bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parable?  (Read 5904 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Parable?
« on: December 26, 2006, 09:49:52 PM »

Ray:

Before I began my discussion, I must say that I agree with much of what you are teaching.  Many of the scriptures and arguments that you utilize I have also used over many years.  However, I must disagree with the following statement you made in your discourse titled “TWELVE GOD-GIVEN TRUTHS TO UNDERSTAND HIS WORD”.

“Actually the Bible as a whole is one giant parable. Tis true, but I don’t have time to go into that right now.”

“This is really childish that I should even have to explain to Christians that a "parabolay" really is a "FICTITIOUS narrative, and therefore is not a literal story at all. Oh what religion has done to otherwise perfectly sane minds.”

“Just for the record, here are just a few of the definitions of "fictitious" from my dictionary: "fictitious, adj, artificial, feigned, fiction, imaginary, syn, false, fabrication, deception, incredible [unbelievable], impossibility, nonexistent, invented, distortion of historical facts" etc., etc., etc. From: Merriam Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition, page 465.”

If I were to apply the definitions you applied to parables, which I agree are correct, to the statement “Actually the Bible as whole is one giant parable” would I not be saying that the whole Bible is “fictitious”.  That it is “artificial, feigned, fiction, imaginary, syn, false, fabrication, deception, incredible [unbelievable], impossibility, nonexistent, invented, distortion of historical facts".  If this is actually what you believe, which I do not believe is the fact, I would be compelled to ask why you are spending so many hours stud ying and defending that which is fictitious, false, and artificial?

To the contrary, a large portion of the scriptures is historical data about literal kingdoms, countries, cities, and people.  When Jesus said in John 14:2  I go to prepare a place (Greek word “topos”) for you, He was speaking of a literal location.  The greek word “topos” is used over and over again to indicate a literal, physical location.

Matthew 26:52

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his placeL topos)

Matthew 27:33

And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place (topos) of a skull,

Matthew 28:6

He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place (topos) where the Lord lay.

Luke 4:17

And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place (topos) where it was written,

Matthew 14:13: desert place (topos) Matthew 14:35:  the men of that place: (topos)

Moreover, it is my view that there will be a literal beast kingdom that will be   given power “over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations”. (Revelations 13:7)  That he will “cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast” to be “killed”. (Revelations 13:15)  That this is done in fulfillment of Revelations 6:9-11: (The fifth seal) That those who are killed during the reign of the beast will participate in the first resurrection: (Revelations 20:4) And that it will be the “bea st, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him (Jesus) that sat on the horse, and against his army”. (This of course happening at the literal and physical return of Jesus to this earth)

I agree with you that “spiritual things must be compared to spiritual things” but I also realize that the scriptures must also deal with literal things, such as you and me.

Also, in your writing about the “rapture”, of which I am in agreement with, I did not see any comments about the quote unquote “restrainer” of 2 Thessalonians 2:6-7.  Would you comment on that?

Daniel

Dear Daniel:

I have said many many times the past year or two that WE MUST PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE WORDS!!

When people write in the venacular, it is ASSUMED that their readers have at least a minimum of worldly understanding. When Shakespeare wrote: "Life is but a poor actor who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. A tale as told full of sound and fury signifying nothing." (or something like that)  He was not trying to cover every literaly aspect of human life. Only that in the end, little was accomplished by any one man's existence. (or at least his opinion)

Now then, did not James make the exact same statement as Shakespeare when he wrote: "For what is your life? It is even A VAPOUR, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away"  (James 4:14). Yes, that is exactly what Shakespeare said, in fact, I would not doubt that he got his version from James.  But do James and Shakespeare LIE?  Is not life considerably MORE THAN A VAPOR?  It is a generalization in the form of a metaphor to show us a great and grand spiritual truth. And that is precisely what I am doing when I state that "The Bible is One Giant PARABLE."  Do you think that I gave no thought at all to what I was saying before shouting that phraise over the worldwide web?

A parable is a physical story which points to a SPIRITUAL TRUTH.  As God creates "A NEW HEAVEN AND A NEW EARTH," just what is there about this present heaven and earth that will "LITERALLY" last eternally?  Besides I did not say that "The Bible is One Giant FICTION," now did I?  No, I said that the Bible is one giant PARABLE.  And the contents of a parable (not the Bible, but a PARABLE, are fictitious. ALL of the "literal" history, etc., in the Bible is NOT THE REAL THING. It is merely the ways and means TO THE REAL THING, which is Spiritual. "First that which is natural; and AFTERWARD that which is SPIRITUAL" (I Cor. 15:46).

Now let's look at your example which you seem to think proves my premise wrong:

"    To the contrary, a large portion of the scriptures is historical data about literal kingdoms, countries, cities, and people.  When Jesus said in John 14:2  I go to prepare a place (Greek word “topos”) for you, He was speaking of a literal location.  The greek word “topos” is used over and over again to indicate a literal, physical location."

COMMENT:  You are forgetting one thing, Daniel, "The WORDS [as in 'I go to prepare a PLACE...'] that I speak unto you, THEY ARE SPIRIT...." Oops.

"Moreover, it is my view that there will be a literal beast kingdom that will be   given power “over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations”. (Revelations 13:7)."

COMMENT:  "And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a BEAST rise up out of the sea, having SEVEN HEADS and TEN HORNS, and upon his horns TEN CROWNS, and upon his beads the NAME OF BLASPHEMY...like unto a LEOPARD, and his feet were as the feet of a BEAR, and his mouth as the mouth of a LION...."

And you say this is "LITERAL," do you? What beast is there that can first of all "blaspheme?" Have SEVEN HEAD?" With TEN HORNS?"  Is a cross between a LEOPARD, BEAR and a LION? And it LIVES IN THE  O-C-E-A-N?  "Literal?"  Am I going to fast for you?

God be with you,

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.