bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Corinthians 13  (Read 7223 times)

hillsbororiver

1 Corinthians 13
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:16:29 AM »

This morning I was contemplating how annoying I must have been with certain family members and friends when it came to "sharing" the many things I had discovered on Bible Truths, I was about as subtle as a sledgehammer cracking an eggshell. With others I was like Chinese water torture and with some folks like incessently bashing cymbals or a child practicing the trumpet in their beginner's stage.

I really appreciate what Paul writes in this Chapter;

1 Corinthians 13

1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

John

Re: 1 Corinthians 13
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 12:35:55 PM »

I can relate to that Joe. Sometimes I think that,

I STILL am a child, I speak as a child, I understand and think as a child, and....Im ok with that!  :)

Peace,
John

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 09:10:22 PM »

Hi Joe,

This process of growing spiritually is truly a humbling experience.  It humbles us to look back and see now spiritually immature we were and still are. The more I learn, the more I see how little I truly know. 

It is a process and I thank the Lord that He is processing me! ;D

His peace and Grace to you.

Rene'

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 01:41:54 AM »

Yes Joe

It is painful to see how we are deficient in the image of Christ. It darn right hurts in multiple ways. Am I  being too demanding, judgmental, unmerciful, self righteous, holier than thou, or on the other hand am I  being too complacent, lukewarm, tolerant or uncommitted to where I stand before Christ when challenged  in front of others…….Do I seek the approval of man or of God?

I agree, this walk does question my motives. What am I  trying to achieve type of questions  that are probing, searching and showing how inadequate I am before the holy flawless sacrifice of Christ! A constant reminder that I can not ever match HIM I can only image Him if He decides to express His Spirit of Love, Joy, Peace, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Patience and Self-control through me to another brother or sister.

Can I truly say I can lay my life down for another if I perceive blindness, idolatry or a less holy, less knowledgeable or less in touch with Christ than I perceive myself to be? While yet I was a sinner HE went to the Cross for me! Do I really want others to be blessed when I see that they are hard, cruel or callously insensitive towards me?  Do I understand that the absence of Christ makes people hard hearted and rejecting of me even hateful against me as we show up in joy and light that they know not but they sure do despise sometimes much to the testing of my faith that Christ has gone before me.

Yes….I share what you feel I think……as I too experience the need for balance in my tentative steps to follow Christ that very often leave me flat on my face spread eagled, helpless and needing Him to pick me up again and again and again and……

Thank you for the reminder that our ability in anything comes only from His expertise in EVERYTHING………

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

stego

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 05:24:40 AM »

Hi Joe,
   I have a silly question:  The word charity means Love right?  In the verse

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity...

This means "and have not loved" as opposed to "and have not been loved" right?

Thanks,

Sean

eggi

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 10:49:19 AM »

Hi stego,

I would say it means: "...and have not love."

If I should be speaking in the languages of men and of the messengers, yet should have no love, I have become resounding copper or a clanging cymbal. (1Co 13:1 CLV)
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 02:12:16 PM »

Arcturus,

That is a wonderful post and thought provoking.  It blessed me today.  Kinda put things in perspective.  I was hoping to see one of my friends from out of town, but things did not work out.  I was beginning to get upset and hurtful about it.  You post has reminded me what's important.  Thanks for getting me on the straight on this.  I will see you later.  God bless.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Kat

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 02:35:15 PM »

Hi Joe,

It is so that when we first come to the joy of the Truth,
that we may tend to be a little too pushy in sharing.
It is so wonderful what we have found, that we just want to share it with everybody.
Well we all learn those of the world can not share our joy at this time,
so they hate to hear what we say  :(

John 15:17  So I command you to love each other.
v.18  If the people of this world hate you, just remember that they hated me first.
v.19  If you belonged to the world, its people would love you. But you don't belong to the world. I have chosen you to leave the world behind, and that is why its people hate you.
v.20  Remember how I told you that servants are not greater than their master. So if people mistreat me, they will mistreat you. If they do what I say, they will do what you say.
v.21  People will do to you exactly what they did to me. They will do it because you belong to me, and they don't know the one who sent me.

