bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Word of the Day  (Read 31454 times)

rrammfcitktturjsp

December 27, 2006 - Word of the Day
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »

Hi to all.

Once again the daily installement.  This word was pretty cool.

vertiginous \ver-TIJ-uh-nus\ adjective

1 a : characterized by or suffering from vertigo or dizziness b : inclined to frequent and often pointless change : inconstant
*2 : causing or tending to cause dizziness
3 : marked by turning : rotary

Did you know?
"It is generally necessary to avoid crowded rooms and the vertiginous influence of the dance," one 19th-century medical work advised. We're not sure what condition this advice was aimed at, but it may well have been "vertigo," a disordered state characterized by whirling dizziness. "Vertiginous," from the Latin "vertiginosus," is the adjective form of "vertigo," which in Latin means "a turning or whirling action." Both words descend from the Latin verb "vertere," meaning "to turn." ("Vertiginous" and "vertigo" are just two of an almost dizzying array of "vertere" offspring, from "adverse" to "vortex.") The "dizzying" sense of "vertiginous" is often used figuratively, as in "vertiginous medical discoveries may drastically change life in the 21st century."
[/color]

You all have a good one. 

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

December 28, 2006
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 02:00:15 PM »

Hi to All,

Here is the Word of the Day.

The Word of the Day for December 28 is:

inculcate \in-KUL-kayt\ verb

: to teach and impress by frequent repetitions or admonitions

Example sentence:
More than anything, Don and Gloria try to inculcate in their children the importance of treating others the way they wish to be treated themselves.

Did you know?
"Inculcate" derives from the past participle of the Latin verb "inculcare," meaning "to tread on." In Latin, "inculcare" possesses both literal and figurative meanings, referring to either the act of walking over something or to that of impressing something upon the mind, often by way of steady repetition. It is the figurative sense that survives with "inculcate," which was first used in English in the 16th century. "Inculcare" was formed in Latin by combining the prefix "in-" with "calcare," meaning "to trample," and ultimately derives from the noun "calx," meaning "heel." In normal usage "inculcate" is typically followed by the prepositions "in" or "into," with the object of the preposition being the person or thing receiving the instruction.

Enjoy,

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

December 29, 2006 - Word of the Day
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 01:45:35 PM »

Hi to All,

It is amazing how often the word of the day applies to this forum.  Here's another example of somthing that we were called out of.

Enjoy.

pell-mell \pell-MELL\ adverb

1 : in mingled confusion or disorder
*2 : in confused haste

Example sentence:
Autograph seekers rushed pell-mell into the hotel lobby in an effort to meet the famous actress.

Did you know?
The word "pell-mell" was formed through a process called "reduplication." The process — which involves the repetition of a word or part of a word, often including a slight change in its pronunciation — also generated such terms as "bowwow," "helter-skelter," "flip-flop," and "walkie-talkie." Yet another product of reduplication is "shilly-shally," which started out as a single-word compression of the question "Shall I?" "Pell-mell" traces to the Middle French "pelemele," which has the same meaning as the English "pell-mell."

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

longhorn

Re: Word of the Day
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 05:28:06 PM »

I used to smoke 2 packs of unfiltered pell-mells a day... Oh, Im sorry, those were Pall malls.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 07:32:25 PM »

Longhorn,

Thanks so much.  This has not been a good day, but your post made me laugh.   ;D  Laughter is the Best Medicine.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 1, 2007 - Word of the Day
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2007, 03:33:43 PM »

Happy New Year's to All,

Here's the word of the day.  This fits with this day.

"fatidic \fay-TID-ik\ adjective

: of or relating to prophecy

Example sentence:
I hope the dream I had last night about losing my wedding ring doesn't prove fatidic.

Did you know?
As you might guess, "fatidic" is a relative of the word "fate." The Latin word for fate is "fatum," which literally means "what has been spoken." "Fatum," in turn, comes from "fari," meaning "to speak." In the eyes of the ancients, your fate was out of your hands — what happened was up to gods and demigods. Predicting your fate was a job for oracles and prophets. "Fatidic" is "fatum" combined with "dicere," meaning "to say." That makes "fatidic" a relative of the word "predict" as well; the "-dict" of "predict" also comes from Latin "dicere.""
[/color]

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 02, 2007 Word of the day
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 10:00:36 AM »

To all,

I love this word and the fact that it fell on my birthday today.

"riot act \RYE-ut-AKT\ noun

: a vigorous reprimand or warning — used in the phrase read the riot act

Example sentence:
When Chris arrived late to class again, the teacher read him the riot act for not being more punctual.

