bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Word of the Day  (Read 32613 times)

longhorn

Re: Word of the Day
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2007, 02:34:39 PM »

Word of the day:   "Zaibatsu"

True Story  ;)            Ever since I can remember, Longhorn ranch has been sort of a mystical piece of land, sure it's size of 120 acres pales in comparison to some of the modern day big time beef cattle farmers, but within this 120 acres are some of the most unique features known to man.  The first being that the original rock or concrete road that ran from Texarkana to Dallas Tx runs straight through the middle of the farm, just 30 yards from the canalope and purple hull pea garden.

While most of the road is now overgrown with costal bermuda and various kinds of weeds, if one were so inclined, they, like many local folks and historians alike, could trace the famous "Fork in the road" which just so happens to be at the south end of the watermellon patch, and you would see for yourself where the "Fork" road slits, one going to Dallas, the other into the  worlds largest wasteland,(good for nothing) real eastate commonly known today as "Lubbock Texas"  ;)

2nd unique feature is original Rail road (RR for the lay persons) that stretches from Goergia to California, runs straight through Longhorn ranch dividing the sweet potatoes and ocra garden, from the turnup greens and onion garden, many a day have I waved at the conductor at the front of the train, hoed another 15 feet of weeds on the row of snap peas, wiped my brow, and waved to the enginer riding in the Kaboose.

3rd unique feature requires all on this forum to take an oath, those not willing please exit this post "NOW".   Oath... I hereby promise not to report my breathren Longhorn to any or all authorities as it relates to what we shall call the "Syrup Mill - (slash) Moonshine Still.  Now before everyone starts the "I knew that old Longhorn was nothing but a drunken fool" thread, allow me to explain.  Even as a small child spending the summers here at the ranch, I always wondered why my Grandfather who my entire family called "Big Daddy" (real person) and his neighbors Robert and Lula Allmen(real people) were always so happy when they were so poor and had NOTHING.

Anyways, best I recall for some strange reason, there was always a fire burning and either one of the two mules Nail and Butcher going around in circles pulling some type of harnessed devise in the sugar cane patch whitch produced a strang odor, kinda like rubbing alcohol, but mabey a mite stronger.  What was even stranger, at least now that Im alot older and wiser  ;)  was why did they "Hide" all that purified healthy "DRINKING WATER", (thats what they told me it was) from the neighbors who were struggling to get some old nasty water from a well, in a "Secret Cave" ?  ... 

Well stupid me, the "purified drinking water" was put in the secret cave for future use in case something should happen like for instance, a danged ol terroist attack, or something like what the Baptist call ARMEGEDON, I think thats means end of the world or something, but anyways, where was I?, Oh yea, 15 years ago right after my Grandfather (Big Daddy) died, the same year I became a free man (DIVORCED), I felt the smart thing to do was to move into the sacred confines of the now vacant Longhorn Ranch. 

Im not saying ol Longhorn here has always been the black sheep of the family, but lets just say I dont get the old personal invite to family social functions.  Anyways, to my utter supprise, shock, amazment, however the heck you want to say it, last summer my oldest sister Susie (real sister) showed up on the front porch with a "Good Will" basket complete with sweet potatoe pie, collard greens and onions, BBQ pork chops and homemade cornbread.  Before she can knock on the door it's opened and the "Fake" tearfull reunion begins. 

Twenty minutes (seemed like 20 hours) into the conversation, my sister "Susie" who for my entire life I called "SUE" ask me a very personal question, she says to me Longhorn, do you think there is a chance in HADES that you could show me the SECRET CAVE.  After taking a somewhat diffrent oath than the one yall have taken, I agreed to show her the secret cave.  Using only a small flashlight as to not disturb the GHOST OF SUGAR CANE PATCH, we sneek our way into the secret cave.  As we enter the cave, SUE ask me Longhorn, why does it smell like rubbing alcohol (Sue is a Nurse, so she knws the smell)  I say to her SUE, Im not a rocket scientist, nor do I portray one on T.V., but Im fairly certain that aint Rubbing Alcohol.

