bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Christian vs Follower of Christ  (Read 10858 times)

rrammfcitktturjsp

Christian vs Follower of Christ
« on: January 03, 2007, 08:12:43 PM »

Guys,

I read this in one of Ray's e-mail.  Why does the bible use the word Christian in this Scripture.  I thought in the orginal church that the word Christain was unknown.  Was this added later to the orginal text or what is going on here?

[1]  "Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a CHRISTIAN" (Acts 26:28). This was Agrippa speaking and not in a favorable light. He didn't say: "Almost you persuade me to be a follower of the Christ."  No, he said "CH-R-I-S-T-I-A-N."

[2]  "Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf" (I Peter 4:16). In other words, suffering at the hands of those who called these followers of Jesus Christ "C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-NS" in a contemptious way. Peter was not endorsing this term, but merely expressing how those who would cause "suffering" on a follower of Jesus, would term them or name them.

[3]   "And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch" (Acts 11:26).  Again, it is the outsiders who are calling the fillowers of Jesus "Christians." They did not call THEMSELVES "Christians."

What do you label yourself as? ( Sorry if I sound ignorant, I'm new)

COMMENT:  It's okay, I am still ignorant of many things.  Actually I don't "label" myself at all.

I do, however, confess that I am a follower of Jesus Christ.

God be with you,

Ray

Just trying to figure it out, Thank you
    Shalukey

I for one do not proclaim myself as a Christain.  I am glad that I am a follower of Christ.  Too many negative connatations go along iwth the word Christian and Christainity.

<picks up drum and marches to differentr beat>

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

John

Re: Christian vs Follower of Christ
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 09:22:11 PM »

For me, if I had to choose a label it would be a 'believer'.

Romans 10:9

9.  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

I'm a Believer,
Peace,
John

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 01:10:23 AM »

John,

Good label.  Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

dogcombat

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 11:40:19 AM »

I would probably use the term diciple.  The original apostles were DISCIPLES of Christ, by FOLLOWING Him when He CALLED Them.  Then after they were converted became APOSTLES.  That's my 1 & a half cent.

Ches

PKnowler

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 11:50:15 AM »

Hi Anne,

I understand what you are saying about labels but it would be hard for me not to consider myself a Christian. (Maybe God will change that one day I don't know.)  :) Even with this new understanding of Universal Reconciliation it's how I make sure that who I am talking to, or what I am reading is from someone who like minded and not a cult teaching. To me to be a Christian is to exalt Christ and His sacrifice on the cross as the atonement for our sin, not our sin only but the sins of the whole world! Amen

~Paula  :)

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:00:59 PM »

Paula and dogcombat,

Thanks for posting.  Paula you have helped me see that there are some positive connotations to the word Christain.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

longhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »

When asked, I simply say I am "Being conformed"  I never tell anyone what I am because most who know me have allready formed their opinions anyway.  I found it interesting that Jesus was the same way.  "Who do YOU say that I am.  Not a single person had OBJECTION against Jesus while he was performing miracles and feeding the hungry, but when he TOLD THEM who he was, that being the "Living Son of God"  then they wanted to kill him, and they did.

My point is, people in all honesty dont care what you do or what you think.... It's when you TELL them who you are is when the JUDGMENT starts.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

Slim

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »

Not a single person had OBJECTION against Jesus while he was performing miracles and feeding the hungry, but when he TOLD THEM who he was, that being the "Living Son of God"  then they wanted to kill him, and they did.

My point is, people in all honesty dont care what you do or what you think.... It's when you TELL them who you are is when the JUDGMENT starts.