Did you know?
Many people were displeased when George I became king of England in 1714, and his opponents were soon leading rebellions and protests against him. The British government, anxious to stop the protests, passed a law called the "Riot Act." It allowed public officials to break up gatherings of 12 or more people by reading aloud a proclamation, warning those who heard it that they must disperse within the hour or be guilty of a felony punishable by death. By 1819, "riot act" was also being used more generally for any stern warning or reprimand. Although the law long ago fell into disuse and was finally repealed in 1973, the term that it generated lives on today."

Hope you all have a great day.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hebrewroots98

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 09:56:56 PM »

Anne, I'm glad your'e so WORDY. ;)  I like wordy people; i never get bored and always learn something from them; thank you. :D

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 11:11:16 PM »

Susan,

Nothing gives me a bigger thrill than to open up my e-mail and see that there are new posts on this forum and my daily word of the day.  Now that is life LOL.   ;D

Glad someone gets a joy out of it.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 03, 2007 - Word of the Day
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 01:14:53 AM »

To All,

Here is the word of the day for January 03, 2007. 

"The Word of the Day for January 03 is:

hazmat \HAZ-mat\ noun

: a material (as flammable or poisonous material) that would be a danger to life or to the environment if released without precautions

Example sentence:
When asbestos was discovered, the company called in a hazmat team to identify and remove all of it.

Did you know?
The origin of "hazmat" is clear enough — it was formed by combining the first three letters of each of two words: "hazardous" and "material." The word "hazmat" is fairly young, first appearing in print in 1980. Although it is a noun, "hazmat" tends to be used attributively, meaning that it often appears in sentences before another noun as if it were performing the duties of an adjective (as in "hazmat team" and "hazmat worker")."

NOTE:  Susan asked me if she could post the word of the day tomorrow.  And I said yes.  So look into it.  I will give you a hint.  It is a word that has to do with the fear of homework.  Stay tuned for tomorrow's word.

<Exits stage and waits for Susan's entrance."

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

longhorn

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 01:36:49 AM »

My Boss's name is Frank Glover (real name).  He owns a large feed mill here in M.t. Pleasant.  My family has known his family for 40 yrs.  His son Mathew has now taken over the company, and he is a real jerk.  Good thing for us though is he is real lazy and dosen't get to the plant until late in the Am, which gives all of us an opportunity to slack off a bit.  We may be country folk, but we do have enough sense to have a person who's job it is each and every morning ring the cow bell when they see Matts  flatbed truck pulling into the parking lot.  Sometime the noise from the grain conveyor belts makes too much much noise and we cant hear the cow bell, and we all have to ask each other HAZ- MATT made it here yet.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

John

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 01:40:16 AM »

I am familiar with hazmat. It stands for 'hazardous material'. When I transport hazardous material such caustic soda, a chemical used in the offshore oil industry, we have to have the hazmat manifest onboard for that material to be legal and in order to know what are the dangers and precautions/actions to take if an accident occurs with hazmat materials.

Peace,
John

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 01:40:56 AM »

Longhorn,

Hah.   :D :D :D :D I love your puns on the word of the days.  I am a mathematics major and puns are the highest form of humor to us mathematicians.  I'lll supply the word and you supply the laugh.  Everyone wins.

Hey, gotta question.  Can you send me a chicken coop and some firescrackers so I can try out that thing you said on another post?   ;)  I want to wish the New Year in with a bang.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 04, 2006 - Word of the Day
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 03:31:42 PM »

To All,

Susan has asked me to post this post becuase her computer is on the blink.  So I am posting for Susan via proxy.

Today's word of the day is one that I had never heard of until Susan told me last night.  This was so unique that I have adopted it as a word of my own and can hardly wait to use it.

The word is - omeoorkophobia  - fear of doing homework.  Susan said she got this off a scholastic bookmark.  Hey Longhorn, if you can make a pun out of this one I will be so impressed and entertained for the day.

You all enjoy.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 07, 2007 - Word of the Day
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2007, 12:38:59 PM »

To all,

I am only going to share with you the cool words so that was why I have not posted anything in the last two days.  The words were very common and not unusual.

Today's words is so cool.  It is Latin and I LOVE Latin. 

Here is is.

vox populi \VOKS-POP-yoo-lye\ noun

: popular sentiment

Example sentence:
It's too early to determine with certainty just how much influence the vox populi will really have on the new governor's policy decisions.

Did you know?
"Vox populi" is a Latin phrase that literally translates as "the voice of the people." It can be found in the longer maxim, "Vox populi, vox Dei," which means "The voice of the people is the voice of God." Many people think that expression means that the people are always right, but it really implies that the will of the masses — right or wrong — is often irresistible. Since the mid-1960s, English speakers, especially British ones, have trimmed "vox populi" down to the abbreviated form "vox pop," an expression used particularly for popular opinion as it is used and expressed by the media.

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

gmik

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2007, 07:27:50 PM »

Gee, I have a class full of students with omeorkophobia!!  For real!
gena

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 12, 2007 - Word of the day
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2007, 03:48:42 AM »

To All,

Here's a rather old word that I found that was interesting.

