bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Word of the Day  (Read 31451 times)

rrammfcitktturjsp

Re: Word of the Day
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »

Longhorn,

I sure was not expecting the end of that story.  I love what you do with the word of the days.  I nearly decremented myself after laughing so hard and loud reading your post.  Keep up the good work and we will see what tomorrow holds for us.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Kat

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2007, 07:12:39 PM »

Hi Longhorn,

I want to say it was like watching an old western movie in my mind, as I read that story of yours.
You are one heck of a story teller, I loved it  8)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

iris

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2007, 09:25:04 PM »

Longhorn, you are one funny guy!!!  :D

That was soooooooooooooo funny!  ;D   ;D   ;D

Iris         

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 02:03:46 AM »

Proverbs 17 :22 A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing

If anyone has got the medicine bottle of laughter in this Forum it is you Longhorn!

What a picture! ;D

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

John

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 11:13:15 AM »

Does anyone else hear the voice of 'mater' from the movie Cars when reading Longhorns stories?  ;D

Longhorn, Mater makes the movie great! When asked what his name is he replies ..'Mater,...Toe..mater without the toe'

Peace,
John

rrammfcitktturjsp

Word of the day for January 23, 2007
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2007, 11:26:37 AM »

To ALl,

Well today's word is very unusual.  I had not heard it.  I am not posting it for definition 1, rather for no. 2

"pettifogger \PET-ee-fog-ur\ noun

*1 : a lawyer whose methods are petty, underhanded, or disreputable : shyster
2 : one given to quibbling over trifles

Example sentence:
Charles Dickens's Uriah Heep was a complete pettifogger, an unctuous villain whose name became a byword for a falsely humble hypocrite.

Did you know?
In its earliest English uses, "pettifogger" was two separate words: "pettie fogger." "Pettie" was a variant spelling of "petty," a reasonable inclusion in a word for someone who is disreputable and small-minded. But why "fogger"? It may come from "Fugger," the name of a successful family of 15th- and 16th-century German merchants and financiers. Germanic variations of "fugger" were used for the wealthy and avaricious, as well as for hucksters. In English, a "pettie fogger" was originally a small-time operator of a shady business. We're not sure why the word came to be applied specifically to lawyers, but it appears to have initially referred to lower-status attorneys who argued the smaller, less important cases."

Enjoy,

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

longhorn

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2007, 10:28:47 AM »

Word of the day -  Pettifogger:

True story  ;) .......     For the last 10 years my best childhood friend has begged me to let him go deer hunting on my property.  Now before everyone get's all huffy, you all know that old Longhorn is an animal lover as can be proved by taking a look at the variety of critters roaming around the farm.   This past deer season I decided I would end a decade of "whinning and begging" and I would allow my best buddy to deer hunt down in south end of the pasture in the meadow.

Myself not being a hunter, I was not prepared for what I was about to see.  At 3:30 AM I hear the old familiar "backfire" from my old buddys rusted out 65 Ford pick-up.  Groggy and a little miffed about being woken up by a machine, I made my way to the front door.  The look on my friends face said it all, the old expression "Grin from ear to ear" held true that morning. ..... By the way, did I tell you my friends name... Harold Wayne Foggersberg (real person), I always called him "Fogger" for short.  I invited HWF in for some bad coffee and a stale day old doughnut.

Im not an expert on the propper attire of Big game hunters, but old Fogger looked like he was expecting to bag a grizzly or mabey a T-Rex, im not sure.  I gave him the "Rules for hunting" on my property speech which went in one ear and out the other, and told him whatever happens in those woods, I dont want to know about it.  As Fogger is walking out the door he turns and says to me Longhorn, why dont you come along and I can show you what fun you have been missing out on all these years.

Just as I was about to tell Fogger where he could go, an interesting thought came over me...why dont I go with Fogger and at the very least mabey I can scare off anything before he has time to play Rambo.    Through the meadow and into the woods we go.  Im not sure what was worse, his constant telling me to "ShoooSH" or his eagerness to kill some helpless animal.  Here we sit, for three dang hours hunkerd down by an old rotten fallen oak tree.

Long about 7:00 am I motion over to Fogger that I need to relieve myself from some of that mud coffee we had earlier.  HWF looks at me with rage in his eyes and says, if you have to go, do it on that old log next to you.  Well I did have to go, and after all it was my pasture, and my old log, so to heck with him, I let'er rip.  About half way into the relief process, I notice some strange movement in the hollow log.  Sure enouph, I picked the one log that was home to a very angry opossum.