That's why I love coming to this forum,
because of the love there is for one another in sharing this Truth  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Slim

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 05:12:53 PM »

Hi Joe,
   I have a silly question:  The word charity means Love right?  In the verse

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity...

This means "and have not loved" as opposed to "and have not been loved" right?

Thanks,

Sean

Funny how this passage totally changed for me by using the word love instead of charity, which I know as giving to the poor or needy. When I read it as love I like it much better. Sometimes a slightly different translation really floats my boat. Like the translation of undeserved kindness instead of grace. I know not all will agree with me but I really like love much better here than charity.

Strong's Number:   26    Browse Lexicon
Original Word   Word Origin
ajgavph   from (25)
Transliterated Word   TDNT Entry
Agape   1:21,5
Phonetic Spelling   Parts of Speech
ag-ah'-pay       Noun Feminine
 Definition
brotherly love, affection, good will, love, benevolence
love feasts

eggi

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 10:23:22 PM »

The word "charity" is supposed to mean love in this passage. In old English the word meant love.

Main Entry: char·i·ty
Pronunciation: 'cher-&-tE, 'cha-r&-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Etymology: Middle English charite, from Anglo-French charité, from Late Latin caritat-, caritas Christian love, from Latin, dearness, from carus dear; akin to Old Irish carae friend, Sanskrit kAma love
1 : benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity
2 a : generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also : aid given to those in need b : an institution engaged in relief of the poor c : public provision for the relief of the needy
3 a : a gift for public benevolent purposes b : an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift
4 : lenient judgment of others

(Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 10:25:05 PM by eggi »
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

YellowStone

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 01:50:27 PM »

Kat, thanks for your Scriptural reference :)

John 15:17  So I command you to love each other.
v.18  If the people of this world hate you, just remember that they hated me first.
v.19  If you belonged to the world, its people would love you. But you don't belong to the world. I have chosen you to leave the world behind, and that is why its people hate you.

This passage references the word "Love" twice (once in Green and then in Red)

Christ comanded each of us to love one another, for: He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 1Jo 4:8

But then Christ say's if we are still part of the world, then worldly people will love us. Surely this love is not the same as Christ commands us to do. Is there a difference?

I believe that true meaning for love has been invariably merged with "Lust"

Compact Oxford English Dictionary

Love:

• verb 1 feel love for. 2 like very much. 3 loving showing love or great care.

Lust:

• verb (usu. lust for/after) feel lust for someone or something

It is true, many lust for material possesions, girlfriends, boyfriends, money, power, recognition because they would "love" to have them.

But do you see the primary difference in the "Love of Christ" and the "Love of the world"?

To my understanding, the "Love of Christ" means giving yourself up as in: "I" am no longer the center of my world. Whereas, those in the world still hold on the "I" am the center of my world.

Certainly, we cannot see inside anothers heart; however, we can see the fruits of their heart. When I see someone showing Christ like care, love and charity to others, I can see the love of God.

Is the quality and quantity of this love dependant solely in their level of Scriptual understanding? So do we stop "loving" the people in the world? No, just the things that the people of the world, love and lust after.

Does this make sense.....

Christ like love to all,
Darren

PKnowler

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 06:04:55 PM »

This morning I was contemplating how annoying I must have been with certain family members and friends when it came to "sharing" the many things I had discovered on Bible Truths, I was about as subtle as a sledgehammer cracking an eggshell. With others I was like Chinese water torture and with some folks like incessently bashing cymbals or a child practicing the trumpet in their beginner's stage.

I know what you mean Joe, in my zeal to share this wonderful truth I have been quite offensive. LOL you make me laugh... of the tortures you describe my sharing would be like Chinese water torture. ha ha.... ask my husband. Ok...., I know it's not funny! I am getting better though- really. 1 Cor 13 is the perfect scripture to examine ourselves by and make sure we are walking in love. Thanks for sharing that Joe!

Blessings, Paula

Kat

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 08:33:52 PM »

Hi Darren,

Indeed I agree with what you have said.

The love that we have, when we are in the world can be sincere,
as the love of a mother to a child.

