bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brimstone?  (Read 6046 times)

nightmare sasuke

Brimstone?
« on: April 03, 2006, 08:47:55 PM »

I read Ray's article "The Two Judgments by FIRE," and while I agreed with almost everything he said, there's one thing I am unsure of. Specifically, Ray quoted, "'Physical Properties—Sulfur is TASTELESS and ODORLESS. IT HAS NO ACTION ON THE SKIN" (Page 537d)!'" I told my friend that and he responded, "I always thought brimstone [sulfer] smelled like rotten eggs." I looked it up on wikipedia, and the author of the article said the following, "Although sulfur is infamous for its smell - frequently compared to rotten eggs - the odor is actually characteristic of hydrogen sulfide (H2S); elemental sulfur is odorless. It burns with a blue flame that emits sulfur dioxide, notable for its peculiar suffocating odor.�

According to this article, Ray is half right, because “elemental sulfer is odorless;� however, I do not think Yahweh burned Sodom with elemental sulfer. Perhaps, this article is wrong? I am not trying to disprove Ray, nevertheless, I’m sure many eternal torment believers would say “it smells like rotten eggs� in defense of their doctrine. I am just trying to make sure I have all my facts in place that way when I use both the literal and spirtual arguments of what sulfer really is against eternal torment believers, I will not be able to be refuted easily.

shibboleth

Brimstone?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 10:11:18 PM »

According to Smiths Dictionary, it is only when sulfer or brimstone is burning, htat it emits its stench. I had also read that it was a combination of sulfer with other ingredients that causes the smell. I will look for more information and give it to you if I find any.

nightmare sasuke

Brimstone?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 10:44:11 PM »

Quote from: shibboleth
According to Smiths Dictionary, it is only when sulfer or brimstone is burning, htat it emits its stench. I had also read that it was a combination of sulfer with other ingredients that causes the smell. I will look for more information and give it to you if I find any.

Well, if brimstone is going to be in the lake of fire, wouldn't the fire cause it to emit the smell? Theologians could use that as a counter argument. They could say, "since the brimstone is in the fire, it will emit a smell, making the sinners torment more painful, giving the righteous sadistically twisted pleasure."

sparkyman481

Brimstone?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:04:41 AM »

Hello Sasuke,

I found this maybe this will help.
Sulfur
sulfur or sulphur (sŭl′ fər), nonmetallic chemical element; symbol S; at. no. 16; at. wt. 32.06; m.p. 112.8°C (rhombic), 119.0°C (monoclinic), about 120°C (amorphous); b.p. 444.674°C; sp. gr. at 20°C, 2.07 (rhombic), 1.957 (monoclinic), 1.92 (amorphous); valence -2, +4, or +6. Sulfur was known to the ancients; it is the brimstone of the Bible. It was first recognized as an element in 1777 by A. L. Lavoisier.Properties and Compounds

Sulfur is found in group VIa of the periodic table. It exhibits allotropy. Solid sulfur occurs principally in three forms, all of which are brittle, yellow in color, odorless, tasteless, and insoluble in water. Two of these solid forms are crystalline, composed of molecules containing eight sulfur atoms and having molecular weight 256.512 amu. Rhombic sulfur has orthorhombic crystalline structure and is stable below 95.5°C; most sulfur is in this form. The monoclinic, or prismatic, form has long, needlelike, nearly transparent crystals; it is stable between 95.5°C and its melting point but reverts to the rhombic form on standing at room temperature. Amorphous sulfur is a dark, noncrystalline, gumlike substance. It is often thought to be a supercooled liquid; it is formed by rapidly cooling molten sulfur, e.g., by pouring it into cold water. It slowly reverts to the rhombic form on standing. The crystalline forms are readily soluble in carbon disulfide, but the amorphous form is not. Many other forms of sulfur exist. Liquid sulfur is unusual in that its viscosity increases as it is heated. This property is thought to be due to the formation of long polymeric chains of sulfur molecules.

Sulfur is a chemically active element and forms many compounds, both by itself (sulfides) and in combination with other elements. It is part of many organic compounds, e.g., mercaptans (thiols) and thio compounds. It burns in air with a blue flame, forming sulfur dioxide, SO2.

Natural Occurrence and Processing
Sulfur is widely distributed in nature. It is found in many minerals and ores, e.g., iron pyrites, galena, cinnabar, zinc blende, gypsum, barite, and epsom salts and in mineral springs and other waters. It is found uncombined in some volcanic regions and in large underground deposits in Sicily and in Texas and Louisiana. Sulfur often occurs with coal, petroleum, and natural gas. Sulfur is found in meteorities, and deposits of it may be present near the lunar crater Aristarchus. The distinctive colors of Jupiter's moon Io are believed to result from forms of molten, solid, and gaseous sulfur. Sulfur is a component of all living cells. The amino acids cysteine, methionine, homocysteine, and taurine contain sulfur as do some common enzymes; it is a component of most proteins. Some forms of bacteria use hydrogen sulfide (H2S) in place of water in a rudimentary photosynthesislike process. Sulfur is absorbed by plants from soil as sulfate ions.