You are so right, I never noticed that fact even tho I did notice the ID issue was the problem. While he was just healing, all was okie dokie. Making food...ok, still the waters....ok, make some wine out of water....double ok, heal the sick and raise the dead....neat trick, do it again. Claim to be son of God, whoa buddy that's blasphemy, just who do you think you are? BTW before you get crucified could you heal my Aunt Edna who has the croup? Thanks.

graceman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »

I've heard other believers or followers of Christ express disdain towards the term 'Christian'.  I understand the term Christian to mean 'Christ-ones'...I don't have a problem with that.  It communicates WHO I belong to.  Because the world has the idea that a Christian is an uptight, intolerant, religious person really makes no difference to me.  In essence, the WHOLE WORLD are 'Christ-ones'...they ALL BELONG TO HIM, they just don't know it yet!

longhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 10:45:27 PM »

I have NO problem with people who consider themselves Christians.  I have No problems with people who consider themselves plumbers,electricians,teachers,just back from the moon scientist,drug addicts,pimps, whatever, and whoever you want to be is OK with me.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

longhorn

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 11:00:18 PM »

P.S.  I forgot to mention I am a supervisor at the feed mill plant.  Thats real important, just like being a "Christian"  sep being a "Christian" might RAISE my pay scale.  My goodness, I might be on to something..... From now on danget, please address me as "Christian"

Love In Christ

Christian (also known as Longhorn)

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 11:22:47 PM »

Okay guys and gals,

So where did this term come from?  Was it originally in the bible or did they add it?  I have no problem with the term now.  I just did not know how to accept it.  Thanks guys for helping me to open up to that label.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

eskimojerry

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 02:18:35 AM »

I could be mistaken, but, when I was a christian I read somewhere that it was first used as a derogatory term for followers of christ. When I was a charismatic, speaking in tongues, hell fire, and so on, we used to be called 'Ho Ho's', 'cryers' (sp? people who cry alot'). I believe that the word 'christian' was used in that sense. I could be wrong though. Here is a term that I'm having a hard time getting out of 'You are of your father the devil'.

Falconn003

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 04:13:10 AM »

i would EMBRACE the words or title of HUMBLE SERVANT of our God !  ((( period)))

God bless

Rodger

SandyFla

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 05:59:32 PM »

I don't have a problem with the word "Christian." It simply means "follower of Christ." ... Although it can cause people to think we believe in hell and the rest of the heresies of the church.

If I tell someone I'm a "believer," they'll ultimately ask, "A believer in what?"

Good way to start a conversation! :)

Sandy

mari_et_pere

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 08:25:33 PM »

When I'm asked if I'm a Christian, I say something like, "Well, I DO believe in Jesus and what the Bible teaches, but I don't really care what you call me."
If someone refers to themselves as a Christian, I don't think negative of that person. Then again I try not to think negative of ANYONE, but that's not the point. The term "Christian" bothers me none at all. If a person thinks they are a Christian, that means at the very least that they have at least attempted to pick a side, and God's side is always the best.
BUT am I a Believer? A believer in what? Disciple? A disciple of whom? A follower of Christ? Why yes I am! Does that make me a Christian? The answer means very little to me, and what people label me means even less.

M@tt

Sorin

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 09:16:52 PM »

I definitely don't consider myself a 'Christian' and would not like it if someone called me that. I don't want any part of Christendom at all and calling yourself a 'Christian' makes you part of that. So no thanks.

DWIGHT

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 09:33:10 PM »

Hi Anne,

".............and the diciples were called Christians first in Antioch."  Acts 11:26

Love ya,

Dwight,

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »

Dwight,

Thanks so much for this Scripture.  All along I thought that this was an invented term.  But Acts was written when?  I am trying to to an entamolgy of the word "Christian".

Susan, what does your husband think?  He seems up to date and great with words history.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

jennie

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 10:42:50 PM »

Sadly, we often are judged by the labels around our necks instead of the lives we live. I found a little article someplace many years ago and it still hangs on my fridge today. I can't say where I got it from but I really like it. I can't say it word for word but it says basically... You call me a christian? If you mean I believe in Christ , I do. It also means I am a flawed human being who messes up sometimes but is still loved by the one who made me. It means I try to show the love of god but I fall flat on my face sometimes. For me it is a pretty good summary of my own self.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.