bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Blood of Christ and Hyssop  (Read 8601 times)

hillsbororiver

The Blood of Christ and Hyssop
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:22:07 PM »

In researching and studying another (unrelated) subject I came across this interesting (to me) bit of scripture that I thought I would share with you.

Exodus 12:22-24 (King James Version)

22And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the bason, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the bason; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning.

23For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you.

24And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee and to thy sons for ever.

I have read this scores of times but never put together the significance of the blood on the lintels and side posts as representing the blood of Christ and the covering it provides for the elect and ultimately all creation.

John 19
28After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

29Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

30When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

In both the Exodus and John we read of hyssop, why? Apparently hyssop is a herb that possesses many healing properties and that is exactly what our Lord is accomplishing in His mission to bring all to the Father.

Any thoughts on the significance of hyssop?

Below is a description of the  benefits of this herb.

---Medicinal Action and Uses---Expectorant, diaphoretic, stimulant, pectoral, carminative. The healing virtues of the plant are due to a particular volatile oil, which is stimulative, carminative and sudorific. It admirably promotes expectoration, and in chronic catarrh its diaphoretic and stimulant properties combine to render it of especial value. It is usually given as a warm infusion, taken frequently and mixed with Horehound. Hyssop Tea is also a grateful drink, well adapted to improve the tone of a feeble stomach, being brewed with the green tops of the herb, which are sometimes boiled in soup to be given for asthma. In America, an infusion of the leaves is used externally for the relief of muscular rheumatism, and also for bruises and discoloured contusions, and the green herb, bruised and applied, will heal cuts promptly.

The infusion has an agreeable flavour and is used by herbalists in pulmonary diseases.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

gmik

Re: The Blood of Christ and Hyssop
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:37:55 PM »

Oh, I have never put those two together.  Gave me chills.  Another study for my to-do list.

gena

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 04:52:21 PM »

Hello Joe

This brought to mind the teaching conerning Brimstone in LOF. Wonderful insights shared and recieved with gratitude of Gods revealing love to us through His Mercy and Favor showing up in through your post.

Jesus Christ says....Fear not little Flock for it is the Fathers good pleasure to give you the Kingdom. Luke 12 : 32

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:54:46 PM »

Hi Arcturus & Gena,

Thanks for the input, I also found cedar being in many of the verses that included hyssop and sacrificial blood, I know "Soloman's" Temple had cedar in its construction as well as the Ark of the Covenant, was the cross that Jesus bore also made of cedar? I know cedar was/is used for fenceposts due to its natural resiliency and a resistance to rot and insect infestation.

Any thoughts on its significance?

Is there any significance?

Joe

DWIGHT

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 10:12:13 PM »

Hey Joe,

Being an ex-roofer, out west we use cedar for wood shingles and shakes.  Would'nt that be something.......cedar for a covering?
Just a thought.

Dwight,

DWIGHT

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 10:18:15 PM »

P.S. Joe,

I would imagine the the cross was made of cedar because it was close to the cedars of Lebanon.  Most of the temple was built from those cedars.

Dwight,

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 10:34:12 PM »

Dwight,

Now that is an awesome speculation.  How about the cross being made of the same wood that the snake's pole was made out of in the Old Testament since that served as a foreshawdo of Christ and the cross?  What is your opinion on this you guys?

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 04:17:30 AM »

Interesting debate.

Reading the definition of the hyssop I notice one sentence in particular:

In America, an infusion of the leaves is used externally for the relief of muscular rheumatism, and also for bruises and discoloured contusions, and the green herb, bruised and applied, will heal cuts promptly.

While reading this, this scripture came to mind:

Isa 53:5  But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Don't know if anyone else sees the relevance?
 ;D
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

rj

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

Hey Joe

I dont know if this was an old wives tale or not, but i always heard it was a dogwood tree he was crucified on.

rj

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »

Thank you for all the responses, Anne, I will be looking into "snake's pole" as I also believe there is some significance there too. rj, I researched Dogwood trees and they do grow in that region and there are many varieties ranging from small herblike bushes to trees 20' or taller. One thing all Dogwood trees/shrubs have in common is they are very particular about soil conditions and are a relatively high maintenance plant, they are also suseptable to fungus and bug infestation, quite the opposite of cedar.

I did find reference to Olive Trees being used in the Roman crucifixions in the Middle East during that period of time, another thing that was standard procedure for those crucified was that the executed would stay on the cross feeding the vultures and other scavengers unless special permission was given (by Roman authority) to bury the dead.

Eirik, I most definitely see hyssop as relevent to what Christ has done, is doing, and will be doing in future ages. I also want to explore the other componants used with it as there is surely a reason, physical and spiritual.

Dwight, yes I see cedar as a covering, excellent! There seems to be a lack of specific information on the type of tree or wood used in the crucifixion and it may well be unimportant but I am going to search Genesis for Abraham/Isaac and the sacrificial alter they prepared, remember Abraham stuck Isaac with the task of carrying wood up the mountain for the fire, what kind of wood I wonder, we know Isaac is a type of Christ so there must be alot of treasure to be mined in this story.

Thanks again everyone, I love exporing this stuff!

Joe

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 12:55:41 PM »

Joe,

Let us know what you are going to find out.  I would be interested.  This post has been so interested.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

sansmile

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • my beautiful grandchildren
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 01:08:48 PM »

Hiya all,

I found this in one of my studies, I think it was written by Ray.

Cedars of Lebanon
Men that are elevated, either by their own imaginations or by God. The righteous ... shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon (Psa 92:12). This speaks of the glory of God's righteous ones. However, this type may also be applied to God's enemies, but with the opposite result: For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low: And upon all the cedars of Lebanon, that are high and lifted up... (Isa 2:12-13). Kings and princes are quite often referred to as cedars of Lebanon. In Ezekiel's riddle to Israel in chapter 17, Jerusalem is likened to a cedar of Lebanon and the king to the highest branch thereof and the princes to the tops of the young twigs thereof. But they were planted by Nebuchadnezzar and grew into a vine of low stature. Such was the fate of those who despised God's oath.

Wood
in the negative sense, the work of men's hands. I Cor. 3:12 and Deut. 4:28, II Kings. 19:18 same word as trees (see)

YSIC
Sandie
Walk in the Spirit
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.