Before "SUE" can accuse me of trying to hide an old family secret, we hear a flutter of wings that stirs up a cloud of dust.  With SUE grabbing my arm and at the same time yelling at me Longhorn, Why didn't you tell me there were crows using this secret cave for a roosting site, and I said.....That isint a crow you silly "WOWSER"..... It's " Za bat Sue" ..... and then it rained.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »

Longhorn,

You gotta send some of that rain up here to Lubbock.  I am duly impressed.  Now that was pretty funny.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hebrewroots98

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2007, 09:42:25 PM »

Wowser, Longhorn!  You are the Texan of the Year; excellent story!!  We can't get anything over on you, can we?  (I love the one about  Lubbock being a wasteland; putting my old profession as a nurse as well as my name being put into your story.  ;D :o)  Are you sure that you don't have a position as a novel writer?  Maybe you missed your profession ;)?

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2007, 12:43:35 PM »

To All,

It has taken awhile for another interesting word to come up.  Here it is.  Enjoy.

"avoirdupois \av-er-duh-POYZ\ noun

1 : the series of units of weight based on the pound of 16 ounces and the ounce of 16 drams
*2 : weight, heaviness; especially : personal weight

Example sentence:
Michael's ample avoirdupois can be blamed on his fondness for rich sauces and fattening cheeses.

Did you know?
When "avoirdupois" first appeared in English in the 15th century, it carried a meaning of "goods sold by weight," which is also the meaning of its Middle English predecessor, "avoir de pois." That term derives from an Anglo-French phrase meaning "goods of weight." Today, "avoirdupois" most commonly refers to the system of weight measurement used for general merchandise, in which the pound is equal to 16 ounces, the ounce 16 drams, and the dram 27.344 grains. (Some other weight systems are apothecaries' weight, used to measure pharmaceutical items, and troy weight, used for precious metals.) It was Shakespeare, in his play Henry IV (1597), who first used "avoirdupois" to mean "heaviness"
[/color]

Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

PKnowler

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2007, 07:02:19 PM »

Ok here it goes in a sentence.

I really should go on a diet and get rid of all my baby avoirdupois.

Got to blame it on the baby!

~Paula  :D

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2007, 09:37:33 PM »

Paula,

Hah, Now that was a very good use of that word.  I lost weight when I was pregnant with my son.  Hopefully I can lose all those post partum pounds LOL.

Good to see you here having a good time.  Ahhhh fellowship is a wonderful thing indeed.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rrammfcitktturjsp

February 08, 2007
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2007, 02:19:37 AM »

To All,

Today's word of the day came from Susan.  We were sitting at a Broadway musical tonight and Susan came up with this word

1.  Commandeered - NOTE:  If mispelled, I apologize.

a.  to take over
   b.  to force a surrender
   c.  to make one's will take precendence over another

At the concert, Baby David commandeered Susan's sucker.  Any boy did he ever.  That boy loves cherry suckers.  It was so cute how he would just suck on it and wiggle his legs becuase he loved it.  One time Susan would take the sucker, and my little one would reach for the sucker and begin to cry. 

"Daniel commandeered the bed from Susan and she will have to sleep on the couch tonight." - not exactly as written but to the best of my memory.

I just love this word and it looks well so neat and symmetrical.  It is truly a word of asthetic beauty.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hebrewroots98

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2007, 10:57:47 AM »

Yep Anne, Baby David and Daniel both got over on this ole' gal last night!  What can I say ;)  I have never seen Baby David hold onto something for as long as he held onto that sucker, and he only dropped it on me once, but boy he was not gonna give that thing up for anyone, not even for Aunt Susan :'( :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P....and it is goooone!!!! ;D

PKnowler

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2007, 02:27:37 PM »

Fellowship is a good thing Anne!  :)

Awe how cute that Baby David commandeered Susan's sucker. I can just picture his delight as he sucks on it.
I know children love suckers! If I don't share my children commandeer my snacks as well. ha ha

Of course that was just an example of the word "commandeer" because I always share!  ;)
or lock myself in the bathroom to have a treat. :D What they don't know won't hurt'em!  :D

~Paula

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:34:40 PM by PKnowler »

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2007, 03:09:33 PM »

Paula,

I will have to remember this when David-Lee gets older and do this when I wish to eat on my chocholate stash.

