bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scripture?  (Read 5363 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Scripture?
« on: December 31, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »

Hi Ray:

I came upon your web site recently, and must say I enjoy viewing the question and answer e-mails where you challenge many accepted Christian teachings of the Church, allowing us to see how they hold up to actual Scripture.

I would like to back up for a moment, though, and ask you a question a little larger in scope. Please help me understand something about the Bible: In the case of New Testament writings, I understand that Paul's writings were the earliest, while the four Gospels, etc., were written later. My question is, if none of these writers/authors actually knew Jesus, what was the source of their information about him? In other words, how did they know Jesus said this, or Jesus said that? I know the story of Saul/Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus, but what about the Gospel writers? Were they supposed to have received revelation, even down to actual quotations of Jesus? Forgive my ignorance on the subject. Also, why do you think it took so long after Jesus' death before people started writing about him?

Sincerely,
    Russ

Dear Russ:
    Never been asked this question.
    I believe that they did write about Him and His sayings from the beginning. And I believe that is why they knew how to quote Jesus accurately. There may have been many letters and manuscripts recording what Jesus did here and what He said over there, etc.  Also, as time when on and those who did see and hear and know Jesus became fewer and fewer through death, it became necessary to put to ink and scroll as much as anyone could remember, along with those teachings that were actually written down, here and there and maybe almost everywhere.
    The gospel of John, of course, was written by the Apostole John, and so he knew everything first hand, but even he may have had to consult manuscripts which had earlier recorded the actual quotations, places, dates, etc..
    God be with you,
    Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.