But I do think lust is surely confused with love by many in the world.
Also those in the world can not have a real love for all things,
that degree of love comes from Christ in us.

1Jo 4:12  ... If we love one another, God dwells in us, and His love is perfected in us.

Rom 5:5 ... because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit given to us.

God not merely loves, but is love, it is His very nature.

1Jo 4:16  So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

He imparts this nature into His chosen, for “he that abideth in love abideth in God, and God abideth in him,”
and "His love is perfected in us," or as Strong has it -- to complete, that is, (literally) accomplish, or (figuratively) consummate (in character): - consecrate, finish, fulfil, (make) perfect.

I think that is how we know that Christ is in us,
we have an unnatural (unlike the world) love for all things  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 05:12:31 PM »

Amen! Wow! Fantastic!

These are the words and emotions I felt reading through all of your posts, thank you.

I have been away for a couple days and I must say I have a lot of catching up to do here, I have perused some other topics that were started in my absence and I found so many edifying posts, some of you may be thinking "why don't you stay away a bit longer next time?"  ;D

Charity I believe is a deeper form of love, it is easy to love those who have taken care of us or have looked out for us, shared our experiences, been friendly with or attracted to. Charity is loving or I should say manifesting love toward our enemies, strangers and the least appealing among us.

It is easier to say "love" than it is to actually be charitable, it is easy to proclaim an emotion but it can be challenging and inconvenient to act upon it, to sacrifice our comfort, time, etc. is charity, the manifestation of charitable works speaks volumes to those around us, selflessly giving our time or being generous with a word of encouragement or a buck or two for those in no position to help us is a sure witness of our love for Christ.

If our lives are an example of this we will hear those around us ask us the source of our motivation;

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

gmik

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 05:48:36 PM »

Hi all y'all,
Been gone for a few days visiting relatives.  Glad to be back.  I had no access to a computer!

Anyway, 2 things I want to share/confess:

1. My bro-in-law starts talking about heaven being a planet and people there are just having the best time......well, finally I said Oh there is no heaven as you described it and people are dead!!  Well, everyone standing around fled...leaving just the 2 of us.  We politely in an arguing sort of way, talked about it, I could express what I believe quite eloquently except I couldn't remember 1 single scripture!!!  I was looking thru his bible and couldn't find anything. We left it at I will find some scripture and he said yes, like the time you thought there were 88 ways Jesus was coming back in 1988-you had scripture for that too!
(When will I learn????)

2. Walking down the streets of downtown Chicago a lady in front of me said something mean about someone smoking.  Sort of under my breath I said, Lighten Up!!   OMG

The fireworks hit the fan!! I smrted off back at her, she stopped and turned around and told me off.  My son who was carrying my granddaughter on his shoulders got into the fray, saying hey lady its a free country-no law against smoking on the streets.  She said Well, I have asthma!!!  I said----So what?  Why are you out at night, freezing if you are that sick.

Yes I said that!!!  She F'@@@ at me, and then looked up at my granddaughter and said the F word 4-5 times at her. I just gasped and my son said oh thats classy lady real class.  She gave us the finger and crossed the street.  So, I yelled at her...You are pathetic!!!

I Cannot get over that I got involved in such a fray.  I am still shaking over it.  You know I have been studying at Bible truths for a year and a half, and I aM No better than that??
How quickly I got into it and had no other thoughts or control but to put this lady in her place-but yelling on the streets! (my son thought I was really cool!!)  I am mortified I behaved like that and actually got a stranger so angry that she would cuss at a child!

Anyway, tht is my confession, so i would appreciate prayers/advice/opinions.

It is good to get back to my little computer room.  I am kinda dangerous on the outside!!

Love,
gena :-[

eggi

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 06:51:33 PM »

I'm so sorry for your experience Gena. It is really painful when we see that we fall short. It is my hope that we will learn the lesson, and it seems that you did this.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1Jo 1:8-10 KJV)

If I get into a situation where I feel that I might get angry, I've gotten into a habit of thinking that this whole situation is here to test me. That usually helps. But not always. I always thank God when I didn't become angry in a situation where I know that I would have been angry before.

Courage!!

In your patience possess ye your souls. (Luk 21:19 KJV)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.