bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Translations  (Read 4384 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Translations
« on: December 31, 2006, 05:58:09 PM »

Hello Ray,

I thought this may help. You mention that this is not an understandable translation and that others dont help much either:

Thou [God] art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?" (KJV—I left in all the archaic English and italics to show added words not found in the manuscripts).

And that this one below is better:

"We are wicked, but they far more! Will you [God], Who cannot allow sin in any form, stand idly by while they swallow us up? Should You be silent while the wicked destroy those who are better than they?" (Habakkuk 1:13, The Living Bible). 

I agree but this is much better:
Had the KJV translators added the following do you agree it would have made a better transaltion?

"Thou [God]art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not allow wearisome toil:  therfore shall thou lookest upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?"

wearisome:  (adj) Causing physical or mental fatigue; tedious or tiresome
toil: (noun) Archaic Strife; contention.
Strife:(noun) heated, often violent dissension; bitter conflict, A struggle, fight, or quarrel.
therfore:  For that reason or cause; consequently or hence.
shall: aux.v. past tense should

This is excellent! Unless you think otherwise.

I hope you like it.

God bless,
Ricardo

Actually, Ricardo, I think they are all terrible. How can one say that "God CANNOT ALLOW SIN IN ANY FORM," when God "allows" all kinds of sins in every part of the world all day long? The Concordant Version on this verse is really bad.

Here is the only Translation that I have to does a proper job of translating this verse, and I have studied every word in the Hebrew:

"Thou whose eyes are too pure to look WITH APPROVAL on wrong [evil], To RESPECT oppression canst not endure..."   (Rotherham's Emphasized Bible).

God be with you,
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.