Apparently not happy or either discussted by my scent, the angry opossum avoids me, and heads directly to an unsuspecting Fogger, and runs straight up his pants leg and latches firmly on his "Privates".  I doubt many on this forum have encountered an agry opossum that has just received a urine bath, but trust me folks, it aint pretty.  Like I was saying, old Fogger was in a heep of trouble and the look of sheer terror on his face, and the squill of pain in his voice was frightening to say the least, but at the same time a sence of JOY came over me.

Obviously having not practiced this type of emergency proceedure before, HWF panics and yells at me "Longhorn" what the heck do I do now.  As I try my best to look concerned and that I give a crap, I tell him, Im no expert on opossum removal, but if I were you I would "Pet-it-fogger"... and then it rained.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

brothertoall

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »

Longhorn,

You are a riot!!!!!! You have all the fun.

bobby

longhorn

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2007, 11:24:25 AM »

Trust me, Life is fun.

Longhorn

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 12:25:43 PM »

Longhorn,

I am very very glad that you bring what you do to this forum.  Yes life is way too fun.  I am going to copy these files to my computer.  I want to have them becuase I laugh so much, in case the forum crashes.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

Word of the Day for January 24, 2007
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2007, 12:44:02 PM »

To All,

THis was another wierd one.

"nonce \NAHNTS\ adjective

: occurring, used, or made only once or for a special occasion

Example sentence:
Lewis Carroll's nonsense poem "Jabberwocky" is chock-full of nonce words, but a few of his coinages, such as "chortle" and "galumph," have become established in our language.

Did you know?
"Nonce" first appeared in Middle English as a noun spelled "nanes." The spelling likely came about from a misdivision of the phrase "then anes." ("Then" was the Middle English equivalent of "the" and "anes" meant "one purpose.") The word was especially used in the phrase "for the nonce," meaning "for the one purpose," as in Geoffrey Chaucer's "Prologue" of Canterbury Tales: "A cook they hadde with hem for the nones / To boille the chiknes with the marybones." The adjective "nonce" did not exist in print until the publication in 1884 of the New English Dictionary on Historical Principles (which later became the Oxford English Dictionary). The editor of that dictionary, James Murray, created the term "nonce-word" as a label for "words apparently employed for the nonce." "
[/color]

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

DWIGHT

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2007, 09:55:15 PM »

Longhorn,

Think we could all come to your farm for some coffee and fellowship someday?  I haven't laughed that much in weeks....still laughing.
I'll bring the doughnuts!

Dwight

hebrewroots98

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2007, 12:56:40 AM »

FORGET WEBSTER; I VOTE FOR LONGHORN TO MAKE THE NEXT DICTIONARY, IT WOULD BE LOTS MORE FUN ;D ;D ;)

longhorn

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2007, 02:52:20 PM »

Word of the day:  "Nonce"

True story  ;)  (trust me, this is a TRUE story)

Some of yall might find this hard to believe, but old Longhorn didn't grow up using a rusty ol horse shoe as a teething ring, No, a long time ago I actually did have a "Real Life"  You know the old dream marrige , cant live without you, slobber all over each other, your the only one for me baby B.S... Yall know what Im talking about.  Anyways, I dont want to turn this into a " he said - she said" debate so I will just cut to the chase.  In all my years, I have not known a bigger "Liar" or story teller than my ex.

To make a life long story short, this is how the "DIVORCE" thangy magiggie went down( best I remember).  Of the 365 days in a year, she had to pick October 10th, the day before my beloved University of Texas Longhorns do their annual battle with the hatted (Inbred) rivals to the north, the Oklahoma Sooners. as the day to stand before the Judge and finalize all the "who gets what and all that stuff"..