"bluestocking \BLOO-stah-king\ noun

: a woman having intellectual or literary interests

Example sentence:
Now that Aunt Sarah has retired from teaching college English, she fulfills the role of bluestocking by holding literary teas for students at her home.

Did you know?
In mid-18th century England, a group of ladies decided to replace evenings of card playing and idle chatter with "conversation parties," inviting illustrious men of letters to discuss literary and intellectual topics with them. One regular guest was scholar-botanist Benjamin Stillingfleet. His hostesses willingly overlooked his cheap blue worsted stockings (a type disdained by the elite) in order to have the benefit of his lively conversation. Those who considered it inappropriate for women to aspire to learning derisively called the group the "Blue Stocking Society." The women who were the original bluestockings rose above the attempted put-down and adopted the epithet as a name for members of their society."

Enjoy,

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2007, 03:50:09 AM »

To All,

I am only going to post the more interesting word of the days.  On some of the days they have been common words that are used frequently.

I have been dying to start a poll and so I am going to start a poll in reference to the word of the day.  Please see the poll.

Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 22, 2007 - Word of the Day
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 08:10:47 AM »

To All,

Finally an interesting word of the day.  It is the opposite of increment.

Here goes.

"decrement \DEK-ruh-munt\ noun

*1 : a gradual decrease in quality or quantity
2 : the quantity lost by diminution or waste

Example sentence:
The participants in the sleep deprivation study experienced a decrement in cognitive abilities as the night wore on.

Did you know?
Even if you've never seen "decrement" before, you might be familiar with "increment," a word for the action or process of increasing or for something that is gained or added. "Increment" arrived in English, after a rather circuitous route involving Anglo-French, from the Latin verb "increscere," meaning "to increase." So it should come as no surprise that "decrement" derives from the Latin verb "decrescere," meaning "to decrease." Both words can be traced further back to the verb "crescere," which means "to grow." Like "increment," "decrement" can also have the (much rarer) mathematical sense of "a change in the value of one or more of a set of variables," but "increment" is used for both positive and negative changes, and "decrement" only for negative ones."
[/color]

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

longhorn

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 05:35:31 PM »

True story  ;)    Of the few neighbors I have out here in the country, Lula Walker (real Person), is probably my favorite.  Not because Lula is a female and just happens to be single like myself, but Lula is one of the few that I can count on day or night if I should need help with something out here on Longhorn ranch.  Farming is not a easy life, and certainly not for a woman.  The thing I admire most about Lula is for the 15 years I have known her, she refuses to be influenced or controlled by modern technology, (taking the easy way out so to speak).

Me, Im taking the easiest way out and around any and all situations. Here are a couple of examples. 

Laundry-  Me Maytag washer and dryer.  Lula- scrub-board and lye soap.

Preparing the garden soil for planting season- me, John deer tractor with stainless steel tilling blades-  Lula- Rusty old hand-made tills pulled behind two mules, Nail, and Butcher(real animals).

The examples are endless, but you get the picture, Lula is content with the simple life.  Go over to Lula's farm anytime of day, and chances are pretty dang good you will find her hard at work somwehere around the farm in her old Smitty's overalls, and a pair of old worn out leather work boots.  Come to think of it, in the 15 years Iv'e known Lula, I don't rightly recall seeing her in anything else but her old work clothes. 

But all that changed last weekend.  Saturday, when I rode the 4-wheeler over to see how Lula was managing in all the bad winter weather, a bowl of homeade stew and hot apple cider with a spritz of "Jack", and conversation quickly turned to the big Saturday night "Titus County Jamboree" honoring old man Lucas Fartenberry(real person).  Since neither Lula nor I had nothing better to do, we decided to make it a date.  I was to pick Lula up at 7:00 pm sharp.

With my jeans starched stiff as a board and my new wrangler western shirt, cowhide boots and a Stetson staw hat in perfect sync, I splashed on a dash of Old Spice, and off to courting I go.  After bringing Old Blue(ford pickup) to a stop in front of Lula's, I take one last look in the rear view mirrow, and began honking the horn to signal my arrival.  After the 7th or 8th honk Lula finally makes her way outside.

As Lula makes her way down the rickity old wooden steps, I see a sight that shocks me to the very core, like a lightning bolt strike directly to to obdula oblongata of my brain.  Lo and behold, Lula is wearing a DRESS, not only that, but it came all the way up to the top of her knees exposing a pair of "Bluestockings".  Aware and slightly amused at my reaction, with a slight grin on her face Lula proudly boast, What do you think of my dress and "Bluestockings"?  and the only answer I could muster was, I think I just decremented in my pants..... and then it rained.

Love in Christ

Longhorn
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.