Sulfur is produced chiefly by the Frasch process, although it is also produced by the Sicilian method and by other methods. In the Sicilian method the sulfur-bearing ores are piled in a mound and ignited. The heat produced by the burning melts some of the sulfur, which is collected and cast. This sulfur is impure and is usually purified by sublimation. Sulfur is also recovered from natural gas, coal, crude oil, and other sources, e.g., the flue dusts and gases from the refining of metal sulfide ores. Elemental sulfur is obtained in several forms, including flowers of sulfur, a fine crystalline powder, and roll sulfur (cast cakes or sticks).

Uses
Elemental sulfur is used in black gunpowder, matches, and fireworks; in the vulcanization of rubber; as a fungicide, insecticide, and fumigant; in the manufacture of phosphate fertilizers; and in the treatment of certain skin diseases. The principal use of sulfur, however, is in the preparation of its compounds. The most important sulfur compound is sulfuric acid. Other important compounds include sulfur dioxide, used as a bleaching agent, disinfectant, and refrigerant; sodium bisulfite, used in paper manufacture; carbon disulfide, an important organic solvent; hydrogen sulfide, sulfur trioxide, and thionyl chloride, used as reagents in chemistry; Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), used as a laxative, bath additive, exfoliant, and magnesium supplement in plant nutrition; the numerous other sulfate compounds; and sulfa drugs.

love_magnified

Brimstone?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 03:18:14 AM »

Well, if brimstone is going to be in the lake of fire, wouldn't the fire cause it to emit the smell? Theologians could use that as a counter argument. They could say, "since the brimstone is in the fire, it will emit a smell, making the sinners torment more painful, giving the righteous sadistically twisted pleasure."

Your response to them would be more powerful if you discussed with them the very basis of interpreting scripture: The physical is not the reality. The physical is a type and shadow of the spiritual. The natural man cannot understand that and sees your spiritual discernment comparing spiritual with spiritual as foolishness.

eutychus

Brimstone?
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 08:28:11 AM »

the carnal man/flesh burning away, could it be a sweet smell to God???

we are talking spiritually  :wink:

given to me by a brother:

i found it interesting:

"""It ties in with being tied to the four corners of the altar by cords of love which cannot be broken, ie. making of yourselves a living sacrifice as we allow Him to consume the four parts of our soul, the mind, will, emotions, and desires. There was a grate on that altar for the ashes to pass thru, ie. the only way they got below it was to become a sacrifice as outlined above. He gives beauty for ashes. They are not crying out for vengence as the blood of Abel did, but rather that their brethren would die to self on the altar as they just did.""""

""""the "smoke" that ascends from the altar after being set free of our flesh, is Christ in us, ie. the sweet smelling sacrifice in God's nostrils. Meet Him in the cloud ........Blessings to you---"""""

some now some later :wink:

Deedle

Brimstone?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »

Other important compounds include sulfur dioxide, used as a bleaching agent, disinfectant

A fellow named Josh at the Mobile conference brought to my attention that sulfer was used to bleach linen white.

Rev 15:6  
And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.

Rev 19:8  
And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Rev 19:14  
And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

Deedle  :D

eutychus

Brimstone?
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 02:02:11 PM »

Quote from: Deedle
Other important compounds include sulfur dioxide, used as a bleaching agent, disinfectant

A fellow named Josh at the Mobile conference brought to my attention that sulfer was used to bleach linen white.

Rev 15:6  
And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.

Rev 19:8  
And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Rev 19:14  
And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

interesting, can that be corralated to this?

Rev 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

some are washed by christ others by brimstone?

Deedle

Brimstone?
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 02:20:39 PM »

Hello Chuck!

See this thread:

http://forums.bible-truths.com/viewtopic.php?p=1206&highlight=#1206

We are all washed through Christ. Brimstone is just another element of Christ.

Rom 11:36 (NKJV)  
For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things

Col 1:16 (CLV)
for in Him is all created, that in the heavens and that on the earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones, or lordships, or sovereignties, or authorities, all is created through Him and for Him, 17 and He is before all, and all has its cohesion in Him."

eutychus

Brimstone?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »

Quote from: Deedle
Hello Chuck!

See this thread:

http://forums.bible-truths.com/viewtopic.php?p=1206&highlight=#1206

We are all washed through Christ. Brimstone is just another element of Christ.

Rom 11:36 (NKJV)  
For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things

Col 1:16 (CLV)
for in Him is all created, that in the heavens and that on the earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones, or lordships, or sovereignties, or authorities, all is created through Him and for Him, 17 and He is before all, and all has its cohesion in Him."

got it thanks!!

thinking alone those lines for sure!!
yes i see it ;-]

love
chuckt

ertsky

Brimstone?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 02:41:56 PM »

speaking of brimstone

have y'all noticed that this word

G2303
θεῖον
theion
Thayer Definition:
1) brimstone
1a) divine incense, because burning brimstone was regarded as having power to purify, and to ward off disease

is only one strongs number away from this word

G2304
θεῖος
theios
thi'-os
From G2316; godlike (neuter as noun, divinity): - divine, godhead.

for some reason i got really excited when i read that

thanks to you all for the help

f
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.