Anyway, as I approach the bench in front of the honorable Hope Walker(real judge) p.s. I  "HOPE" she has burning hot soupy diarrhea 24 hrs a day ....  Oh well,  apparantly my ex had this divorce thing planed well in advance, because as Judge Walker reviewed the CAUSES for the Plantiff, they were as follows:

1.  Husband is a jerk, and if I knew then what I know now.

2. His Idea of a romantic evening consist of Beer, Sports (dosent matter) Pizza, Beer.

3. Dosent acknowlege his wife unless she is wearing a TEXAS football jersey (or not wearing one)

4. See reasons 1 through 3.

With a "Dung" eating grin on my face, and with my TEXAS baseball cap pulled firmlly down, I saunter toward the bench when Judge Walker ask me...  Longhorn, are these accusitions  by your wife correct.  I said you Honor , for  " NONCE " in her life Im pretty dang sure she's telling the truth... and then it rained. (hailed is more like it)

Love in Christ

Longhorn

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2007, 06:06:25 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D

You did it again.  Today's word was chivalry, but as we all know what that means, I will not post until another interesting word comes up.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

Word of the Day for January 26, 2007
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2007, 03:12:53 PM »

To all,

Here's the word of the day.

"legerdemain \lej-er-duh-MAYN\ noun

*1 : sleight of hand
2 : a display of skill and adroitness

Example sentence:
It was an impressive feat of legerdemain for Shane to take a dollar bill and instantly turn it into twenty nickels.

Did you know?
In Middle French, folks who were clever enough to fool others with fast-fingered illusions were described as "leger de main," literally "light of hand." English speakers condensed that phrase into a noun when they borrowed it in the 15th century and began using it as an alternative to the older "sleight of hand." (That term for dexterity or skill in using one's hands makes use of "sleight," an old word from Middle English that derives from an Old Norse word meaning "sly.") In more modern times, a feat of legerdemain can even be accomplished without using your hands, as in, for example, "an impressive bit of financial legerdemain.""
[/color]

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hebrewroots98

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2007, 10:24:39 AM »

Ah, that's where we get that saying from;  that goes waaay back.  Interesting.

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 27, 2007 - Word of the Day
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »

To All,

I really like this one, reminds me of the word quotient, and anything that reminds me of mathematics I like. 

"quotidian \ kwoh-TID-ee-un\ adjective

1 : occurring every day
*2 : belonging to each day : everyday 3 : commonplace, ordinary

Example sentence:
As an employee, Fiona is gifted at solving the difficult problems that arise from time to time, but she is often careless about the quotidian responsibilities of her job.

Did you know?
In Shakespeare's play As You Like It, the character Rosalind observes that Orlando, who has been running about in the woods carving her name on trees and hanging love poems on branches, "seems to have the quotidian of love upon him." Shakespeare's use doesn't make it clear that "quotidian" derives from a Latin word that means "every day." But as odd as it may seem, Shakespeare's use of "quotidian" is just a short semantic step away from the "daily" adjective sense. Some fevers occur intermittently — sometimes daily. The phrase "quotidian fever" and the noun "quotidian" have long been used for such "
[/color]

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 29, 2007 - Word of the day
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2007, 01:51:09 AM »

To ALL and especially Longhorn,

Here's the word of the day.  I love words beginning with x or z becuase they are very unusual and this one fits the bill.

"zaibatsu \zye-BAHT-soo\ noun

: a powerful financial and industrial conglomerate of Japan

Example sentence:
As owners of a zaibatsu with interests in the insurance and banking industries, the family's decisions had an undeniable impact on the Japanese economy.

Did you know?
"Zaibatsu" is a compound formed by the Japanese words "zai," meaning "money" or "wealth," and "batsu," meaning "clique" or "clan." The word refers to one of several large capitalist enterprises that developed in Japan after the Meiji Restoration of 1868 and that expanded rapidly during World War I. Each zaibatsu was typically organized around a single family and controlled interests in multiple areas, such as mining, foreign trade, textiles, insurance, and especially banks. While zaibatsus were dissolved during the Allied occupation of Japan following World War II (around the time the word entered English), many of the individual companies that comprised them continued to be managed as they had been, and the term has survived."
[/color]

Longhorn, make a story of this word and you will be the master story teller of them all.  I have been racking my brains in seeing how a story could be made with this word.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

January 30, 2007 - Word of the Day
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2007, 09:03:28 AM »

To All,

Well for a little change today.  Susan asked me to post this as the word of the day today and so here it is.

Wowser:

1.  Her definition:  a self-rightous stuck-up woman
     2.  Dictionary.com 's definitions - a uptight?, persnickety person

I kind of liked the word.  Gives me a new name to call the spinless preachers stuck in Babylon. ;D

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.