bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luke 12:4-6  (Read 4494 times)

Robin

Luke 12:4-6
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:55:32 AM »

Luke 12:4-6
4"I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. 6Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies[a]? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.

I saw this scripture when I was looking for something else and don't understand it. What does hell mean in this scripture?

andrevan

Re: Luke 12:4-6
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 07:39:22 AM »

The Greek word is Gehenna, literally meaning: valley of (the son of) Hinnom; gehenna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem.

It is a geographical place near Jerusalem, where in OT times, the Israelites burnt their children as offerings to the god Molech. Later in the time of Christ, it was a burning refuse dump, and later when Rome destroyed the Temple and slaughtered the Jews in about AD 70, it was a dumping ground for their bodies. This is off the top of my head, so I may not be spot on.

God bless.
Andrevan.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »

Hi M.G.,

I found is in Ray's LoF 'Hell' article part C.
I think he covers this subject very well.

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-C.html ------------------------------------

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in gehenna" (Matt. 10:28).

I am now going to show you how to be smarter and more knowledgeable that most theologians in the world—(at least in this one little point). Okay; follow very closely, for we are going to get really really technical for a few minutes:

First: Can God "destroy the body?" Well, yes, of course He can, Jesus just said that He "is ABLE." So God "IS able to destroy the body."
Next: Can God "destroy the soul?" Well, yes, of course He can, Jesus just said that He "is ABLE." So God "IS able to destroy the soul."

God didn’t need to do anything after He breathed into him the breathe of life. It was the breath of life from God that caused the man to become a living soul. God didn’t put a soul into Adam; Adam is a living soul. The spirit of man, which God gives to every human, is like a light switch—Switch it ‘on’ and the light glows: Switch it ‘off’ and the light is dark, gone, dead. Put the spirit in the man, and the man is a living soul: take the spirit out of the man, and the man is a dead soul.

The "body" of the deceased is gone forever. In resurrection to immortality, God gives everyone a new spiritual body. God can bring back the person in any "body" He desires. When God puts your "spirit" (not you soul) but your spirit (which has no consciousness) back into another body (as in a resurrection with a new spiritual body), the same real person/soul will live again. God can do this, but man can’t, so fear God.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Robin

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:00:39 AM »

Thank you both. Thanks for finding that for me Kat. I understand it now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.