bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Testament summary  (Read 4369 times)

Slim

Old Testament summary
« on: December 28, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »

Hi All,

I read the old testament about a year ago from start to finish. At the time I was a non church going Christian who felt a new connection to God. Anyway, I had fresh eyes and no one to tell me what I was reading. I noticed a few things in common regarding the ot. First, most had stories that dealt with the frailties of human morality. All fell short and no one is a hero. Virtually every single character has a flaw exposed sooner or later. I remember being so excited when I got to Solomon and he seemed to finally make the grade and God loved him so. Then, at the end he falls away and starts making idols to false gods in his old age to make his wives happy. I was stunned. Here was the perfect dude who had it all, money, women, power, the love of God and he dropped the ball. Every single main character has human flaws in the OT and I grew to reallize that in and of itself is a message to us. We cannot do it by ourselves. The second thing I noticed is God is in control and mankind usually won't acknowledge this. We tend to go our own way and don't feel we need God. He usually then teaches a lesson like the one to Nebuchanezzer that you may be king of the world but you ultimately submit to God's will. So when I saw Ray's site regarding free will, it made perfect sense to me. Regarding the NT when I got to John and all that predestination stuff and who is "dragged" to Jesus well again I was stunned. Once again God is in control, completely. So I guess the larger lessons for me are no one is perfect and never will be (cept Jesus) Jesus loves you and offers you an abundance of life, God is in control although it often appears to us that we are, we are not. We are all players in God's grand plan. We are all expendable and very small compared to God. Yet he knows how many hairs are on our head. We can never truly know God yet we should try. We need to forgive each other for our weaknesses and we should love each other as best we can. Jesus is so much more important and larger than the OT since all of the OT is a but a hors doevre and Jesus is the main course. Let us feast on his wonderful love and learn the lesson of the season. Good will to men and peace on earth. Amen

rrammfcitktturjsp

Re: Old Testament summary
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 06:39:34 AM »

Slim,

What a wonderful post.  I would like to repsond to two points that you made.

So I guess the larger lessons for me are no one is perfect and never will be (cept Jesus) Jesus loves you and offers you an abundance of life, God is in control although it often appears to us that we are, we are not. We are all players in God's grand plan. We are all expendable and very small compared to God. Yet he knows how many hairs are on our head. We can never truly know God yet we should try. We need to forgive each other for our weaknesses and we should love each other as best we can.

Wow, that was so beautifully said.  This is what I am striving for everyday, and my how short of the goal I fall.  These are great lessons that you have learned.  It has taken me most of my life to learn these lessons, and these are not easy lessons to learn.  Thanks for sharing what you have learned.

The second point is this.

Let us feast on his wonderful love and learn the lesson of the season. Good will to men and peace on earth. Amen

Amen to this.  "Come and Taste that the Lord is Good." 

God bless.  Look forward to reading more of your posts.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

chuckt

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 08:57:52 AM »

great post slim, Gob bless
chuckt

brothertoall

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 09:09:24 AM »

Slim it was then and only then when God revealed Himself to me, that it is nothing I can do or say. That was such a HUGE weight taken off of me to know that it is all HIM.

What a great post my friend and it is very good to see you posting.

bobby(bob)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 17 queries.