bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Good Works" Question  (Read 5396 times)

M_Oliver

"Good Works" Question
« on: December 23, 2006, 10:19:32 PM »

Can good works as in...

In like manner, let your light shine before men,—that they may see your good works,—and glorify your Father who is in the heavens. (Matthew 5:16 Rotherham)

or

Faithful, the saying! And, concerning these things, I am minded that thou be strongly affirming, in order that they who have believed God may be careful to be forward, in noble works. These things, are honourable, and profitable unto men;  (Titus 3:8 Rotherham)

be as simple {or not so simple  ;D} as

Endeavor to present yourself to God qualified, an unashamed worker, correctly cutting the word of truth."  (2 Timothy 2:15 CLV) ?

I often feel like I am not doing enough to produce fruit {lack of opportunity is what it seems like} and then it dawned on me today that my almost constant study of the truth might just be those good works.  Curious as to what you all think on this subject.  Have you experienced this?

Mark

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 09:51:37 AM by M_Oliver »

rrammfcitktturjsp

Re: "Good Works" Question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 10:37:07 PM »

Mark,

What a great question.  I will tell you my two cents worth for what it's worth.

Work can be thought of at least from 2 angles.  Work you do and work that is done on you.  When others usually read those verses you quoted tonight, one usually thinks about outward works that people do to others, whether it be done with donating or cooking something for people.  Yet, one aspect of works that I think is more oftern overlooked and unheeded is the works done inwardly.  These are works of reading the bible, meditating on God's Word, communing with other Christains, and prayer.  Theses are private works that no one knows but you and God and whoever you share with what you are doing.

Do you remember that Scripture that says, If you are going to pray go into the innermost closet and pray before your Heavenly Father there.  Some works are not meant to be public but with you and God.  Your ephiphany is true.  Hmmm here's another Scripture, Study to show yourself approved.  I loved this post and it helped me, becuase I wish that we were better off financially so that I could help people.  The Lord knows your hearts and intentions, and he will honor them in His time.

I was telling someone about finding an oasis in the middle of the desert.  Right now, I am drinking in of the oasis so that I might one day be equipped better to do outward works.  I believe that you are in the right place and taking care of business so that you can do the outward works.  With finding Ray's site and the forum, I am experiencing this on a daily basis, and it is great.

I hope this did not sound like it was rambling, but I enjoyed posting.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

gmik

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 11:10:28 PM »

Hi,

I agree with you both.  Another angle is the "natural" vs "spiritual".  All kinds of people do good works and most can count as dung if not done in the spirit, led by the spirit, and in Love.

Look at all the inward, getting beast off the throne, being "real" with God, learning all the essays of Ray's, loving one another type things that we do.  I am sure they are "good works"
if we are being born of the spirit and the Lord is dragging us.

Paul had to learn the Gospel to the Gentiles for years.  I think I have a lot of maturing to do yet as well as much learning.  The hardest thing for me I think was giving up the tithe.  That "counted" as good works to me as well as a nice tax deduction.  Now to let the Lord lead is spiritual, done in private, no tax break and a little scary.

This is a good discussion I think for greater heads than mine.  I will be interested to see other takes on it.

love,
gena

YellowStone

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 12:16:49 AM »

Great question and awesome responses :)

I like the use of "Good" and "Noble" works in your scriptures Mark. Many incorrectly associate works based on the following Scripture.

Eph 2:8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

Eph 2:9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

But the above verse simply states that through the grace of God we are saved, not because anything we did or could ever do to earn it.

However, Paul gives us a very good example of good works in the following Scripture:

Tts 2:7-8 
  • In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine [shewing] uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
  • Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

So Mark, I think you are on the right track :)

Love
Darren

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 12:28:40 AM »

Gena,

Thanks so much for that added angle.  I will think about this some more.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Kat

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 01:14:47 AM »

Hi Mark,

I have thought the same thing about myself, that I should be doing something to produce fruit (works).
But I have come to realize, it is only by Christ that good works can be done through me.

John 15:5  I am the Vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

We will have good works if Christ is in us, that is what we are chosen for, but God will prepare us and give us the work to do.  

Gal 2:20  I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Eph 2:10  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.

I do not need to figure out what I can do to produce good works, if the Holy Spirit is indwelling then God will cause you to do the good works... I am certainly willing.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:15:21 AM by Kat »

iris

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 06:46:18 AM »

This has been such a good thread.

Thanks M Oliver for bringing this question up.  :)

It has helped me understand "good works" better. 

Iris

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 12:04:30 PM »

I have come to see good works as the same as good fruit from an apple or orange tree, the trees of themselves can take no credit or glory in the fruit they produce. Who planted the seed? Who provided the water and nutrition? Who pruned the branches?

If we are being led of the Lord and He is within us the motivation in our hearts will be to glorify Him when the season comes for us to produce good fruit, good works. More important than the outer manifestations (the works others see) is how we view and think about all of our brethren, the very same people Jesus loved first and sacrificed Himself for, if He is indeed in us we will have that same love for all, or at least be striving for it.

Great topic and thread!

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 04:22:39 PM »

I have learnt here at Bible Truths that our works are our thoughts words and actions! Now that could be good ;D or not so good :o

I enjoyed your exhortation insight Joe.  :)

Peace to you  :D

Arcturus :)

M_Oliver

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 07:07:29 PM »

Thank you everyone  ;D.  It really does come down to: you are doing what God has you doing at any given moment.  We must be PATIENT  ;).  Thanks again for all the help.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.