<grins>

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

longhorn

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2007, 02:03:01 AM »

Word of the day:    "Commandeered"

True Story   ;)

Long before I moved to the farm here, this property was owned by my Grandfather Charlie, Bigdaddy is what we all called him.  I can remember as a youth spending entire summer vacations here while the majority of my childhood friends spent the summers doing BORING stuff like going to Disney World, or vacationing with thier family in Hawaii, you know stupid things like that.  Not me though, heck no, give me the smell of freshly cut hay, working 8 hours in the hot Texas sun planting gardens, slopping the hogs, helping feed all the livestock, you know, good ol country living.

My Grandfather"Bigdaddy" wasunt "your dang right wasunt" is a real word,,, anyway, Bigdaddy wasunt a wealthy man in terms of his bank account, but his was the richest person I ever knew.  Boy what I would give for just 1 more tractor ride through the pasture and down into the meadow with him.  Or just 1 more bowl of his hand churnned homeade ice cream, or just 1 more game of dominoes before going to bed.

In 1990 at the age 89, Bigdaddy's health forced him to move into my parents home in Hunt county, about 70 miles west of the farm.  For 2 years, the old house and barn lay vaccant, other than some owls who had made a nest in what used to be the old plowing mule "Nail's" favorite feeding stall, and a couple of stray cats that stayed under the front porch.

Well in 1992 all that changed.  After 12 years of riding the range together, me and Mrs Longhorn came to the conclusion that we could no longer graze in the same pasture any longer, so Mrs Longhorn took the house in the city, (come to think of it, she took everything), and Longhorn here decided to plant some new roots in old familiar ground, my first Love, the farm, today known simply as Longhorn Ranch.

Now I might come off as a bit of a gruff, but dont be fooled, ol Longhorn here has a tender side as is evident by what happened 5 years ago.  Only 2 times in my entire life have I been moved to tears  ;), one of those being when the first puppy I ever owned (Wuffums) got ran over by Mr. Barnett when I was 11 years old( I shot a hole through his window with a BB gun), and the other being when my Grandfather "Bigdaddy" died.

Now when you live as long as Bigdaddy did, a couple of things are certain, 1, your cemetary plot has been long paid for, and 2, most of your friends have either passed on or should have.  Bigdaddys final resting place was in the Farmers Acadamy cemetary next to the Millsted family plot under a big old oak tree.  Now as most of yall have kinda figured out, Longhorn here aint going to win any "Mr. Socialble Citizen" of the year awards anytime soon, but for this ONE day, I felt I owed it to Bigdaddy to be on my best behavior.

Growing up, I remember Bigdaddy telling me stories of how back in the old days, it was not unusual for there to be 7, 8, or even 9 or more siblings in a family, not because they were to stupid to know that babies come from playing "Park the tractor in the garage", but the reason for a large family was because living on a farm required alot of hard work, it was not a one man or woman job.  And such was the case for Bigdaddy's family,,,,  9 brothers, and 2 sisters.

Of Bigdaddys NINE brothers, I remember only three of them.  Samuel (uncle Sam), Virgil(uncle Virgil), and Bigdaddys youngest brother by 17 years, Millard(uncle Millard).  At the time of Bigdaddys death, only Uncle Millard was still alive.  I had only seen pictures of Uncle Millard because of the nine brothers, he was the only one that didnt have to work on the family farm, and was the only one to get a college education.

Yes millard was sent off to boarding school at an early age.  Even as a teen I can remember Bigdaddy showing me old family photos and noticing something rather strange.  All the other men in Bigdaddys family had dark brown hair, all except Uncle Millard.  Now I dont have one single thing against people with RED hair, but you know the old phrase, Id rather be dead than RED on the head.. Anyway, Uncle Millard looked like the male version of Strawberry Shortcake.  Whenever I asked Bigdaddy about this, he said he thought it might have something to do with when his mom used to deliver pecan pies to Mr. Morsels who lived across Sulphur Creek.

Anyway, where was I, Oh yes, the funeral.  A very small gathering, soon as Pastor Billy Craig had finished reciting Psalm 23 and my neighbor Lula Allman played a stirring rendition of "Little brown church in the Wildwood" on the banjo, I placed my carnation on Bigdaddys casket and made my way to my Ford pick-up.  Halfway between the truck and  the pit graveled road that circled the cemetary I noticed a elderly gentlemen sitting on a rotting old bench overlooking the Elmer Barrett family plot.

