a literal layer in that many layers of treasure?

Iris

Hi Iris,

I see you posted as I was writing my last entry, the short answer to your question is yes.

The Lord uses physical, literal experiences and history to show us greater spiritual truths, "first the physical, then the spiritual." But this is not exclusively true, He also uses parables and symbolic language to spiritually communicate, teach and admonish His people, those that "have ears to hear."

I hope this answered your question.

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 05:58:45 PM »

From "The Lake of Fire" Part XIII;

THERE MUST COME A ‘FALLING AWAY’ FIRST

I have shown you that John, Paul, Peter, ALL of the apostles, the whole church in Asia, the Seven Churches of Revelation, the entire flock of God’s called, all built their houses upon spiritual sand—in other words EVERYONE ever called by God, falls, falls down, falls away.

The Proverb tells us that, "For a just man falls seven times…" That’s a COMPLETE fall. But strange as it may seem, this is necessary in God’s plan. What happens to a just man after he falls seven times? "…and RISES UP AGAIN" (Prov. 24:16). When he completely falls, he falls from grace. But for those whom God is both calling AND choosing, they will RISE UP AGAIN, for

"Who are you that judges another man’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Yes, he shall be holden up [made to stand up]: for God is able to MAKE HIM STAND" (Rom. 14:4).

We will ALL FALL! But afterwards, God "raises us UP AGAIN," and "makes us STAND." And from that time onward we have this sure promise of which we read before, but I want to read again:

"Now unto Him that is able to KEEP YOU FROM FALLING, and to present you FAULTLESS before the presence of His glory with EXCEEDING JOY, To the Only Wise God Our Saviour, be glory and majesty, and dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen" (Jude 124-25)!

When John’s spiritual house built upon the sand fell down, he was left, standing on the sand of the sea by himself alone with God, and it is then and only then, that he is able to see the wild beast that came up out of the sea.

This wild beast is further identified in Rev. 13:14 when we are told this

"…beast, which had the wound [deadly wound, Ver. 3] by the sword, and DID LIVE."

The entire article can be read here;

http://bible-truths.com/lake13.html

Joe

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.