bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's with Peter and Jude?  (Read 4912 times)

nightmare sasuke

What's with Peter and Jude?
« on: April 03, 2006, 11:02:54 PM »

Why does Peter use the word "pneuma," rather than the word "anthrōpos," in the following verse:

"By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison..." (1Pe 3:19).

Some could argue that he used "pneuma," rather than "anthropos," to distinguish the beings being referred to from mortals.

I personally believe that Peter used figurative language alluding to popular myths to prove points. He, perhaps, used idiomatic speech.

For example, "For if God spared not the angels [messengers] that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment..." (2Pe 2:4).

It seems to me that this sentence is a hyperbole, alluding to a popular myth to prove a point. Perhaps, investigation into the ones being addressed by Peter would give us further insight? For example, Peter used the word "tartarus," which is a first throughout the entire Scriptures. One might ask, "why did Paul decide to use the word tartarus rather than gehenna, hades, or phrear?�

By comparing “spiritual things with spiritual� we know that there are no fallen “angels,� and that angel simply means messenger, spiritual, or mortal. However, Paul specifically mentions that these “angels� or messengers are cast into a unique and unmentioned place, and are chained in darkness. Why would he do such a thing?

Jude also alludes to these chains of darkness (with the neglect of the use of the word tartarus):

“And the angels [messengers] which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting [aidios] chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day� (Jud 1:6).

Why are these messengers being distinguished so boldly? What are these chains of darkness? Why are these messengers getting special treatment? Is this referring to the afterlife? Or what?

Moreover, I’ve heard countless times (and believed it) that the word “aidios,� which is used in Jud 1:6, is the closest Greek word to denote eternity. However, the word used in Jud 1:6 clearly does not denote endlessness, because those bound by the “everlasting chains� will be released on the “judgment of the great day.� Does anyone have any insight into the etymology (inside and outside the Scriptures) of the word aidios?

Someone please address my questions and analyze these verses for me. They are very tricky.

PS. Is it possible that these verses that are referring to the chained angels were a later add in by the Church, just like the two Trinity supporting verses?

theyachtman

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:00:49 AM »

Amen . . . I would also love some insight to these mysterious verses.

rvhill

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:02:04 AM »

Quote from: theyachtman
Amen . . . I would also love some insight to these mysterious verses.

life full of mysteries  :shock:  8)  :twisted:

nightmare sasuke

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:04:22 AM »

Can anyone shed some light? I'd email Ray, but he's so busy and by the time he would respond I would forget I had asked ;D

Sorin

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:31:37 AM »

Then perhaps you should email Mike. better yet I'm pretty sure Mike already has written a paper on the whole " Fallen Angels " subject.
Maybe when I'll have the time I'll search his site for it. perhaps you could take a look also. this is very " mysterious " and interesting indeed.

:-k

nightmare sasuke

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 01:37:07 AM »

Quote from: Sorin
Then perhaps you should email Mike. better yet I'm pretty sure Mike already has written a paper on the whole " Fallen Angels " subject.
Maybe when I'll have the time I'll search his site for it. perhaps you could take a look also. this is very " mysterious " and interesting indeed.

:-k

Mike explains how "in prison" refers to those dead in spirit. However, I still find it odd (and know others would argue this) Peter used a word meaning "spirit" rather than "man" to refer to those "in prison."

Wouldn't it be great if we all could be caught up to the third heaven like Paul?

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 01:48:41 AM »

Caught up to the third heaven? Im pretty sure that guys dead and sleepign right now... correct? Perhaps im confused lol, i think i am.

Anyway id really like some insight on those scriptures also!

I give my stamp of approval for explanation on this scripture :)

Ray, Mike? The flock needs feeding... AGAIN! :D

nightmare sasuke

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 02:44:37 AM »

Quote from: lilitalienboi16
Caught up to the third heaven? Im pretty sure that guys dead and sleepign right now... correct? Perhaps im confused lol, i think i am.

http://www.*not-allowed*.com/email/2005041801.html

Deedle

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 03:21:27 PM »

Moreover, I’ve heard countless times (and believed it) that the word “aidios,� which is used in Jud 1:6, is the closest Greek word to denote eternity. However, the word used in Jud 1:6 clearly does not denote endlessness, because those bound by the “everlasting chains� will be released on the “judgment of the great day.� Does anyone have any insight into the etymology (inside and outside the Scriptures) of the word aidios?

Hello nightmare sasuke,

The Concordant version renders aidios as "imperceptible". It only appears twice in scripture.

Rom 1:20 (CLV)
For His invisible attributes are descried from the creation of the world, being apprehended by His achievements, besides His imperceptible power and divinity, for them to be defenseless,

Jud 1:6 (CLV)
Besides, messengers who keep not their own sovereignty, but leave their own habitation, He has kept in imperceptible bonds under gloom for the judging of the great day."

On the old board Ray answered an email in detail explaining how aidios does mean "imperceptible". Dennis might have it saved somewhere.

Deedle  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.