As I pass by, the rather fragil, but neatly dressed old man grabs my arm.  As I jerk away and resist the urge to thump his saggy ear lobe, he cries out... is that you Longhorn?  I spit my chaw of tabacco out and said yes Im Longhorn, then the old timer takes off his hat and says, didnt your grandaddy tell you about me, Im your uncle Millard.  As I mentioned earlier, I promised myself for this ONE day I would do my best to be on good behavior.

I said I remember Bigdaddy talking about you, and showing me your picture Uncle Millard, and before I could get the next word out he says to me...Please Longhorn, do me a huge favor, please just call me what Bigdaddy and all my other brotthers called me,,, just call me "Red".  Not wanting to be rude I asked Uncle Millard--I mean "RED" if he would like to come by the farm for a cup of coffee. After very little small talk, Uncle Millard-- I mean "RED" ask me Loghorn, do you think we could ride down in the pasture so I could see the meadow your Grandaddy always talked about?

through the pasture, under the tressel, across the creek between the hay barn and the syrup mill, we make our way into the meadow.  For five minutes neither of us speak a word, with tears running down his leathery cheeks, his says to me Longhorn, this ranch truely is heaven on earth.  As we make our way to the very far southern end of the meadow Uncle Millard screams at me STOP.  He jumps (more like crawls-falls) out of the pick-up, and points toward the small stream that seperates my property from Lulas place and Uncle Millard ( I mean RED) says to me Longhorn, do you see those Elk over ther getting a drink.  I said what?  He said those animals over there at the stream getting a drink, arent those Elk?  I said no, those are just plain old everyday "Common-deer-Red".  And then it rained.

Longhorn

This True story  ;)  is dedicated to my buddy Bobby 43.

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »

Longhorn,

Now that was funny.  Again it took a surprising turn that I was not expecting.  Common deer hah.

God bless you Longhorn.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »

Come on dear Red!........

Longhorn...what a turn of mind...... ;D  ;D I hope he stopped crying then! :).... :)

Peace to you

Arcturus

DWIGHT

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »

Longhorn,

Tom Sawyer and old Huk Fin, couldn't have said it any better. ;D ;D ;D

Dwight

hebrewroots98

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »

Longhorn,
Did Uncle Millet die from laughing right then and there? ;) ;D ;D  You certainly have a way with (country) words and you have a wonderful immagination! :o

Hi Bobby.

gmik

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2007, 12:17:42 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Unbelievable!!!!

iris

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2007, 10:12:18 PM »

Hi Longhorn,

That was a great story...
...and funny!!!  ;D  :D  ;D

Iris

DWIGHT

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2007, 11:06:12 PM »

Longhorn!!

Are you pulling our leg?  ;D ;D ;D

Dwight

rrammfcitktturjsp

February 12, 2007 - Word of the Day
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2007, 11:39:10 AM »

To All,

Oh I love this word.  I saw it and had to do the description of this word in r.t. <real time>  I hope it equally enjoyable to you all.

balneology \bal-nee-AH-luh-jee\ noun

: the science of the therapeutic use of baths

Example sentence:
Dori studied balneology in Europe and now applies her knowledge at a spa in California.

Did you know?
"Sure, the hot water feels good. Sure, the massage is nice. But it goes beyond that, advocates say." So wrote Ellen Creager in an article published on February 18, 2001 in the Detroit Free Press. The healing powers of mineral baths have long been touted by advocates like those mentioned by Creager. Though we've had the word "balneology" for just over 120 years, this method of treating aching muscles, joint pain, and skin ailments goes back to ancient times. Proponents of the science of bath therapy created the name "balneology" from the Latin word "balneum" ("bath") and the combining form "-logy" ("science"). Today, some medical institutes in Europe have departments of balneology. Modern "balneologists" impart their knowledge to, or themselves serve as, "balneotherapists," who apply their "balneotherapy" to grateful clients.
[/color]

Enjoy people and have a great week.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:40:43 AM by rrammfcitktturjsp »

hebrewroots98

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2007, 12:01:05 PM »

AHHHH, I think I shall  become a BALNIOLOGIST on this cold morning... <as she goes and makes an epsome salt bath> :o ